I have been in the hospitality industry for over 20 years and worked every position from property manager, corporate auditor, to travel agent and was discussed with the runaround I received from this property. I booked the property when I first got the news that my college team would be playing in Athens. I booked rooms for my self and my tailgate group (7 rooms) 10 months prior. As the August date approached my group canceled and dropped off for several reason, so I informed the hotel several weeks prior to change my reservations from 7 rooms to 1 so the other 6 rooms could be put back into inventory and sold (and at a higher rate). Upon arrival I was upset to hear my reservation had been canceled mot because of an error but because an hour before at 9pm because my credit card expiration date had expired in the 10 months since the reservation had been made. I was not aware of this and it was not mentioned to me when I canceled the other reservations. I explained the reason I was late due to a multiple car wreck on the road to the hotel which delayed my arrival. I asked if they still has rooms available and was told they did and I saw several people walk in and rent rooms (without reservations) while I waited in line for service. The room I was offered was twice my original booking price and I had to stay a minimum of two nights. I asked if an exception could be made since I had dealt with this property in good faith a booking and canceling the extra rooms as soon as I knew my friends would not be using them. The clerk Hunter was professional but he could not make that exception. So I asked for him to call his manager. I explained that not only that I worked for Auto Club South as a training manager and ACS’s preferred hotel chain is Best Western but I am also a BW Gold Crown member with 99 BW hotel nights in the past 4 years. The assistant manager Kara instructed the clerk to turn me away. As you can tell this property has little value for its customers beyond how much money it can make off of them. I am only making this review at this time because I feared reprisal from my job for putting in a public negative review on our preferred hotel chain but now I have changed employers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Best Western Athens is conveniently located near the University of Georgia Campus. Only blocks away, you'll find our hotel surrounded by downtown shopping areas, nightlife,and restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Best Western, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, getaroom.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Best Western Athens reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Athens Hotel Athens
- Best Western Colonial Hotel
- Athens Best Western