“Great choice in Athens, GA!”

Holiday Inn Express Athens
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Seongnam
“Great choice in Athens, GA!”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Super efficient check-in and check-out, although the front staff weren't the friendliest (but I'll take efficiency over friendliness)...Decent breakfast spread and fast internet...rooms were typical 2 queen-size bed room similar to Marriott or Hilton Garden Inn...in the middle of downtown Athens, so within walking distance of restaurants and nightlife...Very satisfied

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank thelonious22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed July 17, 2013

this hotel is located directly across the street from the projects ,when I opened my curtains people were looking in room from across street,and doing drugs in broad daylight,the first nite we were there a very scary looking drugged up lady was lying in hallway nxt to our room ,coughing n gurgling horrifically after awhile she left or went in a room was also charged 13 extra $ on debit card w/no explanation

Room Tip: if u stay mite want to get room upstairs
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank shawn s
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Shawn S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the issues you have encountered during your stay with us. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I attend AthFest every summer, and typically the Holiday Inn a couple blocks closer to downtown offers a package; however, this year the special rate was only available at this location. Parking's a breeze, the walk to town is convenient, and the gal who checked us in was super-friendly. The morning that we were departing, I had the pleasure of receiving friendly assistance from what appeared to be a manager, as I was having difficulty getting one of the vending machines to work; he was so nice and didn't charge me for what I needed to buy. The breakfast buffet line snaked all the way down the hallway, so I passed and scooted to the side for coffee (generic, nothing special, but it woke me up) and a banana. My husband chose to wait out the line, and his eggs were a little too slippery and goopy w/ cheese, but the other items that he plated were pretty tasty.

Now the room: I can see why people have been commenting about renovations going on (although I didn't witness any of it), b/c the rooms are showing definite signs of age-wear. Truthfully though, I wasn't expecting elegance; just a comfy place to sleep off a fun weekend of music, eating, drinking and walking around, and the room provided just that - a very, very comfy bed! My biggest complaint though was that the shower didn't drain at all, so after only a few minutes, my feet were submerged in a couple inches of grody water.

A few negatives aside, if this is the place that offers an AthFest package next year, I will gladly stay there again, for the convenience, the price, and most importantly their gracious, helpful, and outstanding customer service!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RockLobster622
Lansing, Michigan, United States
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Nice, clean hotel with friendly staff. The breakfast was good, the pool was clean and the rooms were well maintained. My only complaint is that the bathroom did not have a fan. In 100+ degree Georgia heat and humidity that is a must. All in all a great stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Stacy A
Athens
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Hotel under some construction, so made things a little difficult at times. Had long wait at check in due to one unruly customer in front of me. Picked hotel for its location and it did not disappoint. Clean comfortable rooms.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Christopher K,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We are pleased to see the cleanliness, and location of the hotel were highlights of your stay. It is unfortunate the behavior of other guests marred your experience.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at the Holiday Inn Express. For the money, which was about half the cost of other hotels in downtown Athens, I thought it was a very good deal. Free breakfast, free wi-fi, and free parking. The other places that I have stayed downtown in the past have charged extra for all those things, so that made HIE an even better value. Our room was clean, and had a king bed, small sofa, coffee table, and desk. However, the bathroom was tiny (really only room for 1 person), but I suspect that reflects the age of the building. It's a short walk to downtown restaurants, bars, and shops, which was the primary reason that we chose it. We never heard other guests when we were in our room, so that was a plus.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Pa,USA
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I wasn't expecting a lot based on the other reviews I read but We were pleasantly surprised.. The hotel is under renovations. Our room is quite nice.. It could use new carpet but otherwise is freshly painted.. Updated bath.. Granite countertops.. Wonderful pillow top bed.. Pleasant and helpful desk clerks. Better than average free breakfast..and a great location... Walk to great restraints and shopping. Well worth the reasonable price. This was a business trip for my husband but I tagged along.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business