“A good introduction to Middle Eastern food.”
Review of The Sultan

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Sultan
Ranked #298 of 422 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Athens is a great place to try new food. If you want something, you can probably find it in town. My husband and I went for our first Middle Eastern restaurant experience for my birthday this year. It was new food territory for us (and we love to try new food), so we ordered the mezza for two - basically a sampler plate, which is in general a really good decision if you're trying something new.

We started with stuffed grape leaves - those weren't a favorite for either of us. They weren't bad, just not our taste I guess - kind of oily.

Then came the falafel and shawarma (grilled beef over basmati rice). I love falafel and thought theirs was really good. The shawarma wasn't my favorite for what I thought it would be - the flavor was intense - but my husband loved it.

Then came the main course - chicken, beef, and vegetable kabobs. Best part! The beef kabobs were very good, but the vegetable and chicken kabobs (recommended by our server) were the winner. I LOVE the way they were seasoned!

I really loved the feel of the place. It kind of feels like someone's kitchen in their home - the black and white damask wall paper and red paint, the wide market-style counter in the front with food to take home, the relaxed self-seating. I love the feel of this place.

So here is my very amateur opinion: It's a great introduction to Middle Eastern food. Someone who's well-versed in this kind of cuisine would probably say it's an average place and there's a lot better out there. But our experience was really pleasant, and I would recommend this place to people who haven't yet ventured into Middle Eastern cuisine.

1  Thank autumneeck

Reviewed November 4, 2012

As far as I know this is the only restaurant of the type in the area so I gave it a better rating than I think it deserves simply because if you're looking for Middle Eastern food this is pretty much your only option. This is the new location of the restaurant after it moved from the Atlanta highway. There is plenty of room inside and there are a number of grocery type items found near the cash register which is nice if you're looking for certain hard to find ingredients.

The food was mediocre at best. We got an order of stuffed grapes leaves to begin with, these were actually quite good and probably the best food we had that night. One of us ordered a sampler plate with falafel, baba ganoush, and a few other vegetarian items. The falafel was decent although very dry. The baba ganoush had a number of large chunks of tahini that hadn't been mixed in. Eating a mouthful of plain tahini is not a pleasant experience. I ordered the beef and lamb shawarma. After picking a few hairs out of the dish I found that the meat was very tough and dry. The sauce on top was good but I wish there had been more of it though as everything else was so bland. It was served over a bed of rice which was cold and dry as if it had been cooked much earlier in the day and simply spooned onto the plate without being heated up. The portions are not that large but the prices reflect that. Due to the small portions and lower price I would recommend getting an appetizer to fill you up. The entrees were reasonably priced, around 7-11 dollars per plate but like I mentioned they are fairly small. I would actually prefer to pay a few dollars more to get a larger portion size.
The service was not that great as one of the entrees was brought out a full 5 minutes before the other even though there was only one other group in the restaurant at the time. We also had to ask to have our drinks refilled from a waitstaff that seemed to disappear for lengths of time.
Due to the poor service and food I am not planning on returning. If however, you are looking for Middle Eastern food this is the only option I know of so it may be worthwhile to check out.

1  Thank Kevin O