“Great Étouffée”

Ranked #12 of 422 Restaurants in Athens
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Located just off the 10 Loop in a small shopping center on South Milledge Avenue in Athens, GA, George's might be overlooked. If you did, you'd be missing one of the best low country meals to be had in Athens. Nice little bar that has become something of an "end of the day" waterhole for a small group of locals. The menu is not an extensive one, but every dish I've ever ordered at George's has been well prepared from fresh ingredients and beautifully presented - my "go to" dish is the Crawfish Étouffée and I highly recommend it. If there's such a thing as low country comfort food, this is it. Great food, good bar, attentive staff and a decent wine list. And the small cheese biscuits served at the beginning of the meal defy description.

1  Thank Bob N

Reviewed May 31, 2014

It was my birthday and I wanted something new and different. A place that I haven't been to before,I'm so glad I choose George's it was so very good!!!! If you get the chance to go you must try and go. I had the low country boil it was the best.

2  Thank amanda1234547
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We frequent George's because the food is terrific and the staff are always welcoming. Mainstays are: fried shrimp, includes potatoes and a corn-tomato side dish; crawfish Étouffée, with rice; excellent crab cakes; and redfish (or similar) with Étouffée topping. All are accompanied by cheese biscuits and a nice side salad. For excellent cuisine, the prices are very reasonable. We particularly like George's for special occasions.

Jermaine is a special waiter and we are always happy when he greets us and comes to our table.

1  Thank AthensBulldawg
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Went to George's with friends. I ordered the gumbo while my wife ordered the scallops. The gumbo was more tomatoey than i have had elsewhere (my standard for gumbo is from New Orleans and I make my own gumbo at home, so my standards may be too high). The six scallops were served on a bed of grits. These were large scallops (ocean?) and seemed a bit over cooked (a bit chewy and not as sweet). Maybe my experience diving for scallops in Florida has set my expectations rather lofty.

Some of our friends ordered the crawfish étouffée and said it was very good.

Overall our food was good, but seemed a bit expensive for what was served ( six scallops were $20).
I would return if my friends insisted we eat there, but it would not be my first choice for dining in Athens. Server was great and the outdoor live music added ambiance.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

While touring with a bus group, our leader had chosen this restaurant for our evening meal. We were seated on the shady patio on a blissful, pleasant evening. The food was outstanding as was the service. Everyone complimented their choice in food. I wish we lived closer to the area so we could visit again.