“Sleep Deprivation Chamber” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Athens
Huntsville, Alabama
“Sleep Deprivation Chamber”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2007

Our first impression was relatively positive when we walked into our room (number 321). I was a Marriott rewards member and the hotel had honored my request to be on a high floor in a king room. The first thing we noticed was the new sprinkler in the ceiling adjacent to the original sprinkler which had apparently caused unrepaired severe water damage. We were relieved to find that the air conditioning was on upon our arrival but became aware that the room was unusually damp. Since the only way we could keep the room cool was to run the air conditioner, we decided to deal with the humidity. We finally turned the air off for the evening and went to bed. Upon turning off the foyer light, we suddenly realized it became a strobe light in the "off" position. Since we couldn't sleep with the light on & couldn't sleep with a strobe light, we resorted to blocking the light by wrapping it in a small piece of luggage as we stood on a foot stool. We finally concluded that we must have inwittingly stumbled on a sleep deprivation chamber designed to test customer's tolerance.

1 Thank South45

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2007

Looks like a Microtel on the outside. Feels like a Sleep In on the inside. Very noisy...yes, I know it is a college town, but the room layout has beds close to door (just like a Sleep In) and slamming doors and loud talking in the hall disrupted sleep.

Was also informed that since I booked the AAA rate, I was not eligible for a complimentary buffet breakfast...OK, so I should have paid $11 more a night to get a complimentary $7.95 breakfast???? I am Platinum, for goodness sake! I get free breakfast at the Renaissance, Marriott Suites, Marriott Hotels, Springhill Suites, and Residence Inn no matter what rate I book.

Will definitely not stay here again if ever in Athens!

Stayed October 2007
3 Thank Tarheelchix80
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2007

My daughter and I were there visiting the college. It was reasonably clean, easy to find, close enough to walk to fun shops and restaurants(we liked taking our car.) It had a nice basic pool area and a nice hot buffet breakfast for $8. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We thought is was quiet and very pleasant and safe. It was summer, so I don't know what it would be like on a football weekend. We got a good rate through AAA. I would stay there again!

• Liked — Safe, quiet, attractive hotel
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
      Location
      Check in / front desk
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2007

The Courtyard in Athens was good--I'd say it's pretty standard compared to the other Courtyards I've visited.

The front desk staff was very polite and helpful--they recommended a few good restaurants and they were kind to my entourage--even offered one of my co-workers a bag of Chex Mix.

The room itself was about the same as most Courtyards--comfortable, tastefully decorated and not cheesy, but there wasn't really anything that distinguished it from any other hotel I've been to. Free wireless internet is nice, though, and the room filled all of my needs.

One thing I noticed-- you could hear EVERYTHING that went on in the halls. Apparently some fellow guests started their weekend early--at about 2 am and 3:30 am, they were running around the halls yelling. On the positive side, I got a little nostalgic remembering fraternity parties I visited in college. Still, it's hard to believe that the staff didn't notice as they ran through the halls.

The restaurant was fine for breakfast--the buffet was pretty standard.

Overall, this wasn't bad at all. I'd stay here again if/when I go back to Athens.

• Liked — Location--less than 2 min from UGA
  • Disliked — Thin walls, hair was on the floor in the bathroom upon arrival
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2006

Was a while ago now but me and 2 friends stayed here and had a wonderful trip. I can't fault the hotel :)

Stayed September 2003
Augusta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2006

I was in Athens for a conference and was really surprised that I liked this hotel so much. I've stayed at plenty of Courtyard's but this one was nicer - the staff and rooms were above average. The staff was very polite and helpful, rooms were clean, good AC, free internet connection, and bed was comfy. No problems at all! I'd stay there again!

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business