“The Service Was Awesome, The Food was Okay”

Herschel’s 34 Chicken & Ribs Kitchen
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Located in Athens, Georgia, Herschel’s 34 Chicken & Ribs Kitchen offers “A Fresh Approach to Southern Family Favorites” with an incredible line up of shareable starters, a great selection of craft beers, wines, and specialty cocktails, delivered by a friendly team who go the extra yard!
Reviewed April 2, 2014

The environment inside Herschel's is kind of bizarre. It's not really "upscale" but it's not dumpy, either. However, when I had an early dinner here (probably about 530 or so), the sun coming in the window was blinding -- I think the windows should be tinted in that part of the restaurant.

The food, for me, was just okay. My date and I had a chicken and ribs plate that came with two sides and fried pickles w/two biscuits. The fries were good and tasted home cooked; the chicken was also quite good and had a nice smoky taste; the ribs were okay, but the sauce they came with was not so good. I always sort of judge a bbq place by their sauce, and Herschel's sauce tasted like it came from a bottle. I was disappointed in that aspect. The biscuits were sort of like the "cheese biscuits" you can make with a powder mix that you buy at the grocery store. Also, not quite as good as I was hoping for.

The meal, with a coupon, came out to just over $20, but I tipped pretty heavily because our server was awesome. So, for the value, I suppose the food was above par. However, if just judging the food for what it is, I'd say Herschel's is worth visiting once if you find yourself in Athens, but I doubt I'd go back for the food alone.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Sat outside to people watch however the foot traffic was light on a Tuesday night. had the ribs and they were tasty but nothing to brag about. Staff was awesome, the beer was cold, and great atmosphere. I'll be back to try something else on the menu. I hope they will be ready for me!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Girlfriend and I were in town for a concert at the Georgia Theatre. Came to town around noon to walk around downtown, have a nice lunch and do some shopping before the show. Herschel's came recommended from a friend. Place was nicely decorated in a pretty trendy sort of way. A bit of an upscale sports bar feel to it. 5 or 6 big screen TVs throughout the place, but the only thing on was a DirecTV logo bouncing around on every screen, so that was a little odd.

We were seated quickly and drink order was taken right away. I had already seen the menu online, so I had an idea what I wanted. Girlfriend got the chicken and french toast and really liked it (I sampled the chicken and it was great!). I asked our waiter if the smoked BBQ pulled pork nachos had any peppers or anything on it other than the pork, sauce and cheese. He said no, just some sort of "parsley or something". I told him I'd take those, but leave off the "parsley or something". That turned out to be green onions, which he didn't bother to tell them to leave off, because they came on the dish. I also inquired about the corn and crab fritters, asking if anything crazy came on those. He said no, just crab and corn in them that he knew of. Well, when those came they had all sorts of tomato, strange sauce and some sort of cooked kale or other leafy green on them. Worth noting that none of that was mentioned on the menu, either. So apparently our server was new or just not observant. The nachos were great once I picked off the onions. The fritters not so much. They tasted more like cornbread pancakes and were definitely not worth the $8. I asked for a side of sour cream with my nachos, and the waiter brought out 3 to-go cups of what appeared to be bleu cheese dressing. Just from looking at it, it was clearly not sour cream. It actually tasted pretty good on the nachos, though, so I went with it.

Overall, pricing is about average for a sit down restaurant. Seemed to have plenty of staff to take care of you and get orders out quickly, but our server was clearly not ready for prime time. Would go back and try it again, but probably only one more chance.

Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Nice decor. Quick service. Some of the food was good (shrimp & grits), kettle chips... the burgers were okay. Average place.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Having attended UGA during part of Herschel's career, I really wanted to like this place, located in the middle of the old downtown Athens. The first time we went, it was about 3:45 in the afternoon and they were closed. Apparently, they serve lunch and then close till 4:30 for the evening diners. My wife and I both chose the All-American burger because I always order the standard hamburger when eating at a new place that serves burgers and sandwich type stuff. We sent the first ones back...undercooked. The meat was hand-patted and lean but seemed a little thin to me. Throw in lettuce, tomato and onion but it was still just average and kind of small considering the price...$9.00.