“Dinner and a movie”

Ranked #3 of 414 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Open for lunch Monday - Saturday and dinner daily; our bar also remains open for coffee and tapas during the day 2:30 - 5pm. The idea behind The National is simple: to provide a casual neighborhood gathering spot reminiscent of the bars and cafés we’ve enjoyed on travels to Europe. Mediterranean inspired food and wine is served for lunch and dinner in the dining room and throughout the day at the bar. While our menu points to culinary traditions from abroad, we value our local farmers and our dishes reflect the changing seasons in Northeast Georgia.
Atlanta, Georgia
“Dinner and a movie”
Reviewed June 16, 2011

The food at the National is on the high end of the scale when compared to other Athens destination restaurants. Like those others, so is the price. The wine selection is very good, but again not modestly priced.

For the best deal go early on a Monday or Tuesday for the "Dinner and a Movie" deal in which you will also get two tickets to Cine, the independent arts movie theater next door. Together this package deal makes a trip to the National well worth it.

• Visited May 2011

Georgia
“Not worth the price”
Reviewed October 24, 2009

The food is not necessarily bad--it's just too expensive for what you get, and they have very small portions. However, the service is terrible. The first time I went, I found a hair in my salad, and then they forgot half the ingredients in the sandwich they served me. The second time I went, it was for our anniversary, and they wrote down the wrong reservation time--despite my husband calling twice to confirm. We ended up without a table and having to wait. By the time we finally were seated, they had dimmed the lights so low, I couldn't see what I was eating. My lamb was overcooked, but my husband's pork shoulder was absolutely delicious. So while you can can usually get a good meal, I probably won't return.

AdventureAdam
“A Gem”
Reviewed August 25, 2009

One of Athens top place for elegant dining. The atmosphere is great except for the seating there is a little odd. Some of the tables are squished together so privacy and romance might be lacking with some people here, was not the case with myself. The food was great! My significant other had a flounder dish that was superb while I had a steak dish, both were great. It is a little pricey at an average cost of 20$ a plate for dinner, but it should be what you expect for the level of food. The owners of Five and Ten own this restaurants also. I would dress business casual at the least here.

Here is a great date idea:

On Monday and Tuesdays The National has a dinner and a movie special which includes a tapa, entre, drink and a movie ticket to the movie theater next door for 25$. The movie theater next door is really neat and actually has a full serviced bar with great prices! There I had a Guinness float (mmm mmm). At the movie theater they have two pictures showing that usually are of superb quality (we saw atonement, great flick). This theater is kind of a secret in Athens and sure to impress any date.

Athens, Georgia
“Our favorite place!”
Reviewed July 9, 2009

This is the perfect spot for almost anyone who is looking for wonderful food. The food is terrific, and always a bit surprising. The atmosphere is casual enough, but you won't feel uncomfortable if you're dressed up. The bar is fabulous. Attentive service... and have I mentioned the food?

Athens, Georgia
“THE most amazing food”
Reviewed January 21, 2009

How can a chef make food taste this way? All I can say is do not avoid anything on the menu. I have walked in before with friends, looked at the menu and said "I don't like _______". My friends orders it and I steal half off their plates. Its that good. This is truly a chef with talent. Try the flat breads at lunch. You may not be able to finish it all!