“The way Japanese restaurants use to be!!!”
Review of Sakura

Sakura
Ranked #211 of 415 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Ignore the sketchy shopping center exterior. The inside is absolutely beautiful. Wonderful food and service. The cooks still do a "show" and engage the table but not to an annoying degree. Very clean. Only downside is that it is a little pricey.

Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I love this place! We eat here a lot...The hibachi is fabulous and we really like the sushi. The volcano roll is our favorite!

Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

Sakura is a fantastic place to eat, though it isn't the largest place you'll go to for sushi/hibachi. First of all, the sushi: delicious, very fresh and tasty, and some of the most wonderful presentations I've ever seen. A great variety of things to choose from. The hibachi is pretty standard, nothing super special, but not bad at all. It's a beautiful restaurant, with a nice bar and comfortable seating.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I'm not a fan of sushi, so this review might not be helpful to those who like that.

Hubby and I stopped in Sakura for lunch. The location is great for shoppers and others who are on the west side of Athens, just off the busy Atlanta highway. The decor of this restaurant is stunning, and would have been unexpected, except I had read reviews prior to my visit.

We were warmly greeted and seated quickly. There is enough space inside for diners to feel a measure of privacy, which can be lacking in Athens.

After a glance at the fairly expansive menu, we ordered hibachi steak from the lunch special menu. This seemed to be a good price, because there are three courses: soup, salad, and the entree, which includes veggies and rice. For this special, diners do not get a choice of soup or salad. The soup was just clear soup, but quite good. Oddly, it was served at the same time as the salad. I'm glad I let the salad wait, because it was pre-made and cold— ice cold, in fact. By the time it thawed enough to eat, the croutons were crumbling in the dressing. We were given dishes of sauce for the entrees along with the soup and salad. Before we finished those, the entrees arrived. While the portions of steak and mixed vegetables were adequate, I would not call them generous. They were good, however. If not for the nearly frozen salad, I would have chosen "very good" for the food. However, for the price, we could have had generous portions at a competing Japanese spot, right down the road.

The whole experience felt a bit rushed, as if management expected diners have to finish all of those courses and make it back to the office in an hour, including drive time, and that clashed with the overall elegance of the space.

I'd have to try it again, at dinner, to feel comfortable making a recommendation for Sakura, but it is worth a visit, especially if you want an elegant atmosphere.

Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Happened upon Sakura by accident. Was always a fan of Inoko's and Shoki's before they went cheap and low quality. This place is EVERYTHING those places ever wanted to be! Tender steaks, juicy chicken, huge shrimp and one of the classiest atmospheres in all of Athens!!

Been to Sakura? Share your experiences!