“DISGUSTING!”

Howard Johnson Inn Athens
Howard Johnson Inn Athens
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed November 17, 2011

We recently booked a trip home from the middle east for R&R, and we wanted to attend a GA game before we came back. Of course everything in town was booked solid so we took the only rooms we could find which were here at Howard Johnson Athens. This hotel was DISGUSTING. We wanted three non-smoking rooms and were told that we would have to have ONE smoking room and two non-smoking rooms which we agreed to (only because we thought that was all they had). We ended up paying $150 each per night for these rooms as well. Way to rip off your customers hojo! When we arrived ALL of the rooms were smoking rooms and they REEKED. The smell was AWFUL. However, that wasn't the worst part- the rooms were FILTHY. There were holes in the walls and the bed sheets were stained. The bathroom had not been cleaned and the carpets were OILY in spots (I can't even describe to you how GROSS it was). We opted to leave ten minutes after checking in and chance finding rooms elsewere (We did and they were FABULOUS-- and CHEAPER). When I asked to speak to the manager about our rooms he was incredibly rude, raising his voice and yelling at me. When I tried to explain WHY we refused to stay there and told him that the rooms were very dirty and we had children with us, he said "What do you expect? This is Howard Johnson not the Hilton." To which I asked if my money was worth less at howard johnson than at the Hilton and did he not think that the LEAST we deserved for $150 a night was clean sheets?" and he told me that I should not "speak in this big language he didn't understand" and should "stop being nasty." He was an Indian gentleman and coming from living in the middle east I am VERY acustomed to speaking to people for whom English is not their first language. I was in no way being nasty to him or speaking down to him but he continued to yell. My husband was outside during all of this (thank God) and when I told him what happened he called the 1-800 number and voiced our complaint. We were still charged $57 a night for each room that we didn't stay in and all we received after the investigation was an email from the manager with an apology. This is unacceptable and so unprofessional. I will NEVER stay at a Howard Johnson again, anywhere. I'm also passing on what happened to me to everyone I can so that they don't make the unfortunate mistake of giving their money to a company that obviously doesn't respect it's customers. I guess it's my fault for thinking that Howard Johnson was a reputible business.. it is "howard johnson" after all.. I guess I should have expected dirty rooms, rude people and to be robbed of my money.

Room Tip: Don't stay here- do yourself a favor and book elsewhere.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ga f

Reviewed October 10, 2011

NIce clean rooms for a great price. Staff very pleasant and helpful. You can't beat the location from EVERYTHING!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2011

My wife and I stayed here July, 2011, while we were visiting the Botanical Gardens. I had some apprehension because of the mixed nature of the reviews, but since we were staying only only one night, I took the risk. The place was among the nicest place we stayed during our whole 2 week vacation (second only to the Marquise Marriott in downtown Atlanta, where the cost was 9 times as much!) Our room, and the whole facility, was immaculately clean. The room was nicely furnished, with huge TV, spacious, bright bathroom, and comfortable king bed. The check-in and check-out was flawless. Most surprising was a very nice breakfast in the lobby, which went beyond the normal cold foods. We were extremely satisfied, and the only reason I decided to write this review was that I thought that this hotel was being unfairly represented by some reviews. If you plan to be in Athens, this is a great place to stay, especially if you are budget-conscious as we are.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Robert2835
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We stayed at HoJo Athens on the way back from a trip. My feelings on the hotel are mixed. There are some pluses and minuses, depending on what sort of experience you're after. Some pluses: the location is excellent if you want access to downtown and the university. It's also within an easy drive of a good deal of restaurants, although we didn't take advantage of that due to our late arrival. We also didn't take advantage of the pool, which was hopping with what were most likely new college freshmen all the way up to the pool curfew hour. By the light of the next morning, the pool looked clean and well-cared for. We did take advantage of the Domino's Pizza delivery to the hotel, with coupons for hotel guests. The Domino's is close enough that the pizza was still piping hot when it got to my door. Another plus: 24 hour front desk service. The hotels all have a microwave, coffeemaker and fridge, and this is the largest fridge I've ever seen in a motel room. It looked to be in the neighborhood of 5 cubic feet, much bigger than the little 3 cubic feet fridges most hotels have. I'd say dump your coolers and put the food in here overnight, except the ice machine at this location has somewhat limited capabilities. This is also the first time I have ever stayed in a hotel with a safe in it. I didn't need to use the safe, but I found it an interesting addition. Needless to say, this is an older hotel that has not been remodeled in some time. It's still in great condition, considering. However, that does lead to some minuses. First and foremost, this hotel is billed as having interior hallways. Which it does. However, what it also has are sliding glass doors leading onto a porch on the outside! How is that really safer? It does point up that this hotel was built when interior hallways were not designed as a safety feature, but as a comfort feature. The inside of the room was clean, but everything was wearing down. There was something wrong with the remote to the big screen TV: it could only browse channels backwards, no matter what button you pushed, even the volume button. And the vintage 70's style bath tub drain stopper was not working - bring one of those big rubber stoppers if you intend to take a bath here. The continental breakfast was good, with a decent selection. The sausage biscuits were especially appreciated. And the staff were all really kind and helpful, full points for them. This is a good establishment with a great location. It just really needs an investor to sink some money into it, then it could be a great establishment.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank el7
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Not a bad hotel for an overnight stay. I traveled in the off season so the facilities were clean and the hotel was quiet. It had all basic requirements for business travel, but I would not say the hotel should be rated higher than 3 stars maximum. The hotel sign is difficult to see amid all the other highway signs, the sign itself is also not easy to read, so I spent an extra 15 minutes trying to locate it.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank me46Arizona
Reviewed May 16, 2011

I've done a lot of traveling and this place was the worst conditions ive ever been in. The rooms stink, bugs everywhere, shady people, and very run down.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed April 11, 2011

my stay at the howard johnson was very nice, they have friendly services the rooms are nice and clean. For the price that you pay i think it is a very pleasant place to stay it may not be the hilton or holiday inn but i really do think this is a good place to stay when you visit ATHENS,GA.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family