“Great Weekend !!!”

Courtyard Athens Downtown
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We stayed at The Athen, GA. Courtyard last weekend. What an unexpected pleasure it was. While the renovation of the lobby and public spaces was underway and itleft the staff in a bit of a mess, they saw to it that it had a minimal impact on us. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were treated as if we were the only guests on the property. The room renovation was completde, and the rooms were great.. But the best part of any hotel stay is the service, and they nailed it. Staff went above and beyond to answer questions, give recommendations and see to it that our stay was perfect, and the suceeded. We will always choose the courtyard when we are in Athens.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Stephen L, General Manager at Courtyard Athens Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2017

Thank you for your wonderful review! I apologize I’m just responding, I’ve just been able to get back into the site. You covered a lot of great areas in your review that other guests will find helpful. We do have several college students who work in our Bistro and Front Desk and it still amazes me the wealth of information they have of things to see and do in Athens! I appreciate the kind comments on how clean the hotel is and how friendly the staff is, we really love what we do so it’s nice that it shows through. I’ve shared your comments with the team and of course they loved them! Please on your next stay stop by the desk I’d like to thank you in person.

Reviewed February 26, 2012

Hard to believe we stayed at the same hotel as the recent unhappy reviewers. We got a great price through Priceline bidding, got our requested King size bed, which was super comfortable. We were concerned about the renovations we had read through other reviewers, but there was no problem at all. By the time we arrived, it was mostly finished. The lobby area was under renovation, but not messy or noisy the times we passed through. The hall carpeting looked brand new and our room was fresh and new with a flat screen tv and refrigerator. The gym was small with new equipment, but the two treadmills tv screen was not hooked up yet, but the machines were useable. Staff brought us several bottles of water 'on the house'. Also, to compensate for the renovation (which, again, was minimal), they gave us complimentary continental breakfast - juice, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, muffins (commercial, but good), I had my cereal with skim milk, so I was happy. We're big coffee drinkers and hotels norotiously have lousy coffee (by our taste), so we walked to town for good strong coffee. The staff was friendly, helpful and courteous. All in all, we were very happy with our stay

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 133sunny

Reviewed February 11, 2012

Got this room on priceline for 6% off rack rate using 'name your own' pricing. Would not have chosen otherwise.
Desk staff was friendly and helpful until we asked for a king and not two doubles..

We wont be rushing back to stay here!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank toby495

Reviewed January 5, 2012

We called to make sure there was a hot tub to use because we were traveling thru and my wife was in need of some back relief. Assured they had a hot tub, we booked in. The place was under renovation and the lobby was a shambles. We took a room anyway--near the hot tub. When we went out to use it, the manager ran out and told us it was not working--due to the renovation. When I complained, they knocked some off the room rate but that was not what we were looking for in the first place.
The room was "renovated" but it was hardly up to standard. It was cold the night we were there and the heater kept cycling on and off every few minutes. Between the bad back and the noise, we were awake most of the night.
Not your typical Courtyard and certainly not "as advertised."

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We stayed at the Marriott Courtyard Athens for a football game. The price per night was $250 which was extremely expensive for the small rooms. It is in a great location but not worth it for the price.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank bolinmag
Reviewed September 12, 2011

One night in early September. Some issues navigating into hotel (one way entrances & streets). This is a dated property. Bed was great however. Breakfast buffet (paid) next morning missing items (no home fries) and eggs were made to order (sounds nice, but not if you want to eat and go). Fortunately they only charged me for a continental breakfast. Fitness center was too hot to workout in. Whirlpool (outside) barely produced any bubbles - no significant impact to turning on the pump. Recommend you stay about 5 miles away at the Springhill Suites.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Stephen L, General Manager at Courtyard Athens Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2017

Thank you for your review! I apologize for the experience during your stay. You covered a lot of great areas in your review that other guests will find helpful. We will o work in our Bistro and Front Desk to improve the service to our guest. It still amazes me the wealth of information they have of things to see and do in Athens! I appreciate the comments, we really love what we do so it’s nice that it shows through. I’ve shared your comments with the team and of course they loved them! Please on your next stay stop by the desk I’d like to thank you in person.

Reviewed August 30, 2011

We came to stay for one night and our top priority was someplace that we could walk to after enjoying the craft beers of Athens and stay under $100 for the night. (Athens CVB had a coupon.) I chose Courtyard because it was fairly close to restaurants and bars and it had positive reviews. The room was decorated nicely, the hotel honored my requests for extra pillows and a second floor room. Check-in was easy, the staff were very nice and helpful. Icemaker was around the corner, the halls were pretty quiet. Parking was easy. And we were pleased to find a small fridge in our room (wasn't listed as a part of the amenities.) Internet access was a little slow, but better than expected and no charge.

Not so good - there is no fan in the bathroom - takes awhile for a shower fog to leave the mirror. The sink is small - not great if two people are trying to get ready for a night out. No free breakfast - but we were planning to enjoy brunch out anyway.

Room Tip: Next time I'd stay on the first floor - the 2nd floor rooms could be a challenge to access depen...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple