“Decent hotel, nothing special.”

Wingate by Wyndham Athens Near Downtown
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Rooms are clean and nice enough, comfortable beds, indoor pool, small fitness room. Located adjacent to a liquor store, not a great location, but only about 1 mile from downtown Athens. Nothing special, but if you just need a decent affordable place to stay, it works.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank CheeryJ
comfort100, Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Athens Near Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding yor recent stay. We offer great lodging value for those guests that want to be close to UGA but do not want to pay the high downtown hotel prices . Our lodging includes free parking and a free hot breakfast. Please kep us n mind on your next trip back to Athens\

Reviewed March 7, 2012

We stayed here and could not believe the value for our money. The rooms are gorgeous and spacious. Everything was super clean. The proximity to the downtown night life was very convenient. The beds were super comfy and everything was really quiet even when there was some school swim team staying there. (they were a bit rowdy, but when the door was closed we did not hear them)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank travelhawk71

Thank you for posting your review of our hotel and we apreciate the gracious comments regarding our service, staff and value for money while being very close UGA and Downtown Athens.. We offer all suite rooms along with a free full oht brekafast and free parking while staying in Athens

Reviewed November 25, 2011

Every summer, I spend a week in Athens and look forward to my stay here every year. The staff has been accommodating to my needs as well as problems in the room. I have yet to have a bad experience. My family usually joins me for a day or so and my kids love the pool and the huge rooms!

Great lobby with computers for guests. The breakfast bar has a great selection of foods for all tastes. The decor is warm and inviting throughout.

I agree with others that it is a stretch to say this hotel is in walking distance. It remains a convenient location, close to downtown but away from the nightlife. And on that note, I've never experienced any issues with people from the liquor store. In fact, the store is clean and well kept by all accounts that I can tell.

I think for the services offered, the price here is always right and with the convenient location, I expect I'll be back again.

Room Tip: I've stayed throughout the hotel and prefer the upper floors facing away from the parking lot...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your review of our hotel and your loyalty to Choice Hotels and our location. We offer great lodging value while being in downtown athens and the UGA campus without havinfg to pay the high downtown hotel prices
We include an all suite product and a complimentary full hot breakfast along with free parking

Reviewed November 16, 2011

Indoor pool was free entertainment for kids. Property in good shape. Early check-in with absolutely no problem. Room in very good shape and quite clean. Outstanding value for money and will absolutely return.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank GGM5171

Than you for sharing your comments on our hotel with Tripadvisor, We appreciate your honest feedback and that we offer a superior lodging experiece without having to pay the full service hotel prices. We include a free full hot breakfast and complimentary parking

Reviewed October 25, 2011

My family stayed one night at this hotel while we were in town for a wedding reception. We arrived about 15 minutes before check-in time, but after a little confusion at the front desk as to whether our room was clean and ready, we were able to check in early. We were provided a portable crib as I requested. The room was hot but the staff member who placed the crib in our room told me that she had already adjusted the thermostat and it soon became comfortable.

I would say that the room was average; not fancy but not totally outdated decor either. We did a clump of hair in the bathroom floor that the maid apparently missed, which was kind of gross but not horrifying. I did use the shower but my husband said that the water pressure wasn't great. I personally found the mattress too hard and the pillows too soft but my husband and child slept well. We did not take advantage of any of the amenities, having spent most of the day out and gotten up too late the next day to eat the breakfast. Really it was just a convenient place to sleep rather than traveling back home.

There is a liquor store right next door/in front but I didn't feel unsafe or experience any additional noise because of it. It would be nice if the parking lot was better lit, especially when you get back to the hotel later in the evening and have to park in the very back of the lot. There also seems to be confusion in the reviews as to whether the hotel is downtown or not. I lived in Athens for several years and am very familiar with the downtown area. The hotel is definitely NOT downtown as any local would think of it, although apparently somebody thought it was close enough to include in the name. It is within walking distance of downtown -- I would say maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile -- but part of that is uphill and would not be that pleasant of a walk, in my opinion. Still, the rate is very reasonable and you will pay significantly more if you prefer to stay directly downtown.

The staff we encountered were very friendly and overall it was a fine stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your comments regardin your stay and that iour staff went out of their way to make your stay more enjoyable

Reviewed September 26, 2011

Upon my arrival at the hotel, I asked the young lady at the front desk where was the laundrey room, she told me she wasn't certain if it was on the second or third floor. She didn't even attempt to try and find out where it was located. I found ths to be vrey odd and thought this was part of her job. I inquired several other times and she finally told me probably the second floor. Theroom was clean,but was unable to get the room cool the first night. Tempature stayed at 74 degrees and I was pretty miserable. The next day I mentioned it to the housekeeping staff and they immediately came in my room and told me that it was fixed. When I got back to the room the temp was on 72 degrees. I told the young lady from the previous night it was still hot in my roo ad I would not be able to sleep there. The young lady said she would go up and check it. I lft an came back about an hour later and she told me, that she had fixed it and the other girl didn't know wht she was doing and it would take the room a couple of hours to cool down. Well it never did,and I got very litle sleep. The next moning while ceckin out I mentioned it to the manager and he gave me 15% off my bill. Small price for two sleepless nights. The housekeeping staff was awesome,but the front desk girl left something to be desired. Wierd looking people at the ABC store which is directly in fron tof the hotel. I

Room Tip: Room away from elevaor was quieter
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank MissDeb54
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel! This was my first trip to Athens and I stayed at this hotel based on a recommendation from a friend. I must say that I was definitely pleased! The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the room was very clean! I had never stayed at a hotel with an indoor pool; loved it! Thank God for the breakfast! That's a great way to start the day and was just what I needed. I will definitely recommend this hotel to others!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo