“Decent...but what is the hype about?”

Hotel Indigo Athens-University area
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Athens
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 17, 2011

Some of the exuberant reviews would lead one to believe that this place is going to blow your mind....talk about hype! Don't get your expectations too high or you will surely be disappointed.

The positives of this hotel are:

- Close to downtown Athens (10 minute or less walk; $5 by taxi)
- Rooms are different than the usual (wood floors; walk-in shower without tub; other minor style features that make the hotel more "hip")
- Power saving features/"green" building design
- Free parking, above ground as well as some underground
- Cute lobby and bar/bistro area
- Comfortable bed
- Flat screen HD TV (though this is now fairly standard)

The negatives are:

- The wood floors seem to contribute to noise problems; your can also hear people in the halls (doors opening and closing, housekeeping doing their work, people talking). Ear plugs are recommended...
- If being directly in downtown Athens is desired, the Hilton Garden Inn is closer (though this hotel is certainly walkable)
- Some service issues...for example, when I tried to check in at 2:30 p.m., I was told that the rooms hadn't yet been cleaned and inspected. I had to wait in the lobby until about 3:15 p.m., along with at least five other customers (on the positive side, they gave me a complimentary coupon for 2 drinks at the bar).
- Many of the rooms don't have a bathtub, just shower. This might not be an issue for most people, though.
- There is a "club" in the basement that the hotel rents out for events, such as fraternity socials, prom stuff, small scale music gigs, etc. -- this seems to indirectly create a lot of noise and crowding for a small hotel (lots of teenagers tying up the elevators and running around during my visit)

Overall, was stay was acceptable but I was not impressed in the way that some reviewers have apparently been. If you are comparing this place to some of the local, 2-star and 3-star hotels in Athens, yes, it is much better. However, I would likely be inclined to stay at the Hilton when I return to Athens. It is a better location, quieter, and the same price. Along that vein, I really can't say that this place is worth $180 and up -- but okay if you get a deal.

I think that Indigo is worth a try if you are simply tired of the typical hotel decor. This place seems to be aiming to be slightly avante garde, a bit of a hybrid between a normal hotel and the Kimpton hotels.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank ATLDawg
HotelIndigoAthens, Management Representative at Hotel Indigo Athens-University area, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Indigo-Athens! We appreciate both your positive and negative comments as we are always striving to make out hotel the best it can be. We apologize for the check-in delay and hope that your complimentary drinks made up for the inconvenience. Thank you again for your review and for choosing Hotel Indigo-Athens! Happy Travels!

Reviewed April 1, 2011

So, for anyone who doesn't know the Hotel Indigo family. This is a LEED building which means it is held to the highest standard of environmental design. It practices features that limit energy use and excess waste. Very nice hotel but is different than normal stays because of its environmental stand. Uses hardwood floors to reduce waste (carpets have to be replaced more and need to be vacuumed). Parking is not great, especially if you have a large vehicle. I lived in Athens for 5 years and Hotel Indigo is in a good part of town, but heading to a bad part of town. Very close to great bars and restaurants. PS- Wednesday nights are Dogs and Martini nights. I often took my dog. So, if you don't like dogs then don't go on Wednesday.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review of Hotel Indigo-Athens! We are very proud of our LEED Green Certification and hope that our guests can appreciate our innovative techniques of reducing waste and energy conservation. Our Wednesday night Canine Cocktail Hour is one of our most popular events, but there is always room away from the animals if you're not a dog person. We hope you visit us again at Hotel Indigo-Athens very soon!

Reviewed March 20, 2011

This hotel has been built to the highest environmental standards, but the builders also paid utmost attention to aesthetics. The spare design is calming and incorporates natural elements such as rocks, water, images of flowers, and earth tones into the plan of the hotel. The use of natural light is spectacular, as are the spacious rooms, incredibly comfortable bed, and extremely reasonably priced drinks menu (decent glass of chardonnay for $5!). Our only complaint was that the breakfast eggs were seriously dry. But for a wonderful vacation in simply luxury, this hotel can't be beat.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

The title of your review alone was enough to make us glow with pride. We sincerely appreciate your kind words about our property. It means so much to us to know that you enjoyed our decor and experienced a relaxing and calming stay at our hotel. Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo-Athens! We hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed March 18, 2011

For some reason my travel coordinator made a reservation for me at this hotel and so I decided to stay on my recent trip to Athens. I frequent the Hilton chain as I am an HHonors member and really like the points, but I gave the Indigo a try. I had never even heard of a hotel called Indigo and wondered if it were named for a singing group. When I finally arrived after stopping twice to ask directions I saw a dark colored building that didn't even look like a hotel, much less a first class hotel. When I entered the lobby the first thing I noticed was the smell of a wet dog; and then I saw them. There were dogs all over the lobby and in the bar area....what was this place? I checked in and went to my room....it was nice enough, but for the price I would figure that carpeting on the floor would be included. The wood floors were OK, but now I know why other hotels use carpeting--It kills the noise of the customer above you as they gallup across their room. Went out to eat and came back to discover there was no where to park except on the street....you would think they would have enough parking spaces for their paying customers! All in all this hotel seems to me that it doesn't know what it wants to be.....It is extremely expensive, yet caters to dogs, go figure.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank bboy55

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Hotel Indigo-Athens. We appreciate your honest opinion and will take your constructive criticisms into consideration. Here at Hotel Indigo, we pride ourselves on being a pet-friendly establishment. We realize that pets mean a lot to our guests, and our guests mean a lot to us, so we want to reach out to their pets if it makes our guests more comfortable. We realize that this may not be appealing to all guests, and we apologize for that. Thank you again for your review. Happy Travels!

Reviewed March 17, 2011

When I found out my nephew was getting married in Athens, GA, I knew I'd need a place to overnight and also that my brother's house would be filled to capacity with out-of-town guests. I immediately went on Trip Advisor to search out hotels in the area, discovered that there was a new hotel in town, and saw that people were saying great things about it. It was an easy decision to book a room but because I have often have bad luck with choosing hotels, I was still a bit wary just the same.

Well, let me assure you that the curse has been lifted, or at least been given a reprieve, because the Hotel Indigo really is all the great things people say it is, and more. My elderly parents shared my room with me and even though we have vastly different styles of traveling we were all very comfortable together. From the tasteful and attractive decor throughout the entire room, to the giant shower in the bathroom and the comfy, fluffy beds, the room was both inviting and practical at the same time.

Our room was not only lovely and comfortable, but also fairly sound-proof as well, which certainly helped contribute to everyone getting a good night's sleep before the nuptials, and also adding to the feeling that we were in our own private oasis as it were. (Example: the hotel has a young and hip crowd that likes to gather in the bar/lobby downstairs and listen to live music but we never heard a peep once we ascended the elevator to our rooms, and we also could not hear the transient noises from the street below or the corridor outside our room.)

A personal note: my father no longer has the dexterity needed to tie his own tie and my mother and I soon discovered we had no skills in that area either. I hit upon the idea of asking the young, male concierge downstairs to give my dad a hand. Not only did he tie my dad's tie, but he behaved as though our request was the most natural thing in the world, thus ensuring that my father did not feel embarrassed or apologetic about the matter.

All in all, I cannot recommend this hotel enough. It is clean, it is lovely to look at, it is comfortable, and they know how to treat their guests. Truly a classic stay in the Classic City!

• Stayed: March 2011

Thank you so much for your review of Hotel Indigo-Athens! Your positive comments about our property make us proud and hopeful that we can continue providing delightful experiences for guests for years to come. Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo-Athens! We hope you visit us again very soon!

Reviewed February 22, 2011

I had a great stay in this clean, quiet and hypoallergenic hotel and don't have much to add to the positive reviews already posted. I will point out that parking is $10/night in the lot/garage attached to the hotel. However, there is not enough parking for everyone and I ended up at 10:30 PM finding no parking space there and getting my $10 refunded. There are a few spaces on the street and in a municipal lot across the street (the latter only on weekends). If you drive a fancy car this may not be acceptable so be forewarned.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Hotel Indigo-Athens! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and are very sorry for the parking issues. We hope you visit us again at Hotel Indigo-Athens very soon!

Reviewed February 14, 2011

We were headed to Atlanta for a quick anniversary trip at the St. Regis and found out my husband's work schedule didn't permit the time off so we switched to a "staycation" at the Hotel Indigo. We arrived about 4 o'clock on Monday and told the clerk, who asked where we were from, why we were there. He immediately upgraded our basic king room to a full suite and wished us happy anniversary! The suite was great - huge! Since my husband didn't have to work until the afternoon we spent a lazy morning drinking the complimentary Jittery Joe's (local - love it!) coffee in our room and thoroughly enjoyed it! Big enough to let the early bird get up and watch tv and let the sleepy head sleep in :)

When we arrived on Monday, there was a Manager's reception in the bar (which is pretty hip and was fairly crowded, even on Monday), with free house wine. We had a glass of their Cabernet and got an appetizer a piece - we were starving! The mixed green salad was yummy and huge! I didn't want the standard sugared pecans so they brought out roasted pecans instead. My husband got the hummus plate, which was much more than it appeared. Roasted red pepper hummus (very good but may have been Sabra), lots of mixed olives, red pepper slices, pita bread, etc. . .

We had dinner at the 5 & 10 and loved the quick commute back to the Hotel Indigo - we might even do it again next year - very low stress, high romance anniversary!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo-Athens as the venue for your anniversary! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were impressed with our property. The happiness of our guests is our main priority, and we're happy to hear you were more than satisfied with your stay. We hope you visit us for another romantic get-away very soon!