“Just ok”

Herschel’s 34 Chicken & Ribs Kitchen
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Located in Athens, Georgia, Herschel’s 34 Chicken & Ribs Kitchen offers “A Fresh Approach to Southern Family Favorites” with an incredible line up of shareable starters, a great selection of craft beers, wines, and specialty cocktails, delivered by a friendly team who go the extra yard!
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Met my son in Athens for dinner, tried out Herschel's place. Food was mediocre, service ok. could have been my choice (fish and chips).

There are newer reviews for Herschel’s 34 Chicken & Ribs Kitchen

Reviewed October 13, 2013

The staff doesn't care about the customers. We were placed in Hershel's Living Room, a crappy place on the second floor. They would not reseat us and we're rude to us in response to our question. Don't bother going here, way too many other great places to eat in Athens. Hershel is famous, his place is certainly not.

Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

My hubby and I came here at about 3 pm on a Sunday afternoon - a beautiful fall day with some enjoyable people-watching on the sidewalks of downtown Athens.
Unfortunately, they were missing a few menu items and we didn't find out until we tried to order said items.
We did enjoy the meals we ended up with. My hubby ordered the rib eye entree, with a side of Old Bay seasoned fries. He was pleased with the entire plate (see photo). I ordered the "Oh You Hershel Walker" Grilled Cheese Sandwich. All sandwiches are served with a side of pub chips that come with a mayo dipping sauce. I added fried dill pickle spears to my meal (see photos) and it was all delicious! I ate the side salad that came with my husbands order and I wouldn't recommend bothering with it as it is just a ho-hum salad.
The service was friendly and attentive.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

This place is so poorly managed that I had to comment. We were a group of 6 on a crowded late afternoon after a home football game. We were told 45 minutes wait. An hour and a half later, we walked out. The bartenders were oblivious to the annoyed patrons. The garbage bins were overflowing. Tables sat for 5 minutes before being cleared. The manager, with whom I spoke to twice, did nothing but stand around. Worst restaurant management I've ever seen.

1  Thank CabinSue
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Ever heard of a sports bar that kicks out patrons who want to stay and watch a sporting event? Well now you have! Hooray! I met some friends at Hershel's to watch the first UGA game of the season and when I arrived they were in the middle of an argument with their server. Apparently Hershel's now has a policy that, unless you're in the act of eating food, you cannot occupy a table to watch a UGA game. My friends had already ordered and eaten food and we were all going to enjoy a constant flow of adult beverages (and more food for me) for the next few hours while we settled in to watch the game. However, upon being told that the management was more concerned with turning over tables than actually making a profit (alcohol has a much higher profit margin than food) and supporting their customer base (UGA football fans), we decided there are plenty of other places in Athens that actually appreciate those things and so we went to one of those places instead.

So yeah, the establishment owned by arguably the most famous modern UGA Football player will kick you out if you actually try to watch a UGA game there (unless you're at the bar). Also did I mention they had a signboard out front that said "Come Watch the Game Here!". Oh the irony...

2  Thank cosmictaco