“Brunch done southern and French” 5 of 5 bubbles

Five & Ten
Ranked #23 of 410 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: James Beard Award-winning neighborhood restaurant in Five Points. Serving dinner and Sunday brunch in a beautifully restored historic house. Five & Ten is the flagship restaurant of Chef Hugh Acheson. Since opening in 2000 it has received national acclaim for its ability to present a new turn on southern fare.
Clermont, Florida
“Brunch done southern and French”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

Brunch shrimp and grits had a tomato base with a zippy spiced flavor complimented by collards that melted in the mouth. The house special sandwich was tasty and garnished with a great salad.

Greensboro, North Carolina
“Hold on to your wallet.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

Can I give them a big ZERO stars? Really. Don't waste your time or money. Poor service. Tiny portions. The plates looked pretty - so if what you want is "food art" you will enjoy. Plan to stop by Chic-fil-A on your way home if you don't want to go to bed hungry - but you'll have to charge your chicken sandwich b/c you will be out of money.
Plus, if you go with a group - be prepared to pay MORE than 20% tip b/c they figure the tip on food + tax and think the customer is stupid by explaining that the way they figure the tax is by the law. Well, the last time I checked - there is NO law that indicates I have to tip for any service - much less poor service. Period.
So, I had the corn chowder in a cat chow sized bowl and Caesar salad on a huge plate - but the salad portion was about the size of a silver dollar. Water. Over $20.
Really, if you want a Caesar salad - go to one of Wolfgang's restaurants.
So, I guess the one star is for the bite of flounder I had from a friend's plate. It was fresh and tasteful - but her tab was near $50. Last time I checked - flounder was not that expensive. And her portion size was about 3 oz. Don't expect a salad with your entree because it is NOT included.
When in Athens, GA - don't waste your money here. Go to "Last Resort" as it is not - and is a much better, more creative option.

• Visited June 2011
4 Thank SallyS17
Athens, Ga
“Left due to a botched reservation and rude staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

I have never actually eaten the food here because the staff was so rude we left before being seated. When we approached the hostess stand and told the hostess we had a reservation we were told we did not have a reservation. After several minutes of going back and forth the hostess admitted the reservation was recorded the day before. The error was the fault of the restaurant and the staff would not admit it, when I asked for the next available table we were told they were fully committed for the evening and they would be able to seat us and again said the mistake may not have been theirs. As I went to grab my and my wife's coats the hostess approached and said that if we would be so humble as to wait at the bar they would buy us a drink. My wife told her we did not come here to be humble and we walked out and have not returned. I was shocked by such rudeness at what claims to be high end dining. I work in an industry where we very much value the customer experience and am shocked at how often companies provide poor customer service. I am a regular at a high end restaurant in Atlanta and one of the managers sent me a hand written note thanking me for my business and provided his wireless number and said call anytime I need a reservation. They meant it too, I once called while 3 minutes away and they got us right in on a busy night. Hope they improve the customer service as several good restaurants in Athens have closed and I am sure the high-end diner is very coveted in this economy.

• Visited December 2010
2 Thank AthensGator
Lebanon, New Jersey
1,084 restaurant reviews
“Nice to go to a place where almost everyone is dressed up”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2011

Had a very pleasant meal here. It is certainly an upper-end kind of place - if you have drinks and appetizers, you will run up $50 each including the tip. And, if you are so inclined, you could run up $50 each just on wine - but they also have some good choices for ~$30 - we enjoyed the Baron de Magana. Starters included boiled crawfish - which I am no expert on - seems more work than worth to me. They have 'snacks' listed above the starters - we had the dates - which were very tasty indeed. Dinner - frogmore stew was excellent and plentiful. The redfish was good, but the portion of fish - and sides - were meager. Pork chop also looked lovely on the plate. So - get the frogmore stew! We skipped dessert and instead went to nearby frozen yogurt place (I forget the name) which is an adventure in make-your-own. A good restaurant - not great.

• Visited May 2011
Bogart, Georgia
“As good as any very good restaurant in any city in the country.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2011

I have eaten at restaurants on both coasts and this restaurant compares favorably, but it is short of a ranking of say the top 100 restaurants--though that is not really what it is attempting. As a neighborhood bistro it is impeccable. All dishes are imaginative with some admittedly coming off better than others. I always start with the home made pickles, and at four dollars it is one of the best values in food imaginable. Usually pair them with a martini (drink prices are a little high for Athens, but they are well made). While the pricing is special occasion (if you are consuming alcohol), I always look forward to going here. I have never really been disappointed, and on a few occasions I have been elated.

• Visited February 2011