“A Variable Feast of Good Seafoods and Sauces.”

George's Low Country Table
Ranked #12 of 415 Restaurants in Athens
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 2, 2014

It was Sunday after a big football game and the places was crowded but we had reservations and got seated immediately (a first good sign). The greeter was Reggie, the owner (read their menu to see why he named it George's). A sensible variety of appetizers and entrees as well as salads and sandwiches. There were six so we got to see how they did on a number of selections. Shrimp fried lightly in a dusting of flour and corn meal, just right. Crawfish Etouffee and fried, both cooked right and the sauce delicious. Shrimp and grits with coarse ground grits cooked to a grits lovers delight. The other orders, likewise, prepared and served with excellence. Only complaint was the Cole slaw was way too spicy form our taste with red pepper flakes and cayenne loaded up. The Crème Brule desert was as good as any we ever had. Oysters were a fav of one or our party and he rated them delish.

There are newer reviews for George's Low Country Table

Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

Came here for my birthday 2 years ago and I was very disappointed in the food. Nothing special about it. I live in the area and whenever I ride by it aggravates me still that we spent my 60th here when there were so many better choices in Athens.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

I was meeting a friend who was late. Sitting at the bar, I ordered fried dill pickles, which were as good as I remembered but were, to my surprise, no longer on the menu. Why did I get them? They provide them now only for people like me, who remember and ask!

I'm not a martini drinker, but Mondays are their $3 special, so I looked at their menu and ordered one. After a sip or two, I really didn't like it, so the bartender dumped it and made me another, no additional charge.

We were deep in conversation and didn't realize it was after 10 p.m., closing time. Fifteen minutes later, the staff still had done nothing to disturb us. Very gracious of them.

Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

We stopped here for brunch as we pulled into Athens thanks to the Trip Advisor reviews. We had the stuffed eggplant & crawfish étouffée and key lime pie. All completely delicious and bargains given the prices/serving sizes. Can't wait to eat here again (we're already considering coming back for dinner).

3  Thank joh103
Reviewed June 20, 2014

I am going to have to call this the best in Athens, at least for locals who want really good food at a decent price. I am hesitant to give a really glowing review for fear that it will become crowded or the good business model might change. Anyway, it is a good, simple-without-being-boring menu, and the big bonus of not having to fight for parking, like the downtown places. Food is really fresh and atmosphere (at least on a Thursday night) very pleasant. We went here shortly after they opened for a Sunday brunch and found it just so-so, but have been back two or three times on a weekday evening and everything has been way better, at a more reasonable price, than the other highly rated places in town. DISCLAIMER: Do not assume any Athens, GA reviews are valid during UGA home football games, or any other scheduling anomalies due to the university scheduling!

1  Thank jljathens