“Great Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Columbia, United States
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

I've stayed here several times and each time has been awesome. Clean rooms, great location to the Classic Center, breakfast was good, warm cookies at the front desk was AWESOME! Staff was helpful and courteous. Highly recommend.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Pam D, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Athens Downtown, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Hilton Garden Inn traveler,

We are grateful for your positive comments and experience of our hotel and thank you for being our guest during your time in Athens. We work hard to provide the best service from the front desk at check-in to serving you at the bar and restaurant. We appreciate your kind feedback and look forward to your next stay with us.

Pam Doonan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Mooresville, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Upon check in the hotel staff was extremely friendly and efficient. Later that evening I experienced the same courtesy and efficiency in the Bar. When I return to Athens, I will be staying here again. The close proximity to restaurants and the University make this a very convenient place to base.

Dear Hilton Garden Inn guest,

Thank your for your kind comments of the hotel and its staff. We always strive to wow our guests and give you all the friendliest and caring service each and every single time. It would be a pleasure to have you stay with us during your next time in Athens!

Woodbury, Connecticut, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed here this week while on a college tour trip with our son. I selected the hotel based on reviews and I was not at all disappointed. The location of the hotel cannot be beat. You are directly across from the campus and right in the middle of downtown where a number of restaurants and bars are within easy walking distance. There was even an outstanding bagel place around the corner which made their own bagels. The staff was hospitable, the room was clean and the condition of furnishings was fresh. And yes, the cookies and fresh fruit offered in the lobby were a nice touch. I would definitely stay here again if my son attends UGA. I gave it a lower rating for sleep because of the in-room ac that goes on and off and kept me awake - the bedding was great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear 86nole,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we are glad that you enjoyed your time with us. We always strive to give all of our guests a good night's sleep and we really do apologize about your HVAC noise. Our HVAC units are motion-sensored and will cut on when there is movement and cut off when there is not movement and that may have been the reason your unit goes on and off. Let us know the next time you are in Athens and we can set your HVAC to your liking. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you all next time!

Pam Donnan
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very nice Location and a nice HGI other than that I travel too much for work to be significatly impressed that anything was that good or that bad. This is a great spot for access to the college, downtowna and the area in general. The hotel is one of the nicer ones in the HGI chain.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Hilton Garden Inn guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and staying with us during business. Our location is convenient to most restaurants, bars and other activities downtown. We look forward to your next stay with us.

League City, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Downtown and close to U of Georgia campus.
Covered parking was nice.
limited menu for dinner in their resturant.
Area surrounded by bar after bar after drinking establishments. I guess whatelse to expect that close to campus. Did find FishBox 1 seafoos 1 block down Thomas st.
More food choices out west from downtown on Broad in the area of the mall and shopping areas.

Dear TexasSkyPilot,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel and choosing to stay with us during your business. Athens, GA is known for having the most bars per square miles in the United States, but it does give you access to numerous restaurants from chains to locally owned stores.
Our Garden Grille menu is limited per Hilton requirements. Thank you again for reviewing our hotel and we hope to be your choice again for any future stays in Athens, GA.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

My daughter and I made our first trip to Athens to visit the University of Georgia at the end of March. What a great little town with wonderful shops and restaurants. The hotel is conveniently located in downtown Athens within walking distance to UGA. Location is what makes it attractive. Staff members were pleasant and friendly. It was clean and the beds were comfortable. There is a $9 daily parking charge added to your bill. Other than it's location, it is pretty generic. I would probably look at other options if we return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear rwethereyet60,

We want to thank for staying with us during your first visit to Athens and taking the time to write a review of our hotel. One of the many attractive features of our hotel is our close proximity to restaurants and the main downtown area. We always try to make every visit warm and pleasant.
Being located directly downtown, parking is limited and we only have the choice of a parking deck. The daily parking fee is charged to maintain the parking structure and to have a place for all of our guests to have a secured place to park when they stay with us so they do not have to park on public street parking spots. Again, we would like to thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review the hotel.

Riverdale, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

I arrived for a conference from out of town at 7:30 AM. I was initially told that I would have to wait to check-in at 2:00 PM! I kept checking back just on the whim that a room might become available earlier than 2:00. When I inquired about the room at 1:45, I was then told by the General Manager that I would have to wait until 3:00PM. After I told the GM, that I personally knew someone that checked in at 11:30AM,(which was not a fib, a co-worker was allowed to do so), she stated with a condescending attitude, "Well, check-in isn't until 3:00PM, but I will see what we can do". After disappearing into her office for about 5 minutes, she put me into a room. I don't understand why I had to wait to check-in when there were clearly rooms available prior to the time I was told I could check-in, not to mention that others were allowed to check-in PRIOR to the 2:00PM time frame I was offered. If you have a policy of 3:00pm check-ins, make sure that you follow suit for EVERYONE checking in on the same day. Additionally, since this was the conference hotel, accommodations should have been made for those attendees who traveled from out of town to check-in early. I stay at other chain hotels all the time and have checked in prior to check-in time because they want to keep my business.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tanishia L,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel during your conference stay. We would like to apologize for the poor service you received from the front desk. The hotel checkout time is 11:00 am and if you arrive earlier than that, the availability for an early check in time is not guaranteed. Guests start checking out around 11:00am and depending on if the hotel was booked the night before determines if any rooms are available and cleaned. Hotel check-in time is 3:00pm. The 4 hour time frame is to allow housekeeping to get into the rooms and clean them for arriving guests.

We are located right across from the Classic Center, which makes us ideal for any conference attendees. I am very sorry we were not able to check you in early and rooms were not available then. We always strive to give the utmost caring service to all of our guests and we failed in doing that for you. We apologize again and thank you for your time to review our hotel.