“Great food - ok service”

Pulaski Heights BBQ
Ranked #48 of 415 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: Meats smoked daily. Sides from scratch. Not from a bag, not from a can, not from a freezer. If we run out, we close.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Went to dinner on a Friday night with a few friends (total of 4). There was a 15 minute wait but we were seated in ~5-10 minutes, which was great. Our waitress, however, seemed very overwhelmed. My water glass sat empty for the majority of the meal, even though I asked her to refill it several times. She forgot some of our sides, also. The straw that broke the camel's back was that she came back with our bills: $50 for one couple, $15 for another person, and $60 for me. NONE of these receipts were correct and she seemed very inconvenienced about fixing it.

The food, on the other hand, was excellent! Everything was delicious and you could tell a lot of effort had been put into making the food a wonderful experience. I had the pulled chicken and sides of mac and cheese and squash casserole. So good!

Take home point - Skip the restaurant and get take out!

Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Love the look of this restaurant. Food was top notch. Only thing I wasn't elated about was the way they chop thier pulled pork-to many large fatty pieces included.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Barbeque is an art. I didn't know that until I ate here. Forget all that saucy dry shreddy stuff you've had before. The pulled pork is moist and tender with bits of crispy edge here and there. It is seasoned beautifully and is fine on its own, but it is also delicious with either the smoky-sweet tomato sauce or the spicy vinegar sauce. I like to use both. The chicken is perfectly cooked and seasoned and if you are lucky enough to arrive on a day when it is offered with jerk seasoning, you should definitely order it. Catfish is excellent as well and the fish tacos have gotten a big thumbs up from my lunch companion. The tasty fare doesn't end with the main dishes however. Most BBQ joints have only white bread, stew and slaw, but here you can also get beans, squash, collards, cauliflower, mac and cheese, or a daily special side. The slaw is not mayonaisey, in fact it may have none at all. It is mildly seasoned with lime and is a perfect companion to the pulled pork. Squash casserole is flavorful, fresh, not overcooked and not too cheesy. Many of the sides are vegetarian so if your spouse is a herbivore, there's still plenty to eat. Meals are served with fresh rolls from a local bakery. Both the brownie and the banana pudding are wonderful and we regularly stop by with the kids for dessert and train-watching. The full bar offers a great selection of scotch, bourbon and vodka and the bartender is knowledgeable and has lots of creative tricks up his sleeve. There is also a good selection of fine beers or you can go with the PBR. In fact they have a $5 sandwich and PBR special. We enjoy eating here often!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I brought a group of 11 men for lunch last weekend. It was the first time at PHBBQ for all of us and we couldn't have had a better lunch anywhere. We ordered the Pig Pickin which is designed for large groups like ours. The sides were all freshly made and delicious . But the whole pork butt they brought to our table was the real treat. We pulled it apart ourselves and devoured it. When I think of BBQ "fresh" is not the first word that comes to mind, but Pulaski Heights changes all that. A great new addition to the Athens dining scene.

Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

I tried the brisket, which was the special for the day, and it was delicious. My roommate, who had previously been there, has had both the pulled pork (which he said was wonderful) as well a the brisket. Yummy food, great atmosphere, and very nice staff, give it a try!