“Filthy Place”

GreenLeadersGold level
Naples, FL
“Filthy Place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2008

We spent about 1 hour in the room. The room was extremely dirty. Pillow cases had visible stains or dirt on them, dark stains. The carpeting was filthy - even though it was a dark color of carpeting, you could see the dirt and grime on it. We didn't spend the night- even though we couldn't get our money back. We paid for a room we never stayed in. Went down the street to the Marriott Courtyard which was 100% better. Of course, the Marriott costs more. But we were not expecting frills here at the Best Western Colonial Inn, just a simple and clean room for the night. Well the room was simple but definitely far from clean. When we were getting in our car in their parking lot to leave, we were approached by a homeless person asking for money. Very Bad experience overall.

• Liked — Very disappointed with this accomodation- would never recommend it
  • Disliked — extremely dirty room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank beenaples

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Hebrew first
Atlanta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2007

Stayed here over 2 week period and was okay until my daughter was in a bathtub full of yellow water-called the front desk and was told there had been a watermain break earlier that day and to get her out and to not drink the water..this after refilling water bottle all day and showering myself-Thanks for the heads up Best Western!! Anyways, I had to stay another day and thought this had been an isolated incident. I moved to another room and woke up the next morning with scratches on my back. I looked in the bed and found out that the fitted sheet was missing and I had slept on the mattress pad...which had numerous cigarette burns a giant yellow stain and various other stains I was afraid to look at too closely. When I went to make coffee I found the old filter from whomever used it last still in the pot with mold beginning to grow on top. The front dest sent over the housekeeper who picked up the filter and checked the bed and was visibly shocked by the absence of the sheet and the obvious filth on the pad. She apologized and asked if I checked the other bed I said no because I was alone that night, She checked and then asked me over to show me the hairs underneathe the pillows and the stain on the sheet and said the housekeeper in question would be written up. She then cleaned the room quickly and efficiently and was only embarassed when the new blanket she was putting on had ground in red stains that the wash couldn't remove. I quickly took out my cell and took pictures to show the manager how dirty the room was. The front desk only called me once and offered me a coupon rate and thats all-I never wanted a discount nor anything else I just wanted them to come see the room to call me personally and apologize, but all I got was the night person and an offer for $10 off. I'm insulted by such an offer. My daughter goes to school in this town and her sorority has many family functions that involves staying in town overnight. I will make sure they all know about my experience and to warn them that this is the kind of place that you see exposed on the news...yes it was that Nasty!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — utter lack of customer service
  • Stayed August 2007
1 Thank dmavila
Hutchinson, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2007

We were in Athens visiting family and stayed here during the second week of our stay. The hotel is among the cheaper hotels in Athens. While the room was a bit small and the bathroom a little old fashioned, it was extremely well appointed otherwise for the price. It was also one of the few hotels we stayed at during our vacation that had a wired broadband internet connection. All in all, I was extremely pleased for the price.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — Size of the room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2007

I'm a big fan of Trip Advisor so stayed at this hotel after reading the review comments. Rooms are small as is breakfast area. Air conditioning unit put out odd urine-type smell that the truly helpful clerk tried to spray with coil spray. Interestingly, as he called the manager, it was apparent from my side of the call that the manager was more interested in learning if I had a reservation and thus a legitimate complaint. Second night was sleepless as drunken guests kept entire hotel up without staff intervention. Manager was nowhere to be seen over a three day stay and over the weekend. Sorry folks, this was a horror. No offer to reduce the rate or refund part of the bill.

• Liked — It sits next to a rib restaurant.
  • Disliked — Lack of management response to problem with room and no reduction in room rate.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank TravelWellFlorida
Blue Ridge Mountains
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Best Western Colonial Inn in Athens for one night while on our way down to New Orleans. The hotel was clean and quiet, and check-in was a breeze. The staff was friendly and offered great suggestions on where to eat and where to find good bands in the downtown area. The hotel is about a mile from the downtown area, so it is walkable if the weather is nice. There is Wi Fi in all hotel rooms and we had no problem logging in. The continental breakfast offered all kinds of pastries and beverages, but there are several good breakfast places in the downtown area that are worth trying as well. Overall, our experience at this hotel was perfect for a half-way stop on our road trip (the price was great too!). We will definitely be staying here again when we visit Athens in the future. By the way - Athens is a super cool town with lots of good food, shopping, friendly people, and great music! Check it out!

• Liked — The price.
  • Disliked — Nothing really!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Leo35
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2007

I stay at this hotel for football games and football related activities every year. The staff is very helpful and friendly. After the 7+ hour drive up from Florida, I'm very happy to get to my "football home" in Athens.

Stayed November 2006
1 Thank LadydawginFL
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2006

This hotel is fine - it's pretty much what you expect in a motel chain in a college town, so don't read too much into the reviews that pan the decor or breakfast. It is clean, well-run and close to the school/downtown - and certainly for the price it is unbeatable.

I did want to pass on a really great experience we had when we stayed there in early December, however. I was extremely ill the morning we left, and so we were running behind on the checkout time (they are pretty militant about that!). At any rate, we left in a rather harried manner, and managed to leave behind an expensive digital camera. We figured it was a total loss - but in fact the maids found the camera and turned it in. When we called to find out about it, they checked promptly and shipped it back to us. It was a very refreshing experience and accordingly I highly recommend the Best Western in Athens.

• Liked — Maid service
  • Disliked — Beds not extremely comfortable
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple