“Great location, clean hotel, but that's about it”

Holiday Inn Athens-University Area
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great location, clean hotel, but that's about it”
Reviewed July 2, 2007

We were in town for Athfest and decided to stay at this hotel because of the location. It's near the campus and downtown area, you can walk everywhere. The downtown area has many smaller shops and dining establishments (and bars) to keep you busy.

We arrived at the hotel early and there weren't any rooms available so we had to come back later to check in. The front desk staff I interacted with wasn't friendly or helpful.

When I got back check in was smooth and uneventful. If you're a member of the priority club program (hotel reward program), they give you water and a snack at check in. My kids thought that was great, it was a nice touch.

I was given a room in the Courtyard area, which I found to be kind of like a motel (doors go directly to the outside). The main room was clean except for the windowsill. It was a bit gritty and had a couple of dead bugs in it.

The bathroom was also clean but was starting to show mildew on the ceiling. The light fixture had a layer of dust on it, the faucets were difficult to turn on and off (tough for my kids).

The pool and seating area were nice and clean. We didn't go in the hot tub area, the water was dark and cloudy.

Parking was problematic through out our stay. I wasn't able to find a spot in the main lot by the buildings so I had to park in the lot across the street which was almost completely filled.

In the morning, there were a couple of bugs in the room. I think this was due to a space under the front door that they could crawl through. I noted this on my room evaluation form but was never contacted (it's been about a week and a half). I also mentioned the bugs at the front desk during checkout and they just said "okay".

I might stay at this hotel again if I got a room at an unbelievable bargain, but if I'm in the area again I'll most likely stay somewhere else.

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Bugs in room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Greek first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed April 21, 2007

I was in Athens for 4 days of meetings at the University of Georgia. The department with which I was working arranged my lodging and selected the Holiday Inn due to its location.

Check-in went very smoothly. My room was located on the 5th floor of the central tower. The room was nothing out of the ordinary--but it was spacious, exceptionally clean, and quiet. My only complaint in the room was with the overstuffed, very hard pillows.

I had breakfast with colleagues twice in the hotel's restaurant. They offer a buffet with typical offerings that was satisfying.

The hotel's proximity to main campus cannot be beaten. I was able to walk to all of my meetings--which were held throughout the campus. Of an evening, I could still leave the rental car parked at the hotel and find enjoyable dining within an easy walk from the hotel. Parking at the hotel is free for guests.

The property's design can be rather confusing. The hotel consists of several towers and a courtyard area--all with different types of accommodations. The central tower was served by one elevator that was unbelievably slow. After the first day, I quickly learned to add on an additional 5 minutes to my schedule to allow time for the elevator delays.

I had stayed at this property a year ago and had a very unpleasant experience. My room had been one of only 3 or 4 nestled among the conference rooms. Set-up and break-down of the meeting spaces occurred at all hours and was very disruptive. The front desk claimed that the hotel was sold out and would not place me in another room. (I didn't believe their claim since the property was far from bustling with other guests.) I specifically requested a quiet room this time around in hopes of a better experience. I'm pleased to report that it was an entirely different and very pleasant experience.

I do recommend the property--particularly if you have a need to be close to the university.

Stayed April 2007
Georgia
Reviewed November 3, 2006

I spent one night at this property while attending a meeting in town. I was assigned to one of the Courtyard rooms. These rooms are the oldest and you can park your car outside your door. I was suprised when I opened the door to my room to find a completely renovated room. Everything looked new! Checkin and checkout were both completed in a friendly and professional manner. I ate breakfast at the restaurant where the service was efficient and the buffet was great. The staff in the restaurant were all very pleasant! I would stay at this location again in downtown Athens.

• Stayed November 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank gatravel
Georgia
Reviewed August 7, 2006

Shortly after our stay and the receipt of my e-mail to the hotel, the manager called my fiancé and me and invited us down to the property. At this meeting was the main manager for the Athens Holiday/Hilton properties, the catering manager, and another manager. These individuals cared about our experiences the weekend of April 8th, 2006. They listened to our concerns, entertained suggestions, and promised to never allow our issues to happen in the future, to anyone. The area manager has kept in contact with me since this meeting and has been nothing but wonderful.

I believe that the Holiday Inn cares about its patrons and the people in this town. I believe they learned a great deal from what happened that weekend and I do not think anything like this will happen again. I now plan on blocking off a group of rooms at this hotel for our wedding the weekend of 12/15/-12/16 2006. I will keep tripadvisor posted regarding our future experiences, but I have the feeling that we will experience only the best in service.

• Stayed July 2006
3 Thank jessie_roxanne
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 14, 2006

We stayed here for 3 nights while we were attending my neice's graduation from UGA. It was a perfect location for that. We ended up paying about $440 for 3 nights. We were able to walk to all the events. We also walked to dinner each night.

We were pleasantly surprised with this hotel. Check in was not too promising. The person forgot to give us a parking permit and seemed to be very in experienced. We were given a room in the North Tower. We had reserved a suite and got a room with a board room attached (board room meaning big table with leather chairs). Anyway that was okay but not really what we were expecting. When my sister mentioned that to the desk they immediately lowered our room rate to just a standard king. Saved us about $75. It was a nice touch.

Had drinks at the bar...nice service. Good drinks. Were very nice and served our group outside one night. The free breakfast was pretty good. Bagels, English Muffins, fruit, cereal....some yogurt, juice...some other stuff as well. And my sister's favorite, mini waffles with fresh strawberries. Usual coffee and tea as well.

My husband and I ordered room service for lunch one day. Both of us really liked our sandwiches. Onion rings were pretty good. Sevice was prompt and pleasant.

Gym was a dissappointment. Did not inspire me to work out. On the plus side free internet at the business center. Also free high speed access in the rooms.

Quite frankly I was not expecting anything great and this hotel far exceeded my expectations. The room and bathroom was exceptionally clean. Towels were nice and okay size. Got free newspapers, coffee and tea in room, and a fridge in the room. The fridge might have been there because of the suite. Sheets were nice and bed was comfortable. Bathroom was very big...good shower.

While I don't expect to return to Athens, I would probably stay here again. I think that I might check out the executive tower...It seemed a little more high end...but don't know that for sure.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank dcdogmom
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 22, 2006

The common areas and the older rooms need a major overhaul especially for the price you pay for a room. On another note, the location is great. You can park at the hotel and pretty much walk to anywhere you need to be in downtown Athens. The staff was friendly and upgraded us to a Tower room with a view. I really wish I could say more in favor of this hotel, but until they renovate....I just can't.

• Stayed March 2006
2 Thank gwenniepigz
New Jersey
Reviewed March 9, 2006

We stayed at Holiday Inn, Athens for business at UGA. Obviously if we would have been placed in the Towers we may have had a different experience. However, we stayed in the older rooms which are equivalent to a "drive up to your door" motel. The rooms needed major renovations, paint peeling, mold in the closets and bathrooms, very bland decor and I was very concerned about security. As a woman staying alone in the room I couldn't sleep knowing that people could walk by and look into my window. I didn't pay to stay at a Motel 6 but I felt like I stayed at one. The one saving grace at this hotel was that the pool, spa and fitness center was very nice and clean. But I wouldn't stay here again unless they totally renovated...or stay in the towers.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business