“Never Again”

Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Kingsland, Georgia
“Never Again”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I stayed at microtel hotel graduation weekend. The lobbby was hot. The front desk staff was not friendly.I reserved non-smoking rooms but was given smoking.The rooms was not very clean and smelled horrible the furniture is out dated.I do not understand how this hotel pass inspection.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Monticello, Georgia
Reviewed May 12, 2012

I am a business traveler and Microtels used to be business friendly but the room had no amenities, not even a coffee maker, was drab and smelled bad. The breakfast bar had nothing healthy even the juice machine was broken and was out of coffee before 9 A.M.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

Travelers are raving about these Athens hotels

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I recently returned from a two week Colorado to Florida to Ohio and return solo driving trip. For the first time I stayed at Microtel Inns (3 different locations on the trip). I'm a budget traveler and rarely have the desire to spend much more than 50 to 60.00 for a one night stay. After using TA recommendations, I became impressed with Microtel Inns. Yes, they are generally inexpensive basic accommodations, but this meets my criteria. But like the one in Athens I also found them to be clean and well managed. I made reservations on Microtels site and got a king bed room for under $40.00 using my ARRP discount. Microtel offers a 20% discount to AARP members which is about as generous as I've ever seen. This facility is set well back from the road and street noise is not an issue. There's ample well lite parking in front of the motel. Yes the floors are a little squeaky so ask for an upstairs room for the most quietness. Walls are a little thin as well and you can hear TV's and louder conversations. A fair number of construction workers stay here but most go to bed fairly early so interior noise isn't to bad. Basic breakfast is provided.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Cape Coral
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Hi again,
We visited family in Athens and had waaayyyy too many people in which to provide sleeping arrangements. Having said that, I needed to find a place for me to stay--- since my wife and kids had a bed to in which to sleep. I started looking for a hotel/motel which offered the lowest possible price. I found the Microtel Inn that had a web price listed at less than $40. Out of curiosity I looked on tripadvisor to read some reviews. As usual, I found some that liked and some that did not like the property. For me, I posed the question to myself" What expectation do I have for a <$40 property? Having said that, I arrived at this property and LOVED it. The property far exceeded my expectation for a property listed at this value. I STRONGLY encourage you to take advantage of this property if you need a quick safe stay. I have already made plans to stay there next year. Good job Microtel Inn!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank CaptainBigD
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 14, 2011

The last week of July my sister, her best friend, and I stayed at the Microtel on a road trip home from Santa Fe. We did a travel site search for an "unpublished deal" and were given the Microtel for $40 a night. It was cheap, the staff friendly, and there was a free breakfast, which we took advantage of fully. Our room was clean and had extra towels, though there was a damp smell from the dripping air conditioner. The walls of the Microtel are relatively thin, however, and we could hear a raucous party going on a few rooms down. We didn't complain because we were on our way to our next destination, but we could hear the racket, 3 doors down the hall.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank MegAbroad
Columbia
Reviewed October 26, 2011

I stayed at the Microtel Inn for two days. The hotel was reasonably priced at $40.00. The room included a microwave and refrigerator. The only complaint that I have is the water quality. When I turned on the water in the tub I noticed that it was yellow. I think that they need to possibly upgrade their pipes, because the water may contain rust deposits.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Roz M
Westminster, CO
Reviewed October 11, 2011

My wife and I stayed here when we were in Athens, GA, and visiting family and friends.
The rate was okay, I think $60-70 a night.
This hotel is really in need of some repairs, updates, and a good deal of bleach. Once you walk through the hotel and reach your room, you'll agree with me.
First thing, when I walk down the hall on the main floor, why do you feel like you are going to fall through the floor in one place? I didn't investigate what exactly was going on, but it feels like someone lifted the carpet, and place a piece of flimsy particle board under it to bridge a gap in the regular flooring. Very strange and doesn't feel safe, but then again, I didn't fall through the floor.
The room had a cheap feel to it, and the AC vents were visibly dirty from across the room. How do you not clean that when it is that obvious? The bathroom just is not up to the task. It feels and looks like a hospital bathroom, minus the sanitation standards. There was mildew around the tub.
Front desk was okay and price was okay, but honestly, I wouldn't pay $40 a night to stay here. Maybe at $30, hey, you know you aren't getting much because you aren't paying much. Any more than that, you ARE paying TOO much.
I won't stay here again.

Room Tip: if you can find a clean one, pick that one.