“In the heart of downtown Athens”

Holiday Inn Athens-University Area
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Great location and close to everything. ALL of the hotel staff were super friendly and professional. The restaurant is immaculate and the food was amazing. Other than noise in the halls from passing guests, our stay was a great one. Loved the "college town" atmosphere too. Will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the executive building (5th floor) which was recently remodeled.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Athens-University Area

Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Very nice. Recently remodeled. Early check in with absolutely no problem. Right on edge of University of Georgia, which is fantastic, but leads to the only negative... A lot of outside noise from people coming and going and from on campus construction. Not ear splitting by any means, but noticeable.

Would absolutely stay again. Might bring ear plugs though.....

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this property for one night. Location could not have been better, as I was attending a concert at Georgia Theatre. Clearly from reading some of the other reviews I was in one of the already renovated rooms. Bathroom was immaculate, and all furniture looked very new. Bed was super comfortable and there was a choice of firm or soft pillows. I thought the room was very quiet, although I was running the fan continuously. However, I can see how noise would be much more of an issue on a weekend, as the property is very close to the street on all sides. Wi-fi worked great - one of the strongest signals I've had lately in a hotel. Negatives - signage to the elevators isn't real obvious, and layout is somewhat confusing. Perhaps after the renovation some "you are here"type signs with map? Also, I was informed at checkin that my credit card would be charged $50 for incidentals, and that this would be credited in several days if not used. I travel fairly extensively and don't ever recall such a charge. Perhaps this is a Holiday Inn thing (don't use this chain often), but the way it was presented almost made me wonder if I was going to be charged for soap and shampoo. If it is in fact a damage deposit then the front desk should call it that.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Usually spend at least 4 weeks at this hotel every year. All the staff are friendly and helpful, rooms are always clean and comfortable. Breakfast buffet is great and if you want your eggs made differently, they are glad to change it for you.
I can't wait to go back, hotel is updating executive suites. Should be even better now.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed at this property for 5 night in September 2013. I was VERY please with almost everything. My room was large and clean. The cable was out the first 3 nights which was quite frustrating, but was finally fixed for my last 2 night. My only other complaint was the indoor pool (which I think is being renovated now) was COLD!!!! My friends with 2 little boys came one afternoon to swim and it was just too cold for the kids. It's a nice pool, but a little heat would have made it perfect. This property is doing some major construction, but it wasn't really an issue for me. I stayed in the North Tower with a room right on the "main" drag in Athens and it was very quiet. Because of the construction parking can be a little tough, but for the most part it was fine. I would definitely stay here again and am in November.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Joe C
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I don't understand some of the negative reviews this hotel has received. We stayed here for the first UGA home football game of the 2013 season. It was great, in fact we felt very lucky to have gotten a room, because we reserved it the Wednesday before the Saturday game. All of our friends were surprised we got in on such short notice. This hotel usually has a long waiting list for home game weekends. I guess the tip here is to always call and check, don't rely on the online reservation system, which of course showed no availability. As for our actual stay, it was very pleasant. We had the most standard room, which only contained one queen sized bed, but it was clean and comfortable. There was a small refrigerator in the room which kept our drinks cold, and an ice machine on our floor for our tailgating cooler on Saturday. The room had a flat screen tv that we never turned on. The smallish bathroom was clean and had granite countertops. My only complaints are pretty small. The bathroom, oddly, did not have any towel racks, so we had to throw our towels on the floor instead of hanging them up to use a second time. Also, the lighting in the bathroom was not sufficient for putting on makeup and I had to sit by the window at the desk. There was a mirror there, but it still felt a little tricky to me. Other than that our stay was ideal. You can't ask for a better location. There are tons of great restaurants and bars within easy walking distance, and the stadium is a short few blocks away. We went back to our room for a quick shower after the game, which was really nice to be able to do. We also put our names on the waiting list for future game weekends. I would not hesitate at all to stay here again at any time. For home game weekends, you are required to pay for both Fri and Sat night. Ours was the most standard room, and the whole weekend was $540, which included a parking pass for one car. Yes, that is expensive, but you are paying for the location, and its a competitive rate based on my experience. I've also stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, which was also a great choice and about the same price. If I had to choose, I'd choose the Holiday Inn over the Express, simply because the location is perfect. You get a free breakfast at the Express, but it's pretty mediocre, and I'd rather walk to one of the neat Athens restaurants for breakfast anyway.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank southgeorgiagal
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Location was great ! The Hotel is under construction and we were not advised prior to reserving. Not ADA friendly. The room was difficult to get to and noisy. There was no breakfast with this hotel. Average room.

Room Tip: Ask to not face road.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Athens-University Area, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear C J R,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We regret your stay was negatively impacted by the construction works during your stay. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to make your stay as best as it can be.

Again, thank you for the feedback and our apologies for the shortcomings.

Connie D