“A Wonderful Evening”

Five & Ten
Ranked #23 of 413 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: James Beard Award-winning neighborhood restaurant in Five Points. Serving dinner and Sunday brunch in a beautifully restored historic house. Five & Ten is the flagship restaurant of Chef Hugh Acheson. Since opening in 2000 it has received national acclaim for its ability to present a new turn on southern fare.
North Carolina
“A Wonderful Evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

Friends in Athens invited me for dinner at Five and Ten. It was a cool evening but the restaurant was inviting and warm in temperature and atmosphere. The restaurant is in an older home near the UGA campus but it is set up with different rooms that give the feeling of being cared for. The service staff were able to describe the dinner choices and wines extremely well, and they did not oversell the dishes but left us with good selections. I especially enjoyed the grilled octopus appetizer; being a fan of great calimari, I had not had octopus prepared this way but it was exceptional, definitely worth the trip. I was looking for a lighter dinner choice and the Carolina Trout was perfect. This was a large portion of lightly grilled fish with a super mix of veggies and broth. One of my friends had a challenge with her diet and needed to be especially careful of anything with gluten. The chef was extremely careful in preparing her dishes and he came out during our meal to see if everything was to our liking and asked for any suggestions. Frankly, we could only offer thanks and appreciation; don't change anything we said. Great meal.

1 Thank orth1

Georgia
“Interesting menu; wonderful ambience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

Five and Ten is in a beautiful old house with high ceilings which make for good acoustics. The food is what I would call Nouvelle Southern, with portions more modest than gargantuan.

The prices are among the highest in Athens, but not compared to similar quality restaurants in other parts of the country. Service is impeccable. Good wine list.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Itsmeeloise
Winston Salem, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food served in a noisy atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

Our dinners were tasty and well prepared (shrimp and chicken entrees), though expensive for the quantity. Unfortunately, it was hard to relax, since the four of us spent the evening shouting and straining to hear one another. I'm not sure I understand how dining in a din - no matter how good the food - is considered fun!

Atlanta
“Wonderful meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

This was my second visit to Five & Ten and my first visit to their new location on Milledge Avenue. The new location, while larger, is much quieter and more intimate than the previous location. The decor is somewhat more sophisticated and elegant. Our service was top-notch and well coordinated. As for the food, we were particularly impressed by the cheese plate, the farm egg consomme, and the desserts (coconut cream pie and chocolate brownie). The entrees we chose, the duck and pork, were very good but not as out-of-this-world delicious as the appetizers or desserts. The wine list was complete and varied, and my specialty cocktail, the "Spring Negroni" (I think?) was well crafted. Overall, this place is a home-run, and I prefer it to Hugh Acheson's Atlanta outpost, Empire State South.

Macon, Georgia
“Excellent Brunch Choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

Went to Athens today to celebrate my daughter's 20th birthday with her sister and sorority sister and it was great! We had a variety of entrees and sides and everything was wonderful. If you remotely like fried chicken and have bit of a creative food flair I would recommend the chicken biscuit with pepper jelly, homemade pickles, and pimento cheese. The grits are the best anywhere in GA!