“A Wonderful Day Spent Discovering Athens”
Review of Georgia Food Tours - CLOSED

Georgia Food Tours
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have lived in Athens, Ga for about two years and I can honestly say I was not prepared for what Athens Food Tours had to offer. The tour was such an eye-opening experience. Of the 5 restaurants we visited, I had not been to any of them prior to the tour. I realized how much of Athens I was really missing out on. Athens has such a rich culture and atmosphere that you really have to dive into to be able to experience all its wonders. Our tour guide, Mary Charles is extremely knowledgeable on the town's history and paints a wonderful picture of the Classic City that puts meaning behind each dish. The food was delicious of course, however its the experience and the discovery of Athens that couples with the food to hit the spot!

Reviewed January 29, 2013

The second I came home from my first Athens Food Tour, I couldn't help but burst through the door and tell all my room mates about the wonderful afternoon I had just experienced. After a not-so-fun & rainy Monday, I was looking forward to my Athens Food Tour all week! Mary Charles was such an incredible tour guide. She is truly gifted with people and has a personality that can bring even the most shy guest out of his or her shell. Since I grew up in a highly-populated suburban town, I have never before experienced food this authentic, natural, and non-processed. It makes a fantastic eating experience to know exactly where your food has come from, what's in it, etc. And it all tastes SO much better! On Athens Food Tours, Mary Charles takes you to 5 like-minded, local restaurants where you not only taste the wonderful food, you get to meet the restaurant owners and hear their story first-hand! It is truly amazing. Mary Charles is also like your own, personal walking encyclopedia of Athens. There is never a dull or awkward moment walking through the streets of Downtown Athens, as Mary Charles has plenty of strange facts, stories, and anecdotes about almost every place you could think of. She is truly knowledgable, as well as entertaining and personable. I highly recommend this experience, and I promise you will get to know and feel more personally connected to Athens after going on an Athens Food Tour. Bring your camera, some walking shoes, a jacket if it's cold outside, and some fun stories to share with your tour group. Athens Food Tour not only expanded my taste-buds, but it also expanded my mind and knowledge about the great college town of Athens.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Athens Food Tours has great quality tours for people of all ages! The restaurants on the tours are top quality with foods that are all locally grown. Many are mom and pop kind of places - which certainly have the best food because they are thinking about the quality of food they serve not the quantity. They value their customers and form relationships with each of them. The history behind the stops on the food tour is incredible, so interesting! When I went on my food tour with Athens Food Tours, it was like a walk down memory lane for me from when I went to Italy for a summer. The food not only tasted good, but it ignited emotions, friendships, etc. Food is more than just filling your stomach! With Athens Food Tours, food becomes an unforgettable experience!

2  Thank Awriter04040
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I went on my first Athens Food Tour yesterday and I had an amazing time! We stopped at 5 different places located in downtown Athens: Community, Clocked, The Branded Butcher, Athens Bagel/Always Baked Cookies, and La Dolce Vita. The food at every stop was incredible, and it was really cool to learn history and fun facts about each place from our guide, Mary Charles. Whether or not you are familiar with Athens, I highly recommend taking a food tour with this company!

2  Thank ReaganFromm
See more reviews
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Living in athens and loving to eat, I did not know what I was in store for when I went on my first food tour with Mary Charles yesterday. But let me tell you, was it great! Visiting five restaurants and local spots in three hours while getting to walk around the beauty and charm of downtown in the afternoon was a literal and figurative treat. Mary Charles is an excellent guide and her anecdotes of the downtown area tell of all the character this Classic City has to offer. Not only that though, it was so WONDERFUL to get to talk with the owners and managers of the establishments that we visited. The food itself was great, but it was the stories behind the dishes that made this tour so worthwhile.

1  Thank Lauren S