“Overall A Nice Place!”

Courtyard Athens Downtown
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed June 20, 2008

I stayed here with my family and had a nice experience. The hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The facility is also clean and well kept. the layout of the building is a bit strange, and getting your luggage inside is a bit cumbersome. They have a nice pool and exercise room. We used the pool each night and my son loved it. I ate breakfast at the hotel each morning and it was more than adequate. Breakfast was approx. eight dollars a person.

Our room had a king bed. It had a nice sofa, desk, a small refrigerator and microwave oven. The bed was great and water pressure was just fine. There was a bit of noise in the hallway, but I was rooming right beside the elevator and ice/vending room. The ac unit in the room covererd most of the noise.

There was plenty of parking and the building seemed very secure. I wish Marriott had other choices in town, but this hotel is more than adequate for reward members and those who want to stay in a nice hotel room while in Athens.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Stephen L, General Manager at Courtyard Athens Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2017

Thank you for your review! I apologize for the experience during your stay. You covered a lot of great areas in your review that other guests will find helpful. We will o work in our Bistro and Front Desk to improve the service to our guest. It still amazes me the wealth of information they have of things to see and do in Athens! I appreciate the comments, we really love what we do so it’s nice that it shows through. I’ve shared your comments with the team and of course they loved them! Please on your next stay stop by the desk I’d like to thank you in person.

Best regards,

Reviewed June 8, 2008

Staying here on Marriott points. All average, make sure you find out the most convenient way to get your luggage to your room. Easy to walk into town from here. In fact I walked in for breakfast in the morning to stretch my legs and loved it. Surronding neighbourhood is nice and worth exploring.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2008

The best thing about this hotel is the staff; followed by the location. I was very disappointed with the breakfast buffet. Some people are charged; others are not. That is strange since most of Marriott's properties seem to provide breakfast gratis for platinum members. Easier and better to go down the street for breakfast. The front desk staff couldn't be more helpful. I do realize this is a college town but when we were there the smell of illegal smoking substances was overpowering! Not sure if I will check out the other options in town as I am there quite often.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank tlh63

Thank you for the great comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We knew would have a great stay with us . The Bistro is a great place to meet and have breakfast or dinner and enjoy your favorite Starbucks beverage The happy hour rocks between 5pm and 7 pm . We do pride ourselves in providing outstanding guest service and thank you for acknowledging the staff and how helpful they were and how clean our hotel during your stay. We hope you will come back to see us the next time you are in Athens.

Reviewed October 23, 2007

Our first impression was relatively positive when we walked into our room (number 321). I was a Marriott rewards member and the hotel had honored my request to be on a high floor in a king room. The first thing we noticed was the new sprinkler in the ceiling adjacent to the original sprinkler which had apparently caused unrepaired severe water damage. We were relieved to find that the air conditioning was on upon our arrival but became aware that the room was unusually damp. Since the only way we could keep the room cool was to run the air conditioner, we decided to deal with the humidity. We finally turned the air off for the evening and went to bed. Upon turning off the foyer light, we suddenly realized it became a strobe light in the "off" position. Since we couldn't sleep with the light on & couldn't sleep with a strobe light, we resorted to blocking the light by wrapping it in a small piece of luggage as we stood on a foot stool. We finally concluded that we must have inwittingly stumbled on a sleep deprivation chamber designed to test customer's tolerance.

1  Thank Pamela W
Reviewed October 16, 2007

Looks like a Microtel on the outside. Feels like a Sleep In on the inside. Very noisy...yes, I know it is a college town, but the room layout has beds close to door (just like a Sleep In) and slamming doors and loud talking in the hall disrupted sleep.

Was also informed that since I booked the AAA rate, I was not eligible for a complimentary buffet breakfast...OK, so I should have paid $11 more a night to get a complimentary $7.95 breakfast???? I am Platinum, for goodness sake! I get free breakfast at the Renaissance, Marriott Suites, Marriott Hotels, Springhill Suites, and Residence Inn no matter what rate I book.

Will definitely not stay here again if ever in Athens!

Stayed: October 2007
3  Thank Tarheelchix80
Reviewed June 18, 2007

My daughter and I were there visiting the college. It was reasonably clean, easy to find, close enough to walk to fun shops and restaurants(we liked taking our car.) It had a nice basic pool area and a nice hot buffet breakfast for $8. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We thought is was quiet and very pleasant and safe. It was summer, so I don't know what it would be like on a football weekend. We got a good rate through AAA. I would stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family

Reviewed February 8, 2007

The Courtyard in Athens was good--I'd say it's pretty standard compared to the other Courtyards I've visited.

The front desk staff was very polite and helpful--they recommended a few good restaurants and they were kind to my entourage--even offered one of my co-workers a bag of Chex Mix.

The room itself was about the same as most Courtyards--comfortable, tastefully decorated and not cheesy, but there wasn't really anything that distinguished it from any other hotel I've been to. Free wireless internet is nice, though, and the room filled all of my needs.

One thing I noticed-- you could hear EVERYTHING that went on in the halls. Apparently some fellow guests started their weekend early--at about 2 am and 3:30 am, they were running around the halls yelling. On the positive side, I got a little nostalgic remembering fraternity parties I visited in college. Still, it's hard to believe that the staff didn't notice as they ran through the halls.

The restaurant was fine for breakfast--the buffet was pretty standard.

Overall, this wasn't bad at all. I'd stay here again if/when I go back to Athens.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you for the great comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. The Bistro is a great place to meet and have breakfast or dinner and enjoy your favorite Starbucks beverage The happy hour rocks between 5pm and 7 pm . We do pride ourselves in providing outstanding guest service and thank you for acknowledging the staff and how helpful they were and how clean our hotel during your stay. We hope you will come back to see us the next time you are in Athens.