“overpriced and not that great”
Review of Five & Ten

Five & Ten
Ranked #20 of 427 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: James Beard Award-winning neighborhood restaurant in Five Points. Serving dinner and Sunday brunch in a beautifully restored historic house. Five & Ten is the flagship restaurant of Chef Hugh Acheson. Since opening in 2000 it has received national acclaim for its ability to present a new turn on southern fare.
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I've eaten here over the years -- mixed experience. Last week was not a good one. I had the rabbit and I don't think it was cooked much at all-- seemed raw (tho the lighting was too low to get a real good look at what I was eating). I got stomach and intestinal upset for a couple days.
New ambience is great. Service is very good. Food, not so much. They try too hard with fancy schmancy flavor matching that doesnt quite work out in my opinion.

1  Thank fsw2014

Reviewed January 28, 2014

If you are going to dine here, go early, as the parking is horrendous, and dangerous. The restaurant interior is very quaint and cute. It is like dining in an old house. The service was excellent. The wait staff was attentive and knowledgeable about the menu items and their recommendations were solid. The pimento cheese spread is superb. It is almost as good as I make at home. The hummus was enjoyed very much by my guests. We ordered duck, trout and short ribs. Each was very tasty, though I could have used more trout. The portion was very small. We shared some desserts, which were also very tasty. It is worth one trip for a fine dining experience.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

I follow 5 & 10 on Facebook and have eaten there before, albeit at their previous location. I had the $30 prix fix + $15 wine pairing and it did not disappoint. Wonderful roasted mushroom salad, pasta with pork belly, and profiteroles for dessert. Always a win!

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Since their move, to the new location, this once impeccable restaurant has gone drastically down hill. To begin, the parking behind the old house is a nightmare. Hugh Acheson, the genius behind this place, is only a faded memory, replaced by a revolving door of 2nd rate cooks. The prices remain sky high, which used to be worth it as a special occasion, or "just because " treat. Hugh formerly had a skillful, knowledgeable wait staff who could describe every dish, down to its origins and even remember your favorite cocktail. Our last visit was met with a new, inept server. The portions were even smaller than before, and the whole experience left us saying, "never again". Sad transition from a once stellar establishment.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Five & Ten has moved into more larger, quieter rooms that makes the ambience more grown-up (but not unfriendly to jeans and plaid). The first executive chef at the new location brought some welcome Italian touches but was overly devoted to sorghum. The new guy from Empire State South has retained some of the great handmade pastas and cut back on the sweet sauces for meats. Our New Year's houseguest was blown away by the freshness of the oysters and mopped up the dipping sauce. I'm gonna miss the salted caramel ice cream.

Been to Five & Ten? Share your experiences!