“Bad first experience, but I'd be willing to try it again...”
Review of Butt Hutt Barbecue

Butt Hutt Barbecue
Ranked #99 of 419 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I ordered an app of fried pickles, the butt plate (pulled pork with two sides), and a few beers. The fried pickles were great! The pulled pork was smoked probably the best I'd even tasted (I always try it before saucing it to enjoy the full smoky flavor); however, the sauce selection wasn't very good or wide..... Plus, there was something terribly wrong--perhaps the bottles had been refilled incorrectly. I chose the sweet bbq and it was so dang hot that my lids eyes were even sweating. Had to wipe tears away as well. I must have looked so foolish, red, sweaty and crying, over bbq and beer. I chose not to complain because I don't like to make a scene, and plus, if the sweet bbq there is really that dang hot, then it's not their fault. Plus I should have sampled it a bit before pouring it on my pork. I'm a big fan of sauces such as Carolina, which tend to be sweet and vinegary...so this 'sweet' sauce was an absolute shock to my system. When I got back to my hotel, my stomach was even upset and I had to put a wet cloth on my face. And I should mention that I only ate half the pork--no way I could torture myself further. I like bbq--see my other reviews--I'm not a novice.

The sides I picked were the baked beans and mac 'n cheese. The beans were very good--some of the best I've had. The mac 'n cheese was just ok. Honestly, I could hardly taste anything put the searing hotness in my mouth.

My waitress was very nice, but the guy who brought out the fried pickles basically just threw them in front of me and walked away without saying anything, which added to my anxiety about making any complaint. I even said, 'thank you' to him and he ignored me completely.

The beer was a great price, large and came cold and frosty! And boy, did I need it!

After all of this, why would I be willing to come back again? There were several 'regulars' there and the crowd was a mix of folks--they all seemed to be enjoying themselves immensely. That's why I think the sauce was mixed up in the wrong bottle or something else was wrong. I might try the ribs next time, or thoroughly check out each type of sauce before putting any one.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

In Georgia you have to make good BBQ or you just won't survive. The Butt Hutt makes good BBQ. The interior is a bit rough, but that is typical (expected?) for a BBQ restaurant. The service was very good, the food came quickly, and the wait staff made frequent visits to be sure everyone had enough. We all certainly had enough, as the portions are generous. We have eaten here a number of times and plan to return.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I didn't actually eat at the Hutt but had it through a catered function on Saturday and the BBQ was great. I also had the beans, which were average, but the mac and cheese was awesome. I passed by there on the way out of town and it looks like a fun place to hang out with friends and enjoy some Q.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I will say off the bat I'm really picky about BBQ, so bear that mind while reading this review. Butt Hutt is a solid choice for some good BBQ in the area. Their ribs are country-style which aren't my favorite, but they're very meaty with a decent dry rub. Their pulled pork was a bit dry and chopped [again, not my preference] but my fiance thoroughly enjoyed it. They offer a variety of sauces at the table, which I loved. The sides were quite good- we had coleslaw, okra, mac and cheese, and chicken mull. I would definitely recommend trying the chicken mull if you go! It was my first time having it and it is unlike anything else I've tried. Prices are decent, and service is friendly in a fun, casual atmosphere.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is no frills but the food tastes really good and the prices are very reasonable. It gets pretty busy from the evidence of our visit but the service was very friendly and the atmosphere was good. Definitely worth a return visit.