Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Athens
Holiday Inn Athens-University Area(Athens)(Great Value!)
$106
$86
Travelocity
$85
TripAdvisor
All reviewsroom was cleanenjoyed my staycomfortable staybagelsexcellent stayuniversity
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 14, 2011

I've stayed here for the past 3 July's. It's almost 100 degrees outside and they had turned off the AC. It was over 90 in our room. The AC could not cool it down. We were supposed to stay 2 nights but went to check out after 1 since I wasn't going to try and sleep in an 85 degree room for another night. The desk clerk was flat out rude. I've never encountered such horrible customer service in my life. I ended up getting charged for the 2nd night even though we checked out and am now disputing it with my credit card company. I will NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank ClaytorHokie
microtelinnathens, Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Athens, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2011

I have looked into your stay and have issued the refund. I have also made changes to the front desk staff. I apologize that your stay was less than acceptable. My goal is to provide excellent customer service and to ensure that everyone has an enjoyable stay.

Reviewed June 18, 2011

I read all the bad reviews and was concerned that I'd been booked into this hotel. What a pleasant surprise I received. Never saw this supposedly rude manager (although he was quite nice to me on the phone when I needed to adjust my reservation) and the staff was happy to meet any needs I had. The refrigerator was set so cold my gallon jug of water froze, but I was able to fix that by changing the thermostat. The room's AC and water worked great, maid service was just fine, and my room was not dirty. There were a few spots where the wall pain was chipped (none bigger than a quarter or so), and the bed was your typical lower-priced hotel bed. The TV was an older 4/3 box, not a widescreen, but reception/cable was fine. Wi-fi also worked fine as well. Breakfast bar offered good varieties of cereal/yogurt. A fellow conventioneer told me his room smelled like pet urine so obviously the hotel has some issues, but I had no problems in my room (220) at all! Okay, it's not the Hilton, but for the price it wasn't bad.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank incrediboyscreator
Reviewed May 12, 2011

I show dogs at least once a month, so I've stayed at multiple motels/hotels over the last year. This is the worst, most poorly run and most run down and unsanitary room I have had to stay in. In addition, the managers are rude and one is a liar. When I checked in, I specifically told them I would pay at the end because I was splitting the cost with my friend and may even pay with a different card. We were given a room where there had been water damage about 2 weeks previously. When we walked into the room, the smell was so strong that I immediately had an asthma attack and began to lose my voice. The upholstered bench under the window was filthy, the laminate on the furniture was pealing back and sharp (scraped myself on it) , the armoire door was falling off its hinges and my bedspread had a cigarette burn hole in it. The toilet kept running and the shower nozzle sprayed everywhere. When I tried to adjust it, the whole pipe started to come out of the wall. The sink wouldn't drain properly and the toilet kept running. The t.v. remote didn't work so I had to pop up to turn the t.v. off and on. I was unable to connect to the internet from the room (which was supposed to be included) and had to walk down to the lobby to get connected. I spend a lot of time on the internet and needed to get some emails out I should not have had to go down to the lobby to connect. I complained to the front desk that I was having health issues from the condition of the room, but she said they were fully booked that night and the next day they would be able to move us into another room. I wanted to cancel the second night, but we were told they needed 24 hours notice to cancel without being charged, which is B.S. We were also told there was a pet fee of $25/per dog/per night, the highest I have ever experienced anywhere. I complained and she said she would just charge a flat fee of $25, but then the manager came knocking on our door and poking his head in to see how many dogs we had (they were all crated) and he wasn't very pleasant, to say the least. Next thing I know, the front desk is calling and asking for $25 in cash to prepay the pet fee. When we checked out, the room was all ready charged and when I complained, I was told she could cancel but it could take a week to be reimbursed and I wasn't about to take the chance of being charged twice. I called the next day and spoke to someone who said she would bring my complaint directly to a corporate representative. When I hadn't heard back by Thursday, I called again and spoke to a different manager, who denied everything I said and even went so far as to say the furniture wasn't pealing and did I take a photo???? She also said there were no complaints written down by the staff at the front, implying that I was lying. Any motel can make a mistake, but proper handling can make up for it. There wasn't even an attempt to make it right and to go so far as to imply I was making up the whole thing is unethical at best. I don't know where the positive reviews are coming from, but this was the absolute worst motel experience I've ever had, bar none.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank lotuschinesecresteds
microtelinnathens, Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Athens, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2011

The health department was called out due to a mildew smell and plumbing issues in the room this guest stayed in. The health inspector stated that there were no plumbing issues, nor was there mildew in the room. This room has not had water damage to it, and I am unsure where the guest got the information stating that there was water damage to their room. I inspected the room upon complaint of this guest and found no issues in the room. I take every complaint seriously and investigate the problems brought to my attention. I have offered this guest a discount on their next stay, and hope to see them in the near future.

Reviewed May 1, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights in early August.

The good: Price is cheap, location is ok, looks nice/ok from outside, breakfast ok (had waffles).

The bad: inside is rundown, no elevator, hallway smells, tub is elevated and awkward to enter/exit, cancellation/early checkout policy is bad- requires 2-day advance notice or you are charged a night. Many things in room were broken (lamp, door handles, A/C controls cover). It looks like the owners are spending very little to maintain this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank cousinmoze
Reviewed January 18, 2011

The front desk crew were very nice and helpful in taking the time out to give us more information about the room/motel as well as were able to advise on what to see and how go around town. It was quiet place to stay without worries and is close to many restaurants and quick to get downtown to explore.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends