“Other reviews wrong...best motel in Athens and an incredible value.”

Howard Johnson Inn Athens
Howard Johnson Inn Athens
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Ansbach
“Other reviews wrong...best motel in Athens and an incredible value.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2010

Due to a death in the family several members of our family stayed at the HoJo in Athens for several nights in July and we could not have asked for a better experience or better service, especially at the price (less than $45 a night including taxes and breakfast). This is a typical motel and not a resort by any stretch of the imagination but it is clean, well maintained and safe. The people who work in the motel are typial Athenians - friendly and willing to do what they can to make the stay pleasant. The motel has a good wi-fi connection, free local and long distance phone calls, a decent breakfast (nothing to write home about) a HUGE pool for the kids, is in a good location (not downtown but close) coffee in the room, refrigerator, and microwave. It is about 5 minutes from the motel to a strip of restaurants and the always important Wal-Mart and there is a very good Mexican restaurant located adjacent to the motel. I can't imagine what anyone would expect from a sub $50 a night motel but this one delivers above and beyond for the price.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank bobby H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Goodspring, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2010

Reserved the room online based on internet pics...my husband, me, and my young child arrived to check in and found they were doing maintenance to the parking lot and there were some very shady workers doing the work...could not park our vehicle near our room and when my husband went to park around back, there was a prositution ring going on with some known drug deals as well...myself and my daughter entered the room while he was parking and found the room to stink, smelling of mildew, pet odor, and unexplainable odors...four doors to my room...entrance from hallway, sliding glass doors to the outside area, and a door on each wall which only had cheap turn bolt locks...when my husband reported to me about what was going on just feet from our room, we went and checked out immediately...not a safe or healthy place for anyone to lay your head down...highly NOT recommended for anyone!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Athens hotels

Atlanta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2009

The room was not cleaned prior to our arrival. the room did have used towels and smelled liked cigarette smoke even though it was non -smoking room.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
krazietangerine
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2009

My friends and I booked this hotel because we thought we were getting a good deal with our flights...boy were we wrong! We were there for a work interviews and to check out grad school campuses. Location isn't the problem, but we were surprised to see that a motel with a known name was kept so run down. The bathroom was not kept up-to-date with the wallpaper falling and unfilled holes. Although the service and people working there were nice and approachable, I know now not to book flight + hotel as a way to save some money.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank krazietangerine
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2009

I stayed here for the homecoming weekend against Tennessee Tech....The location of the hotel was perfect for us...not too far from downtown or the stadium but far enough away from the crowds of downtown....the rooms were clean, beds were comfortable....the hotel has a free breakfast every morning and offers free wifi throughout the hotel....the staff was helpful and courteous.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank frigidaire1231
GA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

My girlfriend and I needed a hotel late at night because we found out our apartment was infested with spiders. Not the most pleasent thing ever. After looking around Athens for a place to stay for a few hours (we checked in at around 3am) until morning, we checked in here because it was the cheapest hotel in town. We were in the room for 30 minutes, and then had to leave because of the following reasons:

1) There were bugs all over the room
2) There were pubic hairs in the bed
3) The room reeked of smoke
4) There was what appeared to be semen stains on the comforter
5) There were weird noises coming from other rooms. Did not feel safe and felt that there was a bunch of prostitution and/or drugs going on here.

The hotel would not give us our money back either. Waste of money. Waste of time. DO NOT STAY HERE! Manager was a total jerk when I tried to get money back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

I'm a business traveler. I travel 35 weeks out of a year, and I usually stay in some pretty nice hotels. I will admit that I am a bit of a "hotel snob". I know that thousands have slept in the hotel bed before me, and showered in the hotel shower-however I NEVER want to see any traces of another person being there. Cleaniness is important! My partner and I had to go to Athens, GA but did not want to spend a lot on a hotel. We had stayed at the Hampton Inn before and it was pretty decent. After reading some reviews, we went with the cheaper hotel so that we could stay a few extra days. I was really ok with the room. A little old school, but it was clean. I did not have an unpleasant smell although I could smell that heavy scent of cover-up (Febreeze, Lysol, etc.) The room did surpass my expectations; it was a 2 star hotel at $47/ night. I really expected worse. It wasn't bad at all. Of course the bed wasn't as nice and comfortable as what is offered by the Hilton Family of hotels, but it was half the price! There were a lot of familes there and the location appreared to be pretty safe. The hotel was pretty quiet and the people seem to be enjoying the pool. We didn't eat any of the free breakfast. I would definitely stay again for a short trip. Great location too! Not far from downtown Athens and close to a lot of the popular chain restaurants and stores. Free wifi and free parking! Now that is something that I am use to paying for.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business