“Great location, beautiful hotel, lousy service”

Hotel Honduras Maya
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Tegucigalpa
Seoul
“Great location, beautiful hotel, lousy service”
Reviewed December 25, 2008

This hotel does have a lot of good aspects. The view of the city is stunning, and it is a very clean and attractive hotel. The food in restaurant serves some of the best food I have ever had in Central America. Unfortunately, it also possesses some of the worst service I have ever had in a hotel. Yes, some of the staff are very friendly but the majority of the staff (and this includes the front desk, the hostess of the restaurant, room service) are very disinterested and often annoyed when you ask for something. They often seem very reluctant to help you - they will do it, but it seems as if they are annoyed that you have interrupted them.

For me, the good points did overrride the bad. I just learned very early during my stay here not to expect any help.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank elshaneo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Miami
Reviewed December 5, 2007

Great hotel to visit if you plan on going on business. It is centrally located and the staff that works at the hotel offers good advice on places to eat and visit in your free time.

There is a concierge "Jorge" that is always willing to help guests for waht ever question they have.

This a good hotel and good value.

Stayed September 2007
3 Thank someplacelikehome
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 4, 2007

My boyfriend and I had spent the past night sequestered in a "hotel room" in La Union, El Salvador. Sheets had cost extra, the manager would not let us leave the property for fear of our lives, and the shower was located directly above our lid-free toilet.

When we walked into the spacious, newly-renovated yet still dated (in a good way) lobby of the Honduras Maya Hotel, we were done with the 0 star backpacker-hovel phase of our Central American journey. Toilet-shower combos do not build charachter, they just piss you off and make you wish your boyfriend wasn't such a cheapskate. Besides, you don't need character when you have a soft bed, clean bathroom, and reconciliation-inspiring views of city and mountains-- you just need booze, thank you, Maya mini-bar.

Our room was exactly what we wanted after many "exotic" nights-- standard above average business, could have been a nicer Hilton or a Marriott. The one thing that was far from standard, however, were the gorgeous views from our high floor room- beautiful at night, spectacular during the day-time.

The hotel was virtually empty during our stay, we saw, perhaps, a total of 20 guests other than ourselves including in the lobby, dinner, and breakfast. The receptionist's English was almost as bad as my Spanish, but we worked things out with alot of interpretive body-language and smiles and in the end the charge for our room was $60, a very good deal.

The neighborhood, I believe, is the ritziest in Tegucigalpa (it certainly looked it). We were surrounded by nice shops and restaurants, however, they never seemed to open. We went to one club which our guidebook had touted as the chicest in all of Honduras. We were seated next to the only other party in the place-- a beautiful Spanish family. At one point, the grandmother of the family leaned over to our table and asked me,

"Where is everyone?"

I don't know.

I guess don't go to Tegucigalpa for upscale night-life. I would have liked to have ventured into the real city, but we were exhausted from showering above toilets....

FYI, cocktail service in the downstairs restaurant / lounge was just o.k. Breakfast buffet wasn't great.

The pool area, however, looked fantastic. If we hadn't been rushed to get to Tela I would have loved to have lounged a bit and taken in the views-- they had a good deal of character: central american skyline, verdant mountains, a hillside complex that I decided was a convent for wealthy, beautiful girls who had succumbed to imprudent love, and a sweet old-school Coca-Cola sign.

Overall, an above average hotel, with incredible views, in an unlively upscale neighborhood.

• Liked — views, good standard of hotel
  • Disliked — totally dead neighborhood when we were there
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ssl721
New Jersey
Reviewed October 13, 2007

The Honduras Maya Hotel is definitely the best hotel in Tegucigalpa.
It offers top of the line guest service. The rooms are extremely comfortable and with a great view of the city. The heart of the city and all the top restaurants are within walking distance from the hotel. The Honduras Maya offers the best continental breakfast for the entire family and a great pool for the kids to enjoy. When I go back to Tegucigalpa, I will definitely stay at this hotel.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — Poor wireless internet service.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank COSMOS8
lawrenceville, ga
Reviewed September 17, 2007

i've stayed here twice but each time for only one night. this hotel is nice, especially for Tegucigalpa. The food is very good as well. The pool and hot-tub are nice.

The rooms are ok and smell of cigarettes. some have good views and others don't. the rooms seem very "moist" to me (that's the only way i can describe it).

international calls and internet access is outrageous. don't waste your money here. buy a calling card from "TIGO."

on the plus, there's a little shopping mall in the basement which is much safer than going out into tegucigalpa to shop.

the casino is a pretty nice amenity.

• Liked — the shopping mall downstairs
  • Disliked — the moist feeling in my room
  • Stayed March 2007
2 Thank sfollett
Paris, France
Reviewed July 25, 2007

very noisy meeting downstair until midnight, loud voice in a speaker (although i was on 10th floor i could hear any word that was said !) - the next day no meeting, but i had the noise of an elevator to keep me awake !

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank camous
Wilmington, NC
Reviewed May 1, 2007

I have traveled to Tegucigalpa previously and have stayed at the Clarion Hotel in the past. I loved the location of the Maya Hotel and the views from my room were terrific. I had a corner room with floor to cieling windows on two sides. A terrific view of Cristo Pachuco.
The room was spacious, clean and I appreciated the free wireless internet service. The hotel's location was great! It is near shopping, restaurants and it is in walking distance to the city's cathedral and main square (although the return walk up hill is not for the faint of heart). The pool is beautiful. I was quite satisfied with the front desk staff. They were helpful and courteous. The hotel restaurant served a great breakfast buffet. The food served at lunch and dinner was good, but limited. My only disappointment was with the wait staff. The service was inconsistent.
One evening friends and I had dinner at the Clarion Hotel. I had remember the food and the service there as excellent. Well, I will only say that based on that experience, "you can't go home again."
The housekeeping staff at the Maya Hotel was excellent and did everything to make sure that I had all that I needed--- even extra packets of that wonder ful Honduran coffee! I enjoyed my stay and I am looking forward to returning!

Stayed March 2007