“Best Food we had in Athens and worth the price!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Farm 255 - CLOSED

Farm 255
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Eatonton
“Best Food we had in Athens and worth the price!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

We went to Farm 255 for appetizers and beers. We arrived around 6:30 on Saturday night - good thing - it filled up shortly after our arrival. We had the Chacuterie appetizer at the bar with Caleb, our bartender. He was fabulous - answering questions about the different beer choices, was very knowledgeable about styles and about the menu. The Chacuterie was amazing - best food I've had in a long time. The beers were great, service was awesome. The only thing that could have been an improvement was if we'd stayed and had our dinner there - it was the best food we had that night! They grow their own food and raise pigs and chickens. There is definitely a difference in the food they offer. We'll be back! And thanks again to Caleb!

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank cindys

Toccoa, Georgia
“Tasted ok - no plans to return”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

I had the shrimp and grits ($17) and was pleased with the taste. I was also pleased with the service staff at Farm 255. The one thing I definitely disliked, though, was having to ask for explanations of items I found on the menu: grana padano, orecchiette, and chevre for example. Perhaps I'd like this place more if I were actually into the whole organic eating idea.

Visited July 2011
“There weren't enough options, it was overpriced, and combinations of ingredients were strange, like tomatoes and watermelon sala”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

The pork and arugula dish was one of the most disgusting things I have ever eaten. The burger was pretty good though. The contemporary atmosphere must be what brings people there. I left hungry and very disappointed.

St. Charles
“Farm 255 rocks the house!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2011

This trip to Athens, we tried the Farm 255 restaurant. We had have supper from the cart they have at the farmer's market last summer. We had a Bánh mì and blueberry coffee cake and both were delicious.

We made a reservation and were promptly seated when we arrived. You would be very comfortable with casual dress at Farm 255 as there is no pretentiousness here. You can see the kitchen from the dining area. The restaurant itself is very open and airy and you can sit outside if weather permits.

We received a menu, a wine list and a copy of the prefixe menu that is available Tuesday -Thursday 5:30-7:30. It consists of three courses plus a little bubbly for $20. I'm sure it is subject to change. They also have off menu specials. They were also having a half price special on bottles of wine. We ordered the cab sav they had and started with the Georgia cheese plate. The little toasts were freshly grilled (crispy on the outside and soft on the inside) and perfect with the Gruyere, honey drizzled chevre, apples and toasted pecans.
We ordered the special which was the filet mignon and the shrimp and grits. We ordered a jar of the house pickles to go along.

The jar of pickles was assembled immediately before it was served so that you have several pickles in the jar. Included were a beautiful pickled egg, curried cauliflower, pickled green beans, bread and butter pickled turnip(I think) and kraut. The egg is a dark brown on the outside from the pickling. Each had a distinct wonderful taste.

The grass fed steak was done perfectly medium rare with the inside just warm. Both of us thought it was one of the best steaks we have had. It was accompanied by frites and a mixture of beets and Brussels sprouts. The sprouts were still crispy and the beets were soft. Perfect.

The shrimp and grits were heavenly. The shrimp, from Darian, Ga just by themselves were great but as part of the dish --OM goodness. The grits were creamy and the sauce was perfectly seasoned. It was one of those "I'll have what she's having." dishes.

We ordered the pecan pie to go. It has a thicker, sturdier crust than the usual flakey thin crust you see on pecan pie.

Danial was helpful and very knowledgeable. Thanks! You made our night!
Our bill was $80.
It was one of those meals that you think about later and think OMG that was good.

• Visited March 2011
2 Thank Wekick
Savannah, Georgia
“Ambience lovely, food needs more attention.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2011

Great ambience, friendly staff, but one of the most insulting meals I have ever seen anyone seek payment for. I support the idea and the people behind this place, but:

The menu said Shepherd's Pie. The dish consisted of a base of chopped root vegetables topped with a broken-up piece of toasted white bread.

That is not Shepherd's Pie.

So either stop calling it Shepherd's Pie and call it something accurate, like Root Vegetable Bowl with Broken-up Bread on It, or cook actual Shepherd's Pie for everyone and stop breaking the hearts of people who would like an edible meal when they take the trouble to go out and pay for one. Shepherd's Pie is called Shepherd's Pie because Shepherd's have lambs around and when they look for something to put in their pie they see a lamb and they put one in. They do not leave it out. Then they put mashed potato, traditionally, on top. The Shepherd's Pie being served in the Farm should be called, if attributed to a trade, Vegetable Farmer’s Root Vegetables with Broken-up Bread on It. It’s not pie. The only thing the Farm's Shepherd's Pie had in common with Shepherd's Pie was the presence of a restaurant around it.

Again, lovely atmosphere, particularly for the non-twenty something indie-rock band member, and truly awesome staff. I would gladly go back to eat actual Shepherd's Pie in this restaurant. And I’m sure the other dishes are more accurately named.

• Visited January 2011