“A good place near the campus and downtown restaurants and bars.”

Hilton Garden Inn Athens Downtown
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Florida
“A good place near the campus and downtown restaurants and bars.”
Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

This was the third time we stayed here while passing through Athens. The rooms are comfortable and clean, and there is ample parking in a garage attached to the hotel. The campus and downtown restaurant and bar area is a short two block walk. The breakfast restaurant in the hotel is just OK.

RGinTally

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Evans, Georgia
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We recently attended a friend's graduation from UGA and stayed overnight at the Hilton. It's a nice place to stay downtown. The lobby is furnished well and includes a bar. The parking deck is convenient since finding a spot on the street can be impossible. On graduation weekend, most of the rooms were filled with grandparents, so there were no loud parties. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Nearly everything in downtown Athens is within walking distance of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fenn138
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I had a very pleasant experience what I traveled to Minneapolis and stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn. Naturally I would want a similar experience when planning my stay in Athens, Ga. My obvious choice would be to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn of Athens. The Hotel was named the same but it was a very different experience. I was expecting to be greeted at the front door as we were in Minneapolis, but it was quite the contrary. I helped my mother out of the SUV and into her electric wheel chair and she went inside to start the check in process. I waited outside for assistance with our luggage. After a short wait, and no one came, I went inside and found my mother visibly upset. As I approached the front counter, the woman behind the counter asks if the 2 queen beds was terribly important. I was taken aback by the question since when making the reservations we were sure to specify that we needed a handicapped accessible room with 2 queen beds. We just answered, Yes. The woman just shook her head and called for her manager. When the manager came out to the front, she took a look at the screen and mentioned that the room we requested was unavailable due to a plumbing issue they were having. They would be able to accommodate us but they would have to look for another room. I was then given a parking voucher to put in the window of my vehicle and a gentleman was called to assist with the luggage. I left my mother to work out the details while I unloaded and parked the SUV. When I returned to the hotel after a short walk from the parking deck, there is my mother at her wits end. It turns out that they wouldn't be able to put us in the same room. Then the shock of all shocks, in not so many words, we were invited to stay elsewhere, WOW!. The manager herself said she would look to see if there were rooms available at the Holiday Inn. My mother nearly came out of her seat, she then told her if we wanted to stay at the Holiday Inn we would have made reservations there. She then asked if they had adjoining rooms. That answer was yes and no. The only adjoining room to a handicap accessible room was already occupied. I would have to be in a room 2 doors down. For their sake and my mothers, I assured her it would be fine and we should just take our keys and go settle down. When I dropped my things in my room, I went to check on my mother. He room was great, however the bathroom wasn't. It was handicapped accessible but not handicapped friendly. There were hand rails but no seat in the shower area. The shower area (not a tub or enclosure) was wide open allowing for a walker or wheelchair to scoot right in but that also meant that the water would drain across to the middle of the floor. I went back to the front desk to ask for a shower chair, but was told that they just threw them all away that morning. The manager then says that the shower is made for wheelchairs. I really didn't know what to make of this whole situation. I took a deep breathe, and said, my mother is in an electric wheelchair, I don't think that would be a good idea. She smiled and agreed and said she would get me a shower chair, even if she had to drive to another location to get it. Since I was there and the manager seemed to be in a helpful mood. I asked when the guests in the adjoining room would be checking out. She let me know they would be leaving in the morning, so I asked to be moved when they checked out. She as glad to make the accommodation. But wouldn't it stand to reason that good customer service would have had them offer instead of me asking? After we received our shower chair and I moved the next morning, we remained self sufficient for the rest of our trip. I really wish the Minneapolis location would send some of their staff out to the other locations to train. It may be an expense but in the long run, they'll ensure continuity and secure their reputation.

Room Tip: Not all handicapped accessible rooms are created equal. During the reservation process, be sure to...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Tonya S
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 30, 2012

The Hilton Garden Inn is the best place to stay in Athens, GA. You definitely get what you pay for, which is a central location within walking distance of all attractions -- downtown, UGA, the cultural center, etc.; a new building, super comfortable beds, a pleasant staff, and a safe well-lit location.

I read many complaints regarding the $10 parking fee. Honestly, when the choice is a metered street location, or a covered and secure parking garage, I would pay for the garage every time. It's also important to note that they allow you to stay in the parking garage an hour past check-out, and as soon as you check-in (even if your room is not ready.)

Room Tip: Ask for a scenic view on one of the top floors.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

My daughter and I made a reservation, several weeks in advance, for a handicapped accessible room with two queen sized beds. Received the confirmation number, so I thought we were all set. WRONG!
By the way I booked this hotel, based upon another Hilton Garden Inn, located in Minneapolis, MN. They were far superior and I expected to same type of treatment in Athens Georgia.
Back to the Athens Hilton review, I absolutely had the worst Hotel experience in my life. And, I traveled for over 20 years with my former employer. The first clue of the type of
service we would receive was there were no, nota, zip doormen or concierge in sight. So no help with luggage. Second clue of the ineptitude that was to continue was at check-in. The room that was reserved and confirmed was unavailable due to no hot water. They stated they had 3 plummers out there, that day to fix it, but there was still no hot water. I then asked the guest services manager do they still have handicapped accessible rooms, that had an inner door so my daughter and I had easy access to one another. She said yes that would be no problem, but one room would have a king bed and the adjourning room would have two queen beds (and she would not charge for my daughters room, due to all the problems we experienced). Well, everything seemed ok, but, the straw that broke the camels back, was when she gave us the keys for the rooms that were separated with other ROOMS not internal doors. Well, I lost it at that moment, then she offered to call The Holiday Inn, if we would prefer to stay there. Very curtly, I replied: "No, if I wanted to stay at the Holiday Inn I would have reserved my room there!" My recommendation: John K. should be promoted and travel to other Hilton Hotels Garden Inns to ensure customer service far-exceeds customer's expectations. There was no one to greet you, had to wait before someone came to the front desk, then she kept disappeared behind the check in door without any explanation, until finally the guest services manager appear, with a not so pleasant attitude and started her difficulties, in an oh woe as me chant. Stating there is a conference in town, the plummers couldn't fix the hot water and fourth, we could stay in the original room if I didn't want hot water. I was mortified and so disgusted, I had my daughter finish the transaction for me. Benefits at first glance, before reservation confirmation: the CLT Convention (PTA) was just across the street, there was a microwave and they provided two Bottles of water water in a small refrigerator, and I had such a splendid guest service experience in downtown MN, how could I go wrong? Well be afraid of the ineptitude of the guest services team. However, i would like to send kudo's to Randy Brown. Once paged, he appeared everywhere in a maintence type of uniform. I would like to see him, with his easy to do business with, 'can do' attitude take over for the other two females who would never win any Miss Congeniality contests. And takes customer service to a whole new downward dimension. My experience there was analogous to cruel and unusual punishment. Did I say they had the last laugh...the morning we were to depart, Saturday, July 14, 2012...my husband's birthday, I DID NOT HAVE ANY HOT WATER FOR BATHEING! I am available via email: fancyface51@gmail.com or cellular: 770-335-6906 in the evening should you wish any additional information. Thank you. Phyllis Dillard

Stayed July 2012
1 Thank fancyface51
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Very nice place. Clean, On site bar and resturant. Easy downtown access. After staying at a few places in Athens, we now always stay here. There is also an on site parking garage, but it can get full, so once parked, walking is a good option.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank babybuzz_34
USA
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We had a family wedding in Athens, Georgia and needed a 'base-camp' hotel. This downtown hotel was just the ticket.
It is directly across from The Classic Center - convention hall- and by all the best restaurants, tiny bars and attractions Athens offers.
We stayed in the Presidential Suite and so had a large area for gathering, tables, chairs, sofas, kitchen and visiting over the long weekend. It was great to have the large extra space for friends and relatives from across the country...the suite is a bit worn at present but nice space and it was comfortable! I have to say the most amazing thing was ordering from the hotel kitchen for the last night party....
I looked at the hotel catering menu and you never really know WHAT you REALLY will be GETTING BUT we ordered the fresh fruit, crackers and CHEESE platter for 30 guests. We went to the wedding and AFTER all wedding festivities our family/friends came back to the suite. The food was there ready and waiting -- we had some things to add but their platter was wonderful!!!! The fruit WAS fresh and ripe and the CHEESE was 4 or so different kinds - plenty and all was perfect.
The hotel staff in the lobby was always nice and tried to accommodate any 'requests'.
Great place being downtown guests could zip out for meals but the hotel had great to order breakfast buffet for $10.

Room Tip: If you want a gathering space truly check out the Presidential Suite it is large and roomy. (a bit w...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends