“Great hotel near University of Georgia”

Courtyard Athens Downtown
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed December 26, 2012

The downtown Marriott is a great hotel for visiting Athens, Georgia. Our room (with a double bed) was spacious. The hotel added a microwave at our request. The location is within walking distance of the University of Georgia. There is a Starbucks on site. The staff was very helpful.

Room Tip: It is tricky entering and existing Fently Street. Left turns out and in are prohibited, perhaps bec...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Stephen L, General Manager at Courtyard Athens Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2017

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Athens Downtown

Reviewed November 7, 2012

My fiance and I stayed here a few weekends ago. The hotel was very nice - clean, spacious, had free wi-fi, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. There was honestly nothing too memorable about the hotel (either good or bad). It was certainly not a high luxury hotel, but made for a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chrispigirl

Thank you for staying with us ! I apologize for the experience of your last stay with us . You covered a lot of great areas in your review that other guests will find helpful. We do have several college students who work in our Bistro and Front Desk and it still amazes me the wealth of information they have of things to see and do in Athens! I appreciate the kind comments on how clean the hotel is and how friendly the staff is, we really love what we do so it’s nice that it shows through. I’ve shared your comments with the team and of course they loved them! Please on your next stay stop by the desk I’d like to thank you in person.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed here a couple years back and again this past weekend. The renovations were nicely done - the lobby with a restaurant (overly pricey for the offerings) and spacing is a bit tight, but nice go board and staff couldn't be more helpful. It's close enough to walk downtown for drinking and dining - you walk uphill to go out, downhill coming back - nice touch. It's about 3 blocks from most of the good night spots with good beer. Still no exhaust fan in the bathroom. It takes awhile for the shower steam to clear from the mirrors. The bed was comfy, it was quiet, the extra pillows were delivered as asked. And the walk-in shower in an accessible room is wonderful for someone who loves lots of hot water before sliding into bed at night. (A little pricey considering that there's no continental breakfast $129 + tax = $147 on a Friday night!)

Room Tip: Ask to get your room with its own door to the parking lot or close to the lot. The halls are windy a...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 4, 2012

While this is not necessarily the absolute nicest hotel I have been inside of in Athens, it is certainly the nicest hotel I have stayed in in Athens. The renovations that were recently done to include a Bistro and GoBoard in the lobby are fantastic, and a needed addition to the Courtyard. I always enjoy my experience when staying here, especially with the price and the new, updated look. My only concern is that it is set up along the standards for the Courtyard Brand, designed for business travelers and travelling families, but not very able to accommodate a large group in the lobby for a check-in on busy weekends, especially nights when the hotel is full due to events in Downtown Athens. All in all, one of the better places to choose from in Athens, especially considering its price compared to its location (easy walking distance of downtown).

Room Tip: There are rooms on the pool level that provide easy access to the hotel's amenities.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

WOW Thank you for your wonderful review! I apologize I’m just responding, I’ve just been able to get back into the site. You covered a lot of great areas in your review that other guests will find helpful. We do have several college students who work in our Bistro and Front Desk and it still amazes me the wealth of information they have of things to see and do in Athens! I appreciate the kind comments on how clean the hotel is and how friendly the staff is, we really love what we do so it’s nice that it shows through. I’ve shared your comments with the team and of course they loved them! Please on your next stay stop by the desk I’d like to thank you in person.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

The hotel from the outside looks outdated. We have stayed here twice. Both rooms were nice, very clean, and looks more updated than the outside.

We have stayed here twice when we were attending events at the 40 Watt. It is very close, and a nice walk!

The staff has been super friendly both times we stayed. We'll definitely stay here again when we are down for shows!

And more importantly.. the rooms are CLEAN!!! Great place for hanging downtown!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

Very nice Courtyard. Loks suspect at first but turns out to be okay. Needs to be about 3 blocks closer to campus and this would be the place. I stayed here because I'm a marrott rewards member, but next time I will stay at the hilton garden inn or the Holiday Inn. Both are in walking distance of everything downtown unlike this place. But this hotel is clean and the folks that work here are nice. Everything I asked for was taken care of or waiting when I arrived (refrigerator and pack and polay.) Nice place if you're with family and not worrid about bar hoping.

• Stayed: July 2012

Thank you for staying with us I apologize I’m just responding, I’ve just been able to get back into the site. You covered a lot of great areas in your review that other guests will find helpful. We do have several college students who work in our Bistro and Front Desk and it still amazes me the wealth of information they have of things to see and do in Athens! I appreciate the kind comments on how clean the hotel is and how friendly the staff is, we really love what we do so it’s nice that it shows through. I’ve shared your comments with the team and of course they loved them! Please on your next stay stop by the desk I’d like to thank you in person.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

This hotel is still within walking distance several blocks to downtown and actually a more comfortable neighborhood then walking from Hotel Indigo.
Rooms, however, were even smaller but nice breakfast buffet and you can sit outside on patio overlooking pool.
Clean and staff extremely accommodating.
We bid this on Priceline after leaving Hotel Indigo who wouldn't accept same price we paid all week so we left to come here.
After checking out, we had a large group that needed to stay 1 more night despite being a busy weekend, with rates going up. The manager accepted our old rate for the one more night.

Room Tip: ask for a room over looking pool but let them know you want a larger room. Some of them are smaller...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Crystal B, General Manager at Courtyard Athens Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to write a review. Although I'm sure it would have been easier had you been able to stay where you were I'm very happy you gave us a try. Our rooms can be a little smaller depending on the room type but the trade off is a large pool and a fabulous veranda. The veranda is nice anytime of the year either with a cold beverage overlooking the pool or with a hot one sitting by the fireplace. Lots of nooks to have quite conversations in so I'm really happy you enjoyed it. If you return to Athens again I hope you'll come back and stay with us! Thanks again for the review!

Hospitably,