“Great Vibe!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Great Vibe!”
Reviewed March 16, 2012

We had such a wonderful time at the Hotel Indigo. The staff was super friendly and helpful, the bar was fun and had great food, and the room was super cute. The whole place has a very modern feel. I loved the little details, like the pictures in the elevator that changed. When we went it ended up raining all weekend, so though we were crazy close to downtown, we spent a good deal of time in the hotel, and felt very comfortable. The bed was cozy, the bathroom was beautiful. Room service was quick, and they have a delicious warm brownie with vanilla ice cream that you should definitely get! It felt like a secret getaway. We will be back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelIndigoAthens, Management Representative at Hotel Indigo Athens-University area, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Hello Joanna! Thank you so much for taking the time to review Hotel Indigo-Athens! We are elated to hear that you & your companion enjoyed your stay at our property. We hope you join us again in the very near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed March 12, 2012

First, the staff was very friendly and responsive, but that was about all the positive spin I would give this hotel. The IHG brass must have had many a chuckle after coming up with the “green gimmick”. It’s actually just a very austere hotel environment, which I assume is very cheap to build and maintain. In my opinion the hotel is disguised as an environmentally friendly business to save on operating expenses and up the Indigo Brand name. There's nothing here that qualifies for paying a premium room rate. No drawers, just baskets. No pools, no fitness center, nothing you wouldn't find at a much lesser property. The furniture is particle board. The ceiling is bare concrete. The rooms are under-lit, and figuring out how to turn on the few existing lights is a task. You actually have to use your room key to turn on the bathroom lights. The wood (?) floors would make sense because carpets in hotels are notoriously filthy, but the staff would have to clean the floors the pull that off. I saw the same piece of shag throw-rug sitting in plain view for four days. The floors were sticky. Getting them to change your sheets is a major task. Want more than three towels? You’ll have to call the desk, because the maids take your tips, but ignore your request for two extra towels. On three of the nights we stayed the place was full of young teens. The first two nights they raced up and down the halls until the early morning. This is not a quiet hotel. Any noise whatsoever in the hall may as well be in your room. The food was subpar and I suspect is prepared in a microwave. I’m a Gold Elite member and was charged $10 per day for parking in a lot that for two of those days was open to the public for free. If you pay more than standard 2** room rates for this hotel you’re throwing your money down the drain, and I think that would qualify as pollution.

Room Tip: People going to the Penthouse seemed happier.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Gary B
HotelIndigoAthens, Management Representative at Hotel Indigo Athens-University area, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Hi Gary! Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We’re very pleased you found our staff warm and receptive. However, we are saddened to hear your overall opinion of the hotel. Each Hotel Indigo is designed to reflect the community it is located in. When building our property, we decided to reflect the local flare & sustainability efforts that take place within Athens, Georgia everyday. This idea led to our becoming one of the first LEED Gold hotels in the country! We’ve provided some links that will offer you a third-party perspective and provide some insight into what goes into the construction of a U.S. Green Building Council LEED Gold certified building (http://www.usgbc.org/). You can also learn more about the Urban Land Institute (http://www.uli.org/) which is a non-profit group that assist and recognizes communities, builders, or designers that are on the leading edge of construction and development globally. Our green status has caused us to be recognized by the group as a “New Build of the Year”. Like anything eco-friendly, some features of our hotel are unique and not for everyone, but the last impression we want anyone to have of our hotel is that it’s a “gimmick” or that we’re passing along untruths. We take our ecofriendly position very seriously, and both the building and staff are dedicated to running the hotel in that spirit.

We sincerely appreciate your feedback!
Weehawken, New Jersey
Reviewed March 7, 2012

What can I say about this hotel, that it is the best hotel in Athens period! With a great location in downtown and walking distance to everything there is nothing more that I can ask out of a hotel. The night staff, especially Night Manager Ryan Crenshaw, went about and beyond his duties to make my staff enjoyable and fun! I definitely recommend this guy for a raise or for an award!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
HotelIndigoAthens, Management Representative at Hotel Indigo Athens-University area, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review of Hotel Indigo-Athens & our staff! We are beyond pleased to know that you enjoyed your visit & found our staff members to be warm & accommodating. We hope you stay with us again soon!
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed March 7, 2012

I would say this is the best Hotel in Athens! It is clean, cozy, and beautifully designed! I would highly recommend staying here! The service staff were friendly and helpful! I can not get over how beautiful the rooms are! The beds are very comfortable and cozy! Everything in downtown Athens is within walking distance!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your extremely kind review of Hotel Indigo-Athens! We are pleased to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your visit and find our property to be the best in Athens! We hope you visit us again very soon!
Marietta, GA
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Probably the nicest hotel in the city. You can walk almost everywhere from here. The rooms are funky and very European. It's expensive, but worth it. They upgraded us to a suite. Room 431 is fantastic!

• Stayed March 2012
HotelIndigoAthens, Management Representative at Hotel Indigo Athens-University area, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Indigo-Athens! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you visit us again very soon!
Tampa
Reviewed March 3, 2012

After years of weekly travel for work, I have stayed in many nice hotels but, I have to say, I may be a Hotel Indigo convert after my recent stay at the Hotel Indigo in Athens, GA! It was gorgeous, luxurious, and yet also a fantastic price! I still can't get over it, actually. The room had hardwood floors, wood ceilings (GREAT touch!), lovely decor (modern vibe but also a warm and zen-like atmosphere), and was extremely clean and VERY spacious (see pics attached). The "green" initiative at Hotel Indigo is also refreshing but not overdone (meaning, I still had great water pressure for my shower and for toilet flushes-- perfect!). :-)

Parking was gated and there was a downstairs door to the parking area that was accessible only to guests-- very safe and convenient. The lobby was beautiful and the front desk staff were SUPER friendly; really made you feel welcomed.

I enjoyed a room service meal from the Madison Restaurant which is a part of the hotel. The chicken kabobs were so delicious-- I highly recommend them-- and I didn't have to wait long for the delivery... a definite bonus!

After dinner, I cranked up my laptop and enjoyed a great connection with the wireless internet service the hotel offered. Thereafter, I hit the hay and it only took seconds for me to fall asleep on the dreamy bed. Super comfy!

This hotel is conveniently located within walking distance to The Classic Center. I was there for an education conference and was exhibiting so I actually drove instead of walking to the venue because I had booth materials to unload, but, I promise, it is totally walkable... just a few short blocks away.

On my last visit, I stayed at the Foundry Park Inn which was also lovely but I would definitely opt for the Hotel Indigo from now on for my visits to Athens, GA. I am also inclined to now check for the Hotel Indigo brand when I am in other cities as well because of the good experience this hotel gave me. When you travel as much as I do, finding a gem like this can really make you feel like you found a home-away-from-home while on the road and that is always a very, very good thing. Enjoy your trip to Athens and be sure to give this fantastic hotel your patronage for a fun stay in the hip and happening downtown district! You won't be disappointed. :-)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind review of Hotel Indigo-Athens! We are beyond pleased to hear that you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay. We highly recommend visiting our fellow Hotel Indigo partners when traveling outside of Georgia. We hope to serve you again in the near future!
Charlotte
Reviewed February 28, 2012

This is a belated review---we stayed here back in December (a few days before Xmas, so the hotel was almost empty). The hotel is located an easy two block walk from the lively restaurant and bar/club scene of downtown Athens. It is supposedly one of the "greenest" hotels in the US, with everything oriented to energy efficiency, etc. The "green" touches here are quite impressive, and the hotel reminds me of a modern European boutique hotel. Our room had all the comforts (flat screen TV, comfortable bed, etc.) you would expect from a top notch boutique hotel. Parking is free and in a garage under the hotel. There is no full-service restaurant, just a cool looking breakfast bar (which also has a nice outdoor patio). Staff were friendly and in tune with the contemporary feel of the hotel. There is a nightclub on the garage level, but it wasn't open when we were there. Our only complaint was that when I made the reservation over Indigo's central reservation number, I asked if breakfast was included in the room rate, and was told that it was. However, when we went for breakfast, I was advised that breakfast was not included in the AAA rate. But the desk clerk quickly agreed that it was their fault, and gave me a $20 voucher for breakfast (enough for what we wanted). Overall, a really neat place.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
HotelIndigoAthens, Management Representative at Hotel Indigo Athens-University area, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
We appreciate your review of Hotel Indigo-Athens! We are very proud of our LEED Gold Certified (aka "green") status and are happy that you mentioned that in your review! We apologize for the discrepancy, but are very glad to know you were well taken care of by one of our conscientious staff members. We hope you return to Hotel Indigo-Athens in the very near future!