“Impossible to end an Athens Food Tour without a smile on your face”
Review of Georgia Food Tours - CLOSED

Georgia Food Tours
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The second I came home from my first Athens Food Tour, I couldn't help but burst through the door and tell all my room mates about the wonderful afternoon I had just experienced. After a not-so-fun & rainy Monday, I was looking forward to my Athens Food Tour all week! Mary Charles was such an incredible tour guide. She is truly gifted with people and has a personality that can bring even the most shy guest out of his or her shell. Since I grew up in a highly-populated suburban town, I have never before experienced food this authentic, natural, and non-processed. It makes a fantastic eating experience to know exactly where your food has come from, what's in it, etc. And it all tastes SO much better! On Athens Food Tours, Mary Charles takes you to 5 like-minded, local restaurants where you not only taste the wonderful food, you get to meet the restaurant owners and hear their story first-hand! It is truly amazing. Mary Charles is also like your own, personal walking encyclopedia of Athens. There is never a dull or awkward moment walking through the streets of Downtown Athens, as Mary Charles has plenty of strange facts, stories, and anecdotes about almost every place you could think of. She is truly knowledgable, as well as entertaining and personable. I highly recommend this experience, and I promise you will get to know and feel more personally connected to Athens after going on an Athens Food Tour. Bring your camera, some walking shoes, a jacket if it's cold outside, and some fun stories to share with your tour group. Athens Food Tour not only expanded my taste-buds, but it also expanded my mind and knowledge about the great college town of Athens.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Athens Food Tours has great quality tours for people of all ages! The restaurants on the tours are top quality with foods that are all locally grown. Many are mom and pop kind of places - which certainly have the best food because they are thinking about the quality of food they serve not the quantity. They value their customers and form relationships with each of them. The history behind the stops on the food tour is incredible, so interesting! When I went on my food tour with Athens Food Tours, it was like a walk down memory lane for me from when I went to Italy for a summer. The food not only tasted good, but it ignited emotions, friendships, etc. Food is more than just filling your stomach! With Athens Food Tours, food becomes an unforgettable experience!

2  Thank Awriter04040
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I went on my first Athens Food Tour yesterday and I had an amazing time! We stopped at 5 different places located in downtown Athens: Community, Clocked, The Branded Butcher, Athens Bagel/Always Baked Cookies, and La Dolce Vita. The food at every stop was incredible, and it was really cool to learn history and fun facts about each place from our guide, Mary Charles. Whether or not you are familiar with Athens, I highly recommend taking a food tour with this company!

2  Thank ReaganFromm
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Living in athens and loving to eat, I did not know what I was in store for when I went on my first food tour with Mary Charles yesterday. But let me tell you, was it great! Visiting five restaurants and local spots in three hours while getting to walk around the beauty and charm of downtown in the afternoon was a literal and figurative treat. Mary Charles is an excellent guide and her anecdotes of the downtown area tell of all the character this Classic City has to offer. Not only that though, it was so WONDERFUL to get to talk with the owners and managers of the establishments that we visited. The food itself was great, but it was the stories behind the dishes that made this tour so worthwhile.

1  Thank Lauren S
See more reviews
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I met Mary Charles on a trip to Athens with friends back in September, and am about to finish my beat up packet of Travelin' Joe coffee from our last stop on a beautiful, casual and tasty afternoon. Our explorations included Community Vintage (for Little Cuckoo Chocolates), Athens Bagel, Trappeze, Clocked Diner, La Dolce Vita and Jittery Joe's...whoa! I don't know how she packed in that much without us ever feeling rushed, it must be the magical tour guide pixie dust. She warmed us up slowly: appetizer stops for sweets, beer and chips w/ hummus (the only stop that could use some tweaking on food) and then a beer-lover's flight; next some heavenly peanut-butter-bacon-burger creation that this most-of-the-time-vegan had to try, a multi-course Italian sampler and an after dinner walk down the hill to breath in the local coffee roasting craft. All with the history of Athens and downtown development mixed-in, and a focus on home-grown business owners.

There was a Puerto Rico food tour guide in our group, so we learned a bit of the inside scoop on her business and a lot about Mary Charles. She seems to be overjoyed with trying and learning new things while pursuing this passion in the town she loves.

By the way: This was my very first food tour, so the bar has been set high!