“Serious comfort food”

Ranked #19 of 414 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Barbecue
“Serious comfort food”
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Terrific, super-hot food, served to order with a smile and a song... BBQ pork, chicken, Mac and cheese, spinach... All of these are great. There's not a lot of atmosphere, but you can sit outside. It's all about the food. :)

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Smilesdaily

Pekin, Illinois
“Great folks, good bbq, Fantastic price”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stopped in here solo for lunch. It's comfortable establishment without all of the frills. The 'frills' are the folks who own and run the place--who genuinely care about their guests and seem to enjoy and have pride in their place.

Chef B actually took my order and stopped by to make sure I was doing well. I had the pulled pork sandwich. It was good! Meat was smoky and the sauce was decent (though not as much of a variety as I had hoped). Not the best pulled pork I've had--but better than the average! For sides I had the mac 'n cheese and the coleslaw. The mac 'n cheese was good and creamy. The coleslaw looked great and had lots of good things in it, but was a bit blander and less creamy than I'm used to--but that is probably just a personal preference.

The price for what you get is out of this world!!! I couldn't believe it. Came out paying what I'd pay at a fast food place--but of course much better and much more enjoyable!

I'll definitely head here again (B gave me a punch card) next time I'm in town!

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Jennifer P
Athens, Ga.
“This really was Dawg Gone Good BBQ!”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My husband and I were en route to the National to get goat cheese with lavender and honey, when we smelled the aroma of barbecue wafting our way. At that point, we detoured to DGGBBQ, where you can taste before you buy. We tasted, we bought! Tamika, Chef B J's sister, served us squash casserole (oh my goodness) and spinach supreme (oh my goodness again) with our sandwich. We ate outside, always my first choice, and truly enjoyed our experience, especially when Chef B J walked up and we got to converse with him, and have my picture made with him and his sister.

2 Thank FionaSue
Athens, GA
“Great BBQ in Downtown Athens”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Some of the best BBQ I have ever had. We had ribs and pork and both were great. Later we were able to sample the giant wings and sausage. Also with great side and friendly service it is a great choice for Athens.

2 Thank bowenb3
Savannah, Georgia
“Good BBQ & sides”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The BBQ ribs were very good and the Mac&Cheese was tasty. This is not fine linen cloth dining, it is a small place with friendly staff & tasty food ! We were served quickly, so it is good for a fast-on the go - meal. Comfortable outdoor area. We will visit agin when in Athens ! The prices are most reasonable too.

1 Thank jameshtybee