“Quite a Gem in this College Town”
Review of Last Resort Grill

Last Resort Grill
Ranked #2 of 420 Restaurants in Athens
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Dining at the Last Resort Grill is a must if you are near Athens, Georgia. Located in the downtown area of this quaint Southern town, the Last Resort Grill offers a unique dining experience. The salads and entrees are wonderful, and the desserts are "to die for". My favorite entree is Athena's Pasta. The dessert cases are filled with delicious layer cakes as well as every cheesecake imaginable. The Last Resort Grill is a very popular place, so I do recommend reservations.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,085)

Reviewed January 5, 2012

We dined at the Last Resort Grill after reading various reviews and were very disappointed. Our server was slow and inattentive. She was not at all knowledgeable about the wine list and brought us a bottle of barely chilled Ramey Chardonnay. The food was okay but certainly not worthy of the rave reviews we had read. We were rushed over dinner as they seemed to want to get us in and out to make room for the next round of people.

We are avowed foodies and maybe we hold places like this to too high a standard. But, we certainly would not go back and it wasn't worth the effort we made to get there over the holidays.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

I have been to Last Resort many times, the most recent this week The service is always attentive, well-paced, and friendly. And the food is always very tasty and well-presented. Last meal I had crab cakes appetizer and hanger steak entree. Crab Cakes were delicious with tasty sauces -- a hot and a mild. Hanger steak was cooked just as I ordered and served with a tangy sweet sauce, all over mashed potatoes and crisp green beans.

Drawbacks are as follows -- usually a long wait for a table and a very noisy dining area.

On our most recent visit we were told the menu is going to undergo a complete overhaul. So results of that wait to be seen. But I'm betting it will still be a great place to go.

Reviewed December 31, 2011

Are you wanting an amazing meal that does not cost a whole lot!!! Well this is the place for you. This place is very affordable and has nice options for all! I do think it has an OK crowd. There have only been a few times that the college crowd or snobby Athens people have made me upset, but I try to ignore them and focus on the food! :) Service is usually great.

Reviewed December 29, 2011

Large wonderful portions, great friendly and consistently good service, an impressive wine list and mouthwatering desserts (oh the cheesecakes!), the Last Resort is a wonderfully impressive restaurant in regard to ambiance when you want to showcase Athens to your out of town guests and leave them raving. It won't drain your pocketbook either...nicely priced and a good value.

It is noisy, be prepared to shout, but do yourself a favor, request a table outside and dive into the stuffed porkchops...an incredible meal awaits you. Sip on some wine as you enjoy watching the passers by from the climate controlled courtyard.

Round out your Athens experience with Speakeasy and Flight for tapas, and Trappeze for a wonderful pub and unique pub food (<3 pork sliders!) experience, Cine for wonderful independent films watched with wine, cocktails or beer in hand, popcorn and Shokotini for lovely sushi and martinis. These round out my top five "eats" list in the city.

*fair warning on servers-Athens has cornered the market on insolent, unhurried, lazy and sometimes just plain discourtesy when it comes to servers-maybe having to do with the college town pool of talent. I, sadly, have only had consistently good service at the Last Resort, the others are definitely, hit and miss. Plan on your southern hospitality elsewhere and hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.