“Great Holiday Inn Hotel!”

Holiday Inn Athens-University Area
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Orlando, Florida
“Great Holiday Inn Hotel!”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this Holiday Inn during a recent pleasure trip to GA. We stayed 2 nights in Athens at this hotel.

Hotel is very nice and very close to the University, maybe about 2 blocks away. Our room was very clean, really nice with a king bed and room to spread out. The room was larger than the typical Holiday Inn "Express" room and the bed was beyond comfortable. The rate we paid was very competitive but we check extensively before we book for the best rate possible.

In the morning the hotel had a full breakfast provided for free. The food was actually good and consisted of more than the usual sweet stuff set out by most hotels. Plus you can sit down and eat your breakfast in the large front lounge area that has nice tables and tv's. So while you eat you can catch up on the news if you like.

We were provided with excellent service by the front desk staff at check-in and check-out and never had any problem. The hotel seems that it may be a bit older, by the look of the elevator, but it was very clean and well kept when we visited. It was also quiet but we did stay on a weeknight when most guests seemed to be either parents or business travelers.

There are several restaurants close by (the VARSITY being one of them - can you say yummy) and a Starbucks about 2 blocks away and directly across from the University entrance. Parking for the Starbucks was a problem off. All with meters, on the street and you are only allowed to stay a certain length of time.

Only drawback is that there are multiple signs posted in the parking lot that the hotel is not responsible for damage or anything that happens to your car. The property does have a fence around it and I did see some security at night. I suppose these notices are posted because of the University being close by and, lets face it, sometimes staying that close to big schools can cause problems. But we didn't experience any problems at all.

If we go back to this area we would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Greek first
Weehawken, New Jersey
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I was in Athens for one night and I ended up staying at the Holiday Inn in downtown. The desk agent by the name of Lauren was very helpful and is an outstandning agent. The room is ok but the beds are comfortable! During my stay I did not get a chance to eat at Redfearn but the restaraunt looks great in the inside. Definitely reccomend this place anytime in Athens.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
North Carolina
Reviewed May 12, 2013

During my first visit to Athens, I spent 2 nights at this hotel. I found the location to be convenient to the UGA campus for a graduation, but on the other hand, I am sure there are better choices. I just don't know the area well enough to know them. Most hotels were booked solid during graduation weekend, so this was a place to rest my head, BUT NOT SLEEP!

I was in the "executive tower" on the 7th floor and the noise from the exterior of the building (cars drag racing, people on the street screaming, bar noise from a few blocks over, etc) made it nearly impossible to sleep. I tried to drown on the sound with my AC fan, but the constant fan option on the machine did not work. The room was a decent size, but dated. I found the staff I encountered, one of the kindest cleaning ladies and men who brought a crib to our room, to be very pleasant.

Pros: Kind staff (cleaning people, maintenance man and person who delivered baby crib,) proximity to UGA, "free" buffet breakfast in the morning. The restaurant had a nice decor, pleasant staff and decent buffet. Maintenance man was cordial and quickly fixed an issue with our room door. I liked the scent of the shampoo and lotion they provide (Bath and Body Works Coconut Lime Verbena.)

Cons: Noise from other rooms and exterior of hotel, cleanliness (hair from previous guest in sink, toilet, tub), water stains on toilet were kind of gross upon arrival, wet carpet upon arrival near bathroom door, AC did not operate correctly
Value? What value? Charged almost $100 at check-in on top of the initial reservation to prevent me from ruining my hotel room. Seriously?! I've had the privilege of staying in some of the most exclusive properties around the world and they were concerned about me trashing their "regal" room. Difficulty finding bell carts in executive tower building.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Athens-University Area, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear SarahKNC,

Thank you for taking the time to send in your comments regarding your recent stay. Your feedback is very helpful to us as we establish our best path to providing successful guest satisfaction.

Let me take this opportunity to apologize for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and I regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations in some aspects. Nevertheless, I want to assure you that the points you've raised in this review will be looked into.

While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Joel B
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

We managed to secure the last room in the hotel last night. For a small king bed room it was $185. That is twice what we paid at a Holiday Inn Express the night before. First, I think the room rate was increased significantly because it was the last one which is absolute usury. Second, I can't imagine now after staying in the original Holiday Inn and the Holiday Inn Express why I'd stay in a Holiday Inn in future rather than the Express. The Express includes a hot breakfast! And all of the Express rooms I've stayed in have been at least 25% larger than any Holiday Inn I've stayed in.

To be fair, the place was clean and service was friendly. The value was terrible and our floor had a sports team of teens that wanted to run and make noise until I poked my head out and gave them the stink eye. If you're ever in Athens, do yourself a favour and opt for the Express down the hill and walk the 15 min up the hill into downtown you'll save on the room AND not have to buy breakfast the next morning.

• Stayed May 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Athens-University Area, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Laura R,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. It is great to know that you found our location to be clean and our staff accommodating. However, I'd like to apologize that your stay was negatively affected by the noise levels experienced on site and if you found our rates to be steep than usual. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into and I appreciate you bringing them into our attention as this is our best means of improving guest satisfaction.

We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Pam G
Conover, North Carolina
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I like holiday inn. Am a platinum member.....yet again. I have also rented from this athens, georgia main holiday inn for four years when in this area. That occurs several times annually for several nights per stay. Sometimes, several rooms for several nights. This day, thursday may 9, 2013, i rented three roons for three nights each. For some reason, which i shall report in a moment, each room was billed, at check in, $93 additional for "incidental charges". I am being charged $206, before taxes, per room prior to the desk girl adding my $93 per room before anything. I asked why . She told me that it is always done. Nope. Never was. My iphone notifies me per every charge made on my visa. They never in four years did this. I showed her my charge notice per room, as i was signing room papers. She then told me, not that i will, but in case i tear up the room, this is for that. If i tear up the room, $93 is not going to fix it! I am almost sixty years old. Have yet to tear up a hotel room. I am currently unhappy with this location because of their desk staff. The rooms are fine. Desk clerk is wrong in that never have they perviously billed me this way; then told me it was to protect them in case i tear up their fine rooms.

Room Tip: Dont pick here first.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Springlake425
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Athens-University Area, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Springlake425,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I would like to apologize for any confusion about regarding the rates. We are hospitality professionals who work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we strive to provide service rates that are competitive in the area. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our service continually.

To better assist you on your next stay, please do not hesitate to approach the Manager on Duty.

Janice A
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was upgraded to the Executive Tower - Ha ha ha.....The "executive suite" room was dirty and smelly of that old stale hotel room without operable windows. Heading into the bathroom I was shocked to find that housekeeping missed this one and left me a nice hairy soap bar in the shower - GROSS....Once in the shower the head was clogged with gunk and if there was pressure it couldn't get through...The best part of the bath experience is when you open the bathroom door from a hot shower it sets oft the smoke detector...so 2 showers = 2 hassles....Then 2 weeks after checkout I get hit with "incedental charges" and the accounting clerk accusing me of smoking in their filthy room - Like you could tell over the dank mold smell....

Room Tip: If you are looking for real comfort over location choose another property - this is just close to ca...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Athens-University Area, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear joegetz,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for.

I am very disappointed to hear about your experiences. I want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service and quality of its product and as such, I apologize if the cleanliness of your room and bathroom affected your overall experience. Additionally, I am truly sorry for the inconvenience caused by our shower facility.

Your comments will certainly be looked into and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. I hope you give our hotel another chance.

Dhan M
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed April 23, 2013

A good hotel in the Holiday Inn tradition right on the edge of the University campus! Spacious rooms, good public space, a decent restaurant and a pleasant staff make this an ideal location for a weekend in Athens. The room rates are modest. The restaurant provides a full breakfast menu and a decent dinner menu with some interesting specials scattered throughout the week. Expect a full house as this hotel has become a magnet for travelers, a favorite of small conventions and a meeting place for local groups.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family