“Nice Hotel”

Holiday Inn Athens-University Area
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed May 2, 2014

I was recently in Athens visiting a number of family members and decided it would just be easier to stay in a hotel. After looking on TripAdvisor I decided on the Holiday Inn, primarily because of location and price.
The hotel is located right downtown next to the entrance to the University of Georgia. It is one of 4 hotels right in the downtown. The location is perfect for going out in the evening for dinner and bar hopping and enjoying this city’s vibrant downtown nightlife. As I didn’t have a car staying in town was obviously the best choice.
I will agree with other postings that the hotel was laid out in a rather odd way. It’s clearly made up of three separate buildings that were constructed at different times. This wasn’t any kind of issue, just something I mention given that others posted about it. Also mentioned in other posts was the construction. Thankfully, when I was staying here the construction was nearly complete (with the exception of the pool area) so I ran into no issues around this.
It’s a nice hotel. Very much typical of a Holiday Inn. Not overly fancy or anything. The room in was in was located in the “Executive Tower.” It was quite large with a king size bed, sofa and desk area. It was well laid out and very clean. The bathroom was spacious.
The staff were very pleasant and accommodating. Check in was easy and friendly. I didn’t eat in the restaurant but I did spend a few hours in the bar over the week I was there. I wish I could recall the bartenders name. She was awesome, gracious, and a load of fun.
Also, I’ll mention that the price was very, very reasonable. Another reason I chose this over other downtown hotels. Given the length of my stay of a week the cost was a more importatnt consideration than it would have been for a shorter stay. (I had considered the Indigo as I’ve stayed in those in other cities and really enjoy them. The Holiday Inn was a bit less cost but my cousin had also told me that while the Indigo in Athens is a really nice, cool hotel it’s immediate neighborhood surroundings are a bit sketchy – especially as I had no car and was walking everywhere.)
I would definitely recommend the Holiday Athens.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Athens-University Area

Reviewed April 17, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Holiday Inn in Athens. We stayed here during Masters week. Front desk staff was very pleasant and professional. The rooms were clean and neat. Hotel provides an adequate quick bite and coffee. Great restaurants and bars just blocks away. I will definitely return.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Very convenient for downtown Athens. Normal Holiday Inn standards, this hotel is quite old but kept in good shape, very clean and tidy. The breakfast could be better but I suppose you get what you pay for

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Athens-University Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Dear davefarnhill,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Again, thank you for your valuable insights. We hope that you would consider us again on your next travel.

Connie D

Reviewed April 6, 2014

The hotel and hotel rooms were very clean. The hotel staff and very nice and accommodating. Will definitely stay here again next time I'm in Athens. I thought it very strange that there was no refrigerator or microwave.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Athens-University Area, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear DHungry,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative of your comments about our clean hotel. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge the staff concerned.

I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Jaime W

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Maybe I just had a good experience (like some people have bad experiences?) The front desk was professional even when inundated with 30 of us checking in at once. They did whatever they needed to do. I was upgraded to a suite and that was great. I saw construction but didn't experience any problems with it. I wished I'd stayed here for my whole trip. We only used the restaurant for breakfast and they seemed a little out of it. A little inexperienced. There was a buffet and the food was hot. I'd stay here again next time I'm in Athens.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Troubled Stay in early March due to the construction mess and inconvenience. Hopefully, this will be finished soon. Had trouble accessing my room due to front desk mistake and parking was difficult to find. The restaurant/bar staff was friendly and they took good care of me. Location is great, downtown is just a block away with plenty of restaurants and shops. May return again, once the construction and remodeling project is finished. No complimentary breakfast, but plenty of nearby options including a Starbucks.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Athens-University Area, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear seriousworldwanderer,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. I appreciate and wish to thank you for the kind words intended for the restaurant and bar staff. On the other hand, let me take this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. In addition, we are under going renovations to make your future stay more comfortable and pleasurable. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Stayed a night here during a work-related trip and it was a very comfortable stay. Didn't interact much with the front desk but they seemed pleasant. Room was nice and the beds were very comfortable (A/C didn't seem to get too cool, but it was good enough). It is important to note that this hotel doesn't provide free breakfast, but the Holiday Inn express nearby does. However, there are a bunch of nice bars/restaurants within walking distance and the hotel itself has a restaurant which seemed to be packed with people, so I assume it was good. There is some construction going on on the hotel grounds, so parking was a little iffy. Overall, it was nice and I would recommend.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Shauna P, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Athens-University Area, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

To "Comfortable Stay,"

Thank you so much for taking to time to give us feedback on your stay! We're glad to hear that you had a pleasant experience, and that you enjoyed the time spent in our town and at our location. We apologize for any difficulties you may have had with the air conditioning and construction, and offer our sincerest regrets that we were unable to offer you breakfast. Thanks again and we hope to see you back soon!