“Location is This Hotel's Best Asset”

Hilton Garden Inn Athens Downtown
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed January 17, 2010

The best thing going for the Hilton Garden Inn in Athens is the downtown location. Downtown Athens is where all the action is, but parking is a nightmare. Being able to check in, park the car (for a fee), and wander freely around downtown Athens was the best part of staying here.

Otherwise the hotel is fairly standard HGI, but a bit overpriced ($129/night for the room; $9.95/day for parking; $9.95 for the so-so breakfast). The internet (wireless or wired) is complimentary, but ... it wasn't working throughout our entire visit, though the folks at the front desk kept telling us that it was being reset -- a minor, 21st century inconvenience.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 1, 2010

I made a reservation to stay in this hotel during a family vacation, during the roadtrip from Colorado, we were rear ended by a semi, and our vacation came to an end. I tried to cancel this reservation but was informed that because the 24 hour time limit had expired I would be charged in full. Not only did they charge me in full, they added a 10.00 parking fee for a car that was crushed in route. Shameful, just shameful.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank jen9320
Reviewed October 31, 2009

This hotel is in an excellent location (was able to simply walk across the street to a Conference) and I would absolutely recommend this site to anyone having business or pleasure at the Center. At first I cringed at the site of all the UGA paraphernalia strewn about the lobby (I'm a Georgia Tech fan and would go out of my way to walk around a Bulldog rug) but by the end of my stay, I can honestly say I didn't hate all of it. (If you're familiar with the rivalry you'll understand what that means...)

Great staff, terrific accommodations, excellent bar and plenty of room in the lobby area made this stay one of the better ones I've had in a long while. Whether you're there on business or pleasure, you will enjoy your stay immensely. There are also TONS of excellent restaurants and bars around town. (Be sure to hit The Last Resort Grill and get a Bailey's Irish Creme Cheesecake...incredible.)

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 3, 2009

Right across the street from the Classic Center (Athens' convention center), this mid-price hotel is extremely convenient and a good value for those attending meetings in the heart of Bulldog Country. Athens' attractive and active downtown is adjacent with many restaurants and bars that service the students primary reason for attending UGA -- partying. It is very loud at night, but the hotel was quiet when I was there. The hotel is clean and neat with up-to-date rooms and nice amenities.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
AngSmith, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Athens Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2009

Our housekeeping staff was very appreciative about the mentioning of the cleanliness of our rooms. The entire staff at the Hilton Garden Inn takes pride in this property and the service. We value your positive comments about the excellent location of our property in regards to the Classic Center. I personally hope to welcome you back to our property in the future.

Angela Smith

Reviewed May 27, 2009

Stayed at this hotel for three nights on a business trip, and was very pleased.

Staff are exceptionally friendly, warm, engaging, helpful. Everybody seemed to be in a good mood, which is not always the case in my experience.

Location, fantastic. Walk out there door and there are 100 bars/restaurants within 4-5 blocks. Georgia Classic Center convention space right across the street.

Room very clean, etc.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 2, 2009

The hotel overall was very clean and new. Our bed linens....even the duvet....smelled like fresh laundry. That is very refreshing to find. I paid for the room in advance so the rate was very good, especially for the great location. The hotel was within walking distance to several restaurants, bars, clubs, shops, etc. My only complaint was that I asked for a later check out time and was told they could only accommodate one more hour....it could be moved from 11AM to noon. There are eight floors of rooms and the parking deck had about five cars in it. Somehow I do not think people were lined up waiting for our room. Beyond that, the visit was great and I would return.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NettlesFan
Reviewed January 26, 2009

This is a fine hotel, but it's nothing amazing. It seems fairly new and it was spotlessly clean, both of which are big pluses. The location is also terrific. It's on the edge of downtown and up a hill from the University of Georgia, so most all Athens attractions are within easy walking distance.

I have no fundamental complaints about the hotel other than its price. I paid $139 (plus tax) and got essentially the same type of room I might find at a top-tier Hampton Inn. (The problem with the Hampton comparison is the huge variety of Hampton Inns --- some are even nicer than this property while others are disastrous.)

I previously stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Athens. It was nice, though obviously older. It also had a less favorable location. I suppose I must conclude that the Athens hotel market is just generally overpriced, without any apparent Priceline.com biddable properties.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ToughCritic36