“Good lunch spot”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Appling, Georgia
“Good lunch spot”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

A friend and I dined at Utage 12/11/2013. We both had the lunch special consisting of a sushi roll and 6 pieces of sashimi. The lunch came with soup and salad which were very good. I would have to say the sashimi was better than the roll. We each had a slight fishy taste with the roll..
Overall it was a delicious meal.

• Visited December 2013

• Korean first
Georgia
“My favorite sushi in Athens”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Utage has been my No 1 lunch spot in Athens for more than 10 years. Competitors have come and gone, and Utage, in truth, has fallen and risen through the years. But the quality of the sushi and sashimi has remained fairly constant, and fairly high considering the lunch menu pricing. The miso soup also deserves kudos. Two to five of my buddies and I eat lunch at Utage every two to three weeks, and we used to eat there weekly until I retired, and we typically order the "take" lunch.

Once a year, just into the New Year, we round up a bunch of guys and head to Utage for dinner - and we turn the sushi chefs loose to assemble a feast to celebrate the new year. The first time we did it the chefs were tentative - now they seem to enjoy the challenge and the opportunity. It's a strong tradition for us now.

As one other reviewer noted, the ambiance could use a lift - new flooring, tables, and chairs especially. There seems to be a very high turnover of wait staff which is often the case in a college town, but the guys slicing fish have been there a long time.

I ate there yesterday and look forward to the next time I can do it again.

• Visited October 2013
Athens, GA
“Go elsewhere for Sushi”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My wife and I ate here on a Saturday night. It was not empty, but not busy. Since this is located near all the undergraduate bars downtown, you can't expect outstanding sushi. However, even with low expectations, this restaurant was disappointing. The interior is fairly outdated, like a typically neglected college-town bar. The food matches the decor, which is to say that it is not fresh and pretty bland. I had the Chicken Teriyaki, which was lukewarm, along with cold vegetables and bad rice. My wife had California and Vegetarian rolls, with rotten avocado and old-tasting mushrooms. The rice was also soggy and bad. How do you mess up rice? In short, try another place for Sushi.

• Visited August 2013
Boiling Springs, North Carolina
“Great sushi and even better price”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Charming little place in downtown Athens. Our server was very helpful with recommendations, which was much appreciated since the menu has a lot of choices. The price was even better.

Visited July 2013
Athens, Georgia
“Best lunch in town”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This is a great deal if you get the lunch special. Salad, miso soup, and 1, 2, or 3 selections. I recommend the Salmon teriyaki and shrimp tempura roll. Always fresh, nice atmosphere, great service.

Visited June 2013