“Don't stay in the older rooms....scary.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Athens-University Area

Holiday Inn Athens-University Area
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Athens
New Jersey
“Don't stay in the older rooms....scary.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2006

We stayed at Holiday Inn, Athens for business at UGA. Obviously if we would have been placed in the Towers we may have had a different experience. However, we stayed in the older rooms which are equivalent to a "drive up to your door" motel. The rooms needed major renovations, paint peeling, mold in the closets and bathrooms, very bland decor and I was very concerned about security. As a woman staying alone in the room I couldn't sleep knowing that people could walk by and look into my window. I didn't pay to stay at a Motel 6 but I felt like I stayed at one. The one saving grace at this hotel was that the pool, spa and fitness center was very nice and clean. But I wouldn't stay here again unless they totally renovated...or stay in the towers.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank jtfs792

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Flower Mound, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2006

I did not have the opportunity to stay at this hotel due to the fact i was rushed to the emergency room the day I intended to check in. After notifing the hotel management and accounting department of my reason to termininate my reservation, they gave me no refund, no voucher for a future visit and have been quite rude over the phone. The young lady at the front desk even chuckled at the mention of my trip to the hospital. I'm sure the hotel is fine to stay at, but do not expect a high level of customer service from the hotel staff and management.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank aubrntigers
DeLand, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2006

This hotel was recommended to me by a friend in Athens, it was an excellent choice. I stayed in the North Tower with my wife and my year old daughter. The room was great, very clean, and my wife is very paticular about the bathroom being clean, she was impressed. They have a free continental breakfast, with fresh Waffles made by Joe, on the third floor of the north tower, the breakfast area is very small and was frustrating to my wife with the baby stroller, but the waffles were hot and the coffee was fresh. She opted to return to the room with her breakfast.
The hotel is located on the north end of UGA, infact we even walked the campus before dark, even as far as the Sanford Stadium. It is very close to some excellent restaurants, and it even has it's own. I liked their German Chocalate cake. I have only heard of one bad thing at the hotel, and that is the "Courtyard area" can run amuck with students on the weekends. We did not see or hear this so I cant tell you for sure. I will definetly stay here again.
Also for a very nice cajun dinner try Harry Bissets, very high class and excellent food.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank b25pilot
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2005

stayed after a long day in the recording studio - very nice comfortable beds and extremely clean. the experience was overall a pleasant surprise but then again for $75/night it should be clean and nice.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2005

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Athens for two nights (July 22 and 23, 2005.) Our stay was nothing but fabulous. The room was very clean and very large, the A/C worked exceptionally well, especially with a heat alert in effect at the time. The staff was extremely friendly. The parking was no problem (This isn't one of those places where you back up to your room door.) The bed was extrmemley comfortable (to the point of looking to see what kind of mattress was being used.) This hotel is about as convenient as they get. Checkin is easy and checkout is even easier. I've stayed at other hotels in Athens and this is the best. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank corp104
Birmingham, AL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2005

North Tower was very good. Even though they were busy we had no problems. Very clean, wallpaper peeling a little in bathroom. Executive room was very big. Location is great for campus and downtown. Parking a little trouble, but not too bad. Room Service was good. Small breakfast area in north tower but well attended.

• Stayed June 2005
2 Thank auburnanna
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2005

as advertised the hotel has three different types of rooms. They have tower rooms, pool rooms and other rooms which are a bit old. At first the hotel is a jumble to figure out, but we quickly got the hang of it. The staff were super nice and went out of their way to be helpful. For example I needed a few copies and the front desk staff made them with problem or cost. The pool was a really cold, so we spent most of our time in the hot tub instead. Looked like a lot of remodeling going on. Right next to downtown Athens and UGA. We didn't mind our room because we got a great rate, but I can see other people being a little shocked by the differences between the rooms (tower rooms are nicer).

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business