“Stay only if you DONT value your stuff”

Best Western Athens
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Athens
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 19, 2009

I've never had such a bad experience at a hotel. We only stayed 2 nights and it was horrible. The first full day we were there someone tried to break into our truck causing major damage to the truck in terms of body work and electrical issues with the doors. The housekeeping staff gave me an uneasy feeling because of their multiple trips to our room without us calling them so I hid my diamond necklace along with other valuables (since I couldn't leave them in the truck anymore and carrying my suitcase around town wasn't an option) and of course that comes up missing also. I had absolutely NO help from management and they brushed both incidences off as if nothing had happened. My guess is that they're use to these kinds of things so it's not a big deal.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 15, 2009

Limited continental breakfast including seating.
Room not cleaned one of the three nights therefor no clean towels/washcloths and the front desk only had towels. Trash not emptied.
Parking is a menace and not close to your room,\.
Steps are steep--no elevator.
Dayworkers brought their children who made noise starting at 7AM pushing the carts back and forth over the concrete.
Dayworkers grumbled about their assignments loud enough to be heard, and the division of work is out of one of the rooms and the noise was excessive for that hour of the morning.
Room is very small with a tiny bathroom. (2 double beds)
Shampoo and two tiny bars of soap--not well in this day and age with air travel and limited liquids.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2009

Stayed at the Best Western for a visit to UGA. Great location - clean room

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 3, 2008

Our grandson was married in Athens this past November and both families stayed at the Best Western. We were pleasantly surprised with how nice the rooms were for the price we were able to get. We have stayed at Best Westerns before but this location is a step above most of the others we have stayed in. The office receptionists were friendly and went out of their way to help us with some special needs. When we go to Athens again we know where to stay.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2008

It was a horrible stay. Any hotel can't be worse than this!

My husband and I got more than 100 bites. Not mosquitos but mysterious - maybe mites. We are pretty sure that the bugs were very small and were in the bed.

We still have bites all over our bodies and they itch terribly.

My husband and I stayed in a first-floor room for one night. The room was small and dirty. The bath drain was bad and I had to take a shower with my feet in the water.

We will never stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2008

We spent about 1 hour in the room. The room was extremely dirty. Pillow cases had visible stains or dirt on them, dark stains. The carpeting was filthy - even though it was a dark color of carpeting, you could see the dirt and grime on it. We didn't spend the night- even though we couldn't get our money back. We paid for a room we never stayed in. Went down the street to the Marriott Courtyard which was 100% better. Of course, the Marriott costs more. But we were not expecting frills here at the Best Western Colonial Inn, just a simple and clean room for the night. Well the room was simple but definitely far from clean. When we were getting in our car in their parking lot to leave, we were approached by a homeless person asking for money. Very Bad experience overall.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank beenaples
Reviewed August 29, 2007

Stayed here over 2 week period and was okay until my daughter was in a bathtub full of yellow water-called the front desk and was told there had been a watermain break earlier that day and to get her out and to not drink the water..this after refilling water bottle all day and showering myself-Thanks for the heads up Best Western!! Anyways, I had to stay another day and thought this had been an isolated incident. I moved to another room and woke up the next morning with scratches on my back. I looked in the bed and found out that the fitted sheet was missing and I had slept on the mattress pad...which had numerous cigarette burns a giant yellow stain and various other stains I was afraid to look at too closely. When I went to make coffee I found the old filter from whomever used it last still in the pot with mold beginning to grow on top. The front dest sent over the housekeeper who picked up the filter and checked the bed and was visibly shocked by the absence of the sheet and the obvious filth on the pad. She apologized and asked if I checked the other bed I said no because I was alone that night, She checked and then asked me over to show me the hairs underneathe the pillows and the stain on the sheet and said the housekeeper in question would be written up. She then cleaned the room quickly and efficiently and was only embarassed when the new blanket she was putting on had ground in red stains that the wash couldn't remove. I quickly took out my cell and took pictures to show the manager how dirty the room was. The front desk only called me once and offered me a coupon rate and thats all-I never wanted a discount nor anything else I just wanted them to come see the room to call me personally and apologize, but all I got was the night person and an offer for $10 off. I'm insulted by such an offer. My daughter goes to school in this town and her sorority has many family functions that involves staying in town overnight. I will make sure they all know about my experience and to warn them that this is the kind of place that you see exposed on the news...yes it was that Nasty!

• Stayed: August 2007