“Room was nice but weird...”

Holiday Inn Athens-University Area
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Well, this was interesting. We booked our room through a deal on Priceline so we saved about $40 for the night. We checked in around 6:30 and there was a kid's soccer team that had taken over the place so we were put in a King Executive Suite in the Executive Tower. Parking is free but it was a pain to find a space. Luckily someone was leaving to get dinner and we snagged that space.

After making it across the parking lot we used our key to get into the executive tower and our room was right by the elevator and door. Well this is where it gets weird. The Executive Tower is the old tower (The hotel has added a new tower) and in the room we were in they had turned two rooms into one but it was stupidly large! It was a plus sleeping 20 feet from the door with another door that we could close was great being that we were right by the main entrance to the building and the elevator. With that door closed it was nice and quiet. However, the strange recesses that you know used to be a closet and the large open areas that made it look like the room had been stripped of furniture left a little to be desired.

There is a full size refrigerator and a full sized sink with a microwave and a coffee maker but no stove? Why make a kitchen area so large and you can't cook anything in it? Then the living or sitting area is also humongous but not practical and it's not useful space for a traveler everything is pushed over to the side and there is an open area as if there is furniture missing. I guess this bugged me because it's a huge room but a complete waste of space! A bath tub would be an excellent addition in these rooms and would put them far above what the competition has to offer. It would also help with the vast open areas in the room.

There are two huge TVs mounted in the room (One in the sitting area and one in the bedroom). This could be great for a family staying here. The bed was horrible to me but I realize that these things are subjective. It was clearly one of those with regular springs as it sagged when you would sit on the bed but they added a mattress bad to it for a little plush. It was too soft for me and I woke up feeling like I slept on a log.

I can't really say that I would stay here again but it would be a safe bet if I couldn't get in to the Courtyard or the Hilton (I know what to expect from their beds). The Location is great as you can use the free parking and walk around most any place downtown Athens within a 15-minute walk.The room is clean (but noticeably old in some areas) the towels were awesome and so was the shower and the water pressure. If nothing else you will get the basics and they will be clean (from what I saw) but for the money it's not really what you would expect and they really should upgrade those mattresses. At most, the average night here should be something like e i g h t y d o l l a r s for a standard room but it was about f o r t y d o l l a r s more than that.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

My stay here was nice. I decided to stay here cause I was very tired on Thanksgiving night. Love the location, hotel was very quiet. The only negative was booked through Expedia , and I checked my bank account 2 days later I had the same charge from Holiday Inn. When I called he said it was an accounting error and it would be fixed on Monday. Good thing I checked my account. Overall pleasant stay.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Overall this hotel was very good. Jackie's customer service in the Grille made my experience there truly great. Check out the good good and great service in the in hotel restaurant.

Wonderful downtown location, close to all of the action that Athens has to offer.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed here during here conference. We were upgraded to the Presidential Tower Suite which had two rooms. The rooms were old school and didn't look to be remodeled. The ceiling is popcorn and after three days our clothes felt a little muggy. Every morning the window was covered with condensation on the inside from the low outside temps and the heat on inside. The HVAC's were box units that you set by the temp number but didn't always keep the correct temp. There is also no vent fan in the bathroom. It appeared that a sprinkler system was installed after the hotel was built as there is a bulkhead built around it with some pretty sloppy caulked joints.

The breakfast buffet was good and they had a variety of choices for $8.95 if you don't get a breakfast coupon. The beds were comfy and you get your choice of pillow firmness. The best part about the hotel is the location. They have free parking and you can walk anywhere downtown or on campus in just a few minutes.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I needed a place to stay for a week during a home remodel. I booked here because it was close to downtown shops and restaurants and seemed to be a good rate. After seeing the room, it didn't seem like a bargain after all. The room had a really funky smell (not smoke, just smelled old and musty or something.) The whole hotel smelled bad. The elevator smelled like a chemical cleaner so bad for an entire day I couldn't breathe in there. The room was dated and worn out and ugly and depressing. The heat/air window unit was ancient and terrifying. There were too many chairs in the room, which I used to build a barrier so the heat didn't blow a strong wind straight over the bed all night. It was mostly quiet the first few days with the exception of some guys that stayed under my window with leaf blowers for an hour (literally--I timed them after awhile!) Then a million teenagers checked in for some convention or something. They kept knocking on my door while I was sleeping and in meetings thinking I was "in their group." I finally asked to change to a quieter room away from them and was able to. It was inconvenient to switch, but worth it I guess. The next room was on a higher floor, more updated, and didn't smell funny. It still had an ancient heat/ac window unit though.
All of the staff members I interacted with were kind and professional and I appreciated them. It is just the actual hotel that is wanting.
Afterwards, a local friend told me that the Holiday Inn Express right next door is much nicer, and I knew it was a better rate. Now I know! You are probably better off going there.

Room Tip: Book at the Holiday Inn Express or Hotel Indigo.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Pros: Fantastic location within walking distance of campus and downtown shops and restaurants, ample parking, good sized rooms. Cons: Very confusing hotel layout not improved by signage or employee directions, tired rooms and bathrooms, no fan in bathrooms, no great onsite dining. We were very frustrated finding our way around, just trying to get to our rooms after check-in. Restaurant looked really unappealing, which didn't matter much because good restaurants are nearby. Wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a map before you try and navigate from the front desk to your room, especially if you're in...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Very affordable hotel directly across the street from downtown. Nothing special, basic hotel. You are getting more than you need in this case though. It is right across the street from gameday suites, which is another very nice place to stay, but more expensive than holiday inn. You can easily walk to the stadium for a game from here or just across the street to bars, dining and shopping. I recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends