“Great hotel for the price with large comfortable rooms”

Best Western Athens
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Athens
GreenLeadersGold level
Vancouver, Canada
“Great hotel for the price with large comfortable rooms”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

This hotel is in a good location near the town center. We were driving in from Florida and had no trouble finding it. The seasonal pool was closed during our stay which was a bit disappointing even though the air temperature was still in the mid 70's (for us Canadians that's still warm!). The rooms were very good value and the complimentary continental breakfast was ok. We understand the hotel frequently gets booked out when there are any special events going on in town. We will stay here again on our next visit to Athens

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tonycmariner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Hebrew first
Calgary
Reviewed July 30, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel for many of my business visits to Athens. It is a very safe and comfortable place to be in. They have laundry services too and free continental breakfast. The breakfast items are fresh and replenished often. I have stayed at other similar priced hotels in Athens for my other trips and by far, I think this one ranks the best. The place is well lighted and close to a busy street, which makes it much safer. I am told they recently upgraded this place and I guess it worked. The beds was great and the room was clean. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank exploreCA
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Stayed one night here as part of a roadtrip, and couldn't have picked better - rooms were beautifully furnished, and the jacuzzi in the room was a welcome addition. Flat screen TV was a nice change from the norm in these low-cost motels. Breakfast was excellent, with fresh fruit and waffles available along with the usual motel fare. The pool was refreshing due to the heatwave, and big enough to swim properly in. Overall, I really can't fault the place!

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kevlondon
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I was looking for a lower-priced base while my son and I checked out the university and decided (based on TripAdvisor reviews) to stay here. It's obviously not an Omni or Marriott but it WAS nicely decorated, very clean, and close enough to campus.

The included breakfast offered cereals, boiled eggs, do-it-yourself waffles, bagels, toast, and fruit. The only drawback was that more tables are needed. My suggestion would be to replace the two wing chairs nearest the dining area with two more tables.

The pool area was walled with plenty of chairs and loungers. There's even a water fountain! It was a 8.5' pool which my son and I both enjoyed. The water was sparkling clear.

Folks using walkers, canes, or wheelchairs need to be aware that getting to the office (or next door dining area) from ANY room involves either stairs OR driving to the front side of the office. Likewise, the pool area is about three steps up from the walkway running outside the office and "top" level of the facility. If you'd like a room close to the pool or dining area, ask for the top level next to the pool, but be aware that you'll be climbing a flight of stairs up from the parking area.

With my AAA card, I received a $50.99 nightly rate, which I was thrilled with. Also, my iPhone charger was left behind and the staff bent over backwards to retrieve it and make arrangements to mail it to me.

My ratings are in comparison to similar facilities and not to a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank dallasokie71
Nekoosa, WI
Reviewed May 22, 2011

We stayed 4 nights. The first thing I did was to clean some brown, gelatinous buildup around the bathroom faucet. The 3rd day we didn't get any bath towels and the last day we left at 10 a.m. and returned at 10 pm and our room was never cleaned, bed not made, no clean towels. Bread products at breakfast were pretty stale by our 4th day there. We stay a lot at Best Western hotels and this one was way below the standards we are used to.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank northjudi
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Tried this place while visiting friend from UGA. Good price, clean, great bed and everyone friendly. Thanks to Carla for helping us find our way around Athens. Wireless connection was awesome, my I Phone stayed connected sitting in the car in the parking lot. We will be back. Thanks!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed March 15, 2011

I stayed one night for a concert at UGA. I had a clean room (little aged but clean and comfortable) at a reasonable price (around $65 inc tax for two queen beds) I read other reviews about budget hotels in Athens and this was far better than the other reports. Not great but clean and adequate

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo