Five Bar
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I had dinner here with a friend a couple of weeks ago and we were feeling hungry and adventurous. We thoroughly enjoyed every thing we tried. The jalapeño pineapple margarita is a refreshing treat. The smoked tuna dip was delicious. The stuffed shrimp (stuffed with crab meat and wrapped in bacon) was amazing, with a good risotto on the side. The cheeseburger was juicy to perfection. And despite being full, the waiter talked us into dessert, bread pudding. I normally have zero interest in bread pudding, BUT this was one of the most delicious desserts I have ever eaten. A cookie for each guest was brought with the check, better than a dinner mint. Apparently they are a family recipe, white chocolate macadamia I think. Honestly, those were the least impressive thing we ate that night. My only complaint would be that the restaurant is crowded and loud. But the food more than makes up for that!

4  Thank benjerin

Reviewed May 30, 2013

FIVE was a great place to relax and enjoy some appys. I tried the baked avocado. It was stuffed with shrimp and bacon with a spicy asian sauce. Sounded strange but really worked well. Great atmosphere with an Asian influence. Lots of interesting sushi on the menu as well.

4  Thank TravelGal22SWFlorida
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Ate here for lunch last Saturday and I must say I have never had a grouper sandwich as fresh as this. When they say they over night this fish from there seafood market in Destin they are not joking around. I've vacationed in Destin before so I know first hand how fresh and local there catch really is. The atmosphere left me in awe as well. Antique chandeliers and really cool eclectic art all over!
The best part of my experience was the ability of the staff to leave my family and I feeling like we'd known them forever. From the moment we walked in the door we were greeted by a smiling hostess and bartender, to the incredible service, all the way to opening the door as we left. This restaurant has left a lasting impression on my family and I and we cannot wait to return. 5 stars, no if, ands, or buts about it.

4  Thank John L
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Went for mother's day lunch. Great atmosphere, music, food and service. 2$ mimosa's. Had a breakfast "burrito" with sausage, egg and bacon topped with queso and salsa and a side of hash browns. Absolutely delicious!! Will definitely return!

4  Thank brenda40024
Reviewed April 30, 2013

All in all...great atmosphere. Good vibe. Attentive service. Adequate food. Weak cocktails.

I really wanted my experience at Five Bar to be outstanding. The place is beautiful and inviting. I've eaten at their location in Tuscaloosa, AL, and I am happy to see them open a restaurant to add to the Athens, GA dining scene. After trying it twice now -- I'll settle for "good, but...."

I like the simplified concept of "five items in all categories: appetizer, entree, cocktails, wine/beer offerings, dessert. If one offers only a few menu items, however, I expect them all to be outstanding. To be fair, the dishes I've tried have been OK: stuffed shrimp (tasty...basically a crab cake crammed in a prawn and wrapped in bacon. What's not to like except the excessive heaviness of it all?), porkchop (good, but unremarkable), baked avocado (interesting...but again, heavy), shrimp pasta (they seem to do most every dish with shrimp). All the dishes are heavily seasoned -- which to me, is overkill for good food prepared well.

I was mostly disappointed with the cocktail offerings. The descriptions are very tempting and should make for very interesting and satisfying drinks -- "The Gentleman" (a bourbon-based drink) I sent back because the bourbon was imperceptible. I also later recalled that I had ordered the same thing with the same experience in Tuscaloosa, so I believe weak cocktails made with a glass overflowing with ice is the standard mixology at Five Bar. On my second visit to the Athens location, I stuck with a local beer offering. Good call.

The standout characteristic of my experiences here has been the service. On my first visit to the Athens location, the waiter was most attentive in addressing my complaint about the weak drink -- took it off the tab and brought me something different made to my liking. A fluke incident in which the computer system failed them then held us "captive" for 35 extra minutes waiting on our check. The manager was appropriately apologetic and left us with a gift card encouraging us to try the restaurant again on a second visit. (which we did with our kids) Again, the service was impressive...the food just OK.

I will certainly eat here again. But it's not my top pick for recommended restaurants in Athens.