“Under Renovation & Terrible Room”

Holiday Inn Athens-University Area
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Under Renovation & Terrible Room”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

We checked in late last Thursday and were told we had the last room in the hotel. I think this was an attempt to lower our expectations for our room. We were told we had a queen bed, fine for us, but then got to the room and it was a double bed. The room was small and dirty and to top it off we were basically right across the hall from a construction site. I used the restroom next to the hotel restaurant and saw a cockroach. That was the end of story for me. Won't stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Loose_Change
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Athens-University Area, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Loose_Change,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the room assigned to you and our on going renovations. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed here one night & found this property to very confusing. The hotel is being renovated so the business center wasn't bear the lobby & located in another building instead. Two different people stopped me in the hall to ask about rooms because the elevators they were in didn't take them to their room. Apparently there is a separate elevator for different room numbers. It appears an old part of the hotel or a hotel next door is being demolished but I could be wrong. There wasn't a ton of parking because of the mess outside. Hotel staff was very nice & the room was a typical Hol Inn. I didn't take advantage of any of the amenities since I was only there for one night. It's in a good location for the University or downtown. I would stay here again.

Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed there last week for a business trip. While he was working, I was able to explore the hotel. Every day I ate at the hotel's breakfast and lunch buffet...and all I can say is WOW. Manager Linz Queen is super friendly and goes out of her way to ensure customers have a great experience at the restaurant. I was there at the same time a large volleyball group was there and I was worried that the service would go down. I was wrong. The food is delicious, manager is super friendly, and the servers were great. We also ate dinner there twice and although the dinner selection isn't very broad, the food they do have is delicious.

Regarding the room, it was quiet and spacious. We had a deluxe king room. Housekeeping staff is friendly and does a great job.

We will definitely stay here again if we are ever in Athens.

Boiling Springs, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed four nights while taking a class at UGA. The staff were very friendly and helpful with directions and dinner recommendations. The room looked recently renovated. It was comfortable and, most importantly, quiet. The only thing missing was a refrigerator. I will stay there again, if I return to UGA.

1 Thank dea421753
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stay here every year for AthFest in the summer, and have never been overly-disappointed. The absolute best part is the location; walking distance to everything downtown is a score. And truthfully, after a night of walking, drinking and eating, this hotel ultimately is just a place to let my head hit the pillow. The service at the front desk is ... pokey. No matter the time of day that I've ever arrived, they always seem short-staffed; however, for the most part, they seem sincerely happy and helpful. The cleanliness is a toss-up; I've found that the rooms on occasion have areas that their housekeeping staff neglects, but as I said, as long as the sheets are clean and comfy, I'm not there for luxury - I'm there for the fantastic location and reasonable rates. And I will continue to stay at this particular Holiday Inn, but I have to remind myself to allow for extra time at check-in.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn for 2 nights while attending a workshop at the University. The hotel was clean, quiet, and the desk staff was friendly. The wifi worked well also. I had no complaints about my room. The hotel is conveniently located right next to downtown and within walking distance of the university. I do agree with other reviewers that it would be nice to have free breakfast, and I can't speak to whether or not the nearby Holiday Inn Express is better or cheaper.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this Holiday Inn during a recent pleasure trip to GA. We stayed 2 nights in Athens at this hotel.

Hotel is very nice and very close to the University, maybe about 2 blocks away. Our room was very clean, really nice with a king bed and room to spread out. The room was larger than the typical Holiday Inn "Express" room and the bed was beyond comfortable. The rate we paid was very competitive but we check extensively before we book for the best rate possible.

In the morning the hotel had a full breakfast provided for free. The food was actually good and consisted of more than the usual sweet stuff set out by most hotels. Plus you can sit down and eat your breakfast in the large front lounge area that has nice tables and tv's. So while you eat you can catch up on the news if you like.

We were provided with excellent service by the front desk staff at check-in and check-out and never had any problem. The hotel seems that it may be a bit older, by the look of the elevator, but it was very clean and well kept when we visited. It was also quiet but we did stay on a weeknight when most guests seemed to be either parents or business travelers.

There are several restaurants close by (the VARSITY being one of them - can you say yummy) and a Starbucks about 2 blocks away and directly across from the University entrance. Parking for the Starbucks was a problem off. All with meters, on the street and you are only allowed to stay a certain length of time.

Only drawback is that there are multiple signs posted in the parking lot that the hotel is not responsible for damage or anything that happens to your car. The property does have a fence around it and I did see some security at night. I suppose these notices are posted because of the University being close by and, lets face it, sometimes staying that close to big schools can cause problems. But we didn't experience any problems at all.

If we go back to this area we would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple