“Fabulous food, take Daddy's credit card”
Review of The National

The National
Ranked #4 of 422 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Open for lunch Monday - Saturday and dinner daily; our bar also remains open for coffee and tapas during the day 2:30 - 5pm. The idea behind The National is simple: to provide a casual neighborhood gathering spot reminiscent of the bars and cafés we’ve enjoyed on travels to Europe. Mediterranean inspired food and wine is served for lunch and dinner in the dining room and throughout the day at the bar. While our menu points to culinary traditions from abroad, we value our local farmers and our dishes reflect the changing seasons in Northeast Georgia.
Reviewed February 17, 2013

One of the most delicious meals I've eaten in Athens. The prices are a bit shocking but if someone else is picking up the tab (or you are really celebrating something big) go there!

Reviewed December 30, 2012

I just spent a leisurely hour and half at the National yesterday. I knew that they stayed open between lunch and dinner hours for drinks and appetizers, so two of my girlfriends and I chose to have our little reunion there (I was home for the holidays). The bar area was surprisingly full (a good sign, in my book), and since it would be difficult to chat, we asked if we could have a table in the dining room. The gentleman who had greeted us at the door disappeared for a moment, then returned, said it wasn't a problem, and let us choose where we wanted to sit.
The offerings are *very* limited during the period between lunch and dinner; however, everything was fabulous. We ordered the hummus, a salad, and stuffed dates. (I got the dates, and they were without a doubt the best I've ever had--very simple, stuffed with manchego cheese and a sliver of celery, a sprinkle of smoked paprika, then drizzled with something like balsamic syrup. Wowza!)
I also had their special "Autumn" gin and tonic: Gin, housemade tonic (cinchona bark, rose petals, juniper berries, star anise, rosemary), and orange bitters. It was a surprisingly subtle drink. And good.
My partners were also quite happy with their chardonnay and a Finnish beer. We each had a second round and thoroughly enjoyed just hanging out and talking. The service was attentive and friendly but unobtrusive.
Apart from excellent food and drinks, what makes me love the National is the atmosphere. It is a comfortable, cozy space (without being cramped or dark), and the music is at a level that allows for conversation. Really, it feels like some of my favorite little restaurants in the South of France. If I still lived in Athens, I'd be here all the time.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Had dinner during a recent visit, food was amazing. Sat at the bar and the bartenders were great to chat with and they made some great recommendations for after dinner. Food was delicious.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

supposedly a family friendly version and knock off from Hugh Acheson from the five and ten...I'll pass. Not impressed with portion size (TINY) and I just loved Farm 255 and Last Resort so MUCH better...I always nix this one and go to the others!

Reviewed December 23, 2012

I visited The national the other night with a very good friend whom I hadn't seen in a couple of years. We ate in the bar, and it was a great place to sit and reconnect. The ambience is relaxed and comfortable, and the bar tenders were superb in finding some excellent wines. My manhattan was pretty tasty, although i prefer stirred rather than shaken. The food was delicious, but the servings were small for the price. My friend had to lift a piece of greens to uncover one of the two scallops on her plate. My lamb chop was all of two bites.The tab ended up around $80, and we felt that we had to fill up on bread to feel that we had had a meal. Perhaps the servings are larger in the main dining room, I hope. If I go back, I'll probably have the wine and go elsewhere for a meal.

Been to The National? Share your experiences!