“Nothing special, but did the job”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Athens
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Athens
“Nothing special, but did the job”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

This place is certainly no four star hotel, but did the job for what we needed- place to crash after downtown.
Definitely old and a little dingy, but decent bed and shower

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Richmond, VA
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Because of a family wedding scheduled for Saturday night, April 12th near Athens, GA, my brother who lives in costal Georgia and I searched for a hotel in that area with two rooms, so we could enjoy some family time together. He located a hotel first, and booked two rooms at this hotel through Booking.com. Written confirmations were sent to both of us under their booking number of 204993049. The rooms were guaranteed for late arrival.
At mid-day on the 12th, my brother arrived at the hotel and was promptly given his room. At about quarter to four, I arrived (having a much longer drive than he as I live in Richmond, VA).
I was met at the desk by Mr. Paul Gopaul, who identified himself as the General Manager of the hotel. He also informed me that he could find no copy of my booking, and therefore a room was not available in his hotel.
My wife and I needed to change clothes and freshen up for a the wedding, some twenty miles away at a local winery (and barely an hour before the wedding was due to begin). After spending so much time with Mr. Gopaul, all of it wasted, we used my brothers' room to change our clothes and left.
On the way I used my cars' nav system to locate and reserve another room, this one 40 miles away in Hartwell, GA.
I believe if you check my reviews on Trip Advisor, I try to find positive things to say about most facilities. I am a Senior Contributor. Also, owning an export/import business for many years, I am no stranger to travel.
I have never before encountered a situation like this where, even after showing Mr. Gopaul a written copy of our confirmation, I was never even extended the courtesy of an apology, let alone a room.
Mr. Gopaul assured me he was following all the policies of both Wyndham and Microtel.
There are few things worse at the end of a long, tiring drive than to discover your "guaranteed" room reservation is worthless.
I can assure you this will be the last time I will rent a Wyndham property room, let alone a Microtel.
Be Warned!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Athens hotels

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I booked the room because it was about the only thing open that did not cost an arm and a leg, so I did not expect much. My expectations were met.

The place is old and needs a lot of work. The floors feel like you are walking in a trailer as they creak and bend (no, I am not that fat).

If you want to turn on the lights in the room, you have to walk in, go over by one of the beds and the light switch is on the wall near the floor. Really fun to hunt for the light switch at midnight. The switch on the wall by the door did nothing.

I would have given the place one star, but the mattress was actually quiet good. The bedspread has burn holes and the sheets were iffy clean, but whatever.

Also the yogurt was frozen solid at breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family