“So awesome ”

Hotel Honduras Maya
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Tegucigalpa
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

It is a great place , modern but at the same time cultural ..big ,modern , cool, nice ,fancy , good and cultural , typical, shows story ...very good ..I visited there and when I did I stayed there ..good service

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times on business and have reviewed it before. See my earlier review for a lot of details which I won't retype. The hotel has made the following significant (IMO) improvements:
1> The WiFi works better in the rooms than it did before.
2> There are fewer problems with the key cards.
3> They put a water cooler in the gym- woohoo!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Honduran Maya for business. My room was on the floor with the Concierge Room (second to the top) and was quite nice. There was an issue with my credit card when I got there (apparently a block triggered simply by the fact that I was in Honduras) and the hotel let me check in anyway, which would be unheard of in the USA. WiFi is quite spotty throughout the hotel. Also (offsetting the fact that the hotel was so gracious in letting me check in), when I went to check out I noticed a bunch of food charges that weren't mine on the bill. It took a minor act of God to get these removed from my bill: seemed like five different staff members had to check and double-check the signature, consult with others staff members, etc. It took about 25 minutes to get it resolved.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 26, 2014

This hotel apparently has three classes of rooms. The best option is apparantly the 'executive' option with breakfast, etc. The middle option has no breakfast but apparantly has a better room configuration??? The option available for the price quoted on Trip Advisor looked as if it has not been upgraded since the 1960's. Upon opening the door to the room, I was immediately confronted with a bare lightbulb with a string hanging from it that served as its "on" and "off" option. The walls and ceiling were brick. The carpet and tiles should have been replaced years ago and as another reviewer suggested, were "horrific". The room and hallway smelled strongly of musk.

The hotel is in a relatively safe neighbourhood (although I was propositioned by a prostitute) and there are three other hotel options within walking dtstance.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I have stayed in three of the hotels in the area where this hotel is located in Tegucigalpa. Of them, Honduras Maya is my preference. Even though the hotel is old and would benefit from updating the rooms (particularly the hideous carpet and worn furniture), it is still OK. The rooms are well lit and the beds and pillows comfortable, the AC works, and the bathroom has enough hot water. Check-in may be slow, but other than that, service is in general friendly. The breakfast has a good varied food and room service is adequate. The location is convenient for me, as it is close to where I go for work, but is also easy to get a taxi to go to a Shopping Mall, some of the few places I have been told are safe to walk around in the city. I will be able to give this hotel more stars once they remodel it.

Room Tip: Some rooms have terrible views, but they can change you upon request.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Thiscarolina
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have stayed here a number of times at the beginning and/or end of missions trips to Honduras. The property is maintained and as safe as any other we have been to in Honduras. The rooms are clean, the staff is knowledgable and willing to help us anglos. We like th bar. The restaurant is great for breakfast. Dinner has been hit or miss in terms of service. The last time I had great sea bass. The question is how long will you wait? I am not a casino fan, but have been to the one attached to the hotel and find it acceptable as casinos go.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Glen M
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This hotel is a lot cheaper than some of the other higher end hotels in town. Great location next to good bars and restaurants and in a safe neighborhood. We stayed in the older part of the hotel as it was cheaper. The fixtures and fittings weren't state of the art and it could do with updating a little bit but the rooms were comfortable and clean and had great views. The lobby was grand and attractive.The service was fabulous from start to finish, the staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. The highlight of or trip was the following morning-eating at the breakfast buffet was a real treat (wide selection of delicious typical and international food and drink). We spent the morning by the large immaculate pool drinking Bloody Marys. Not perfect but so much more character than other larger and more expensive chain hotels in the area. I would stay here again on my next trip to Tegus.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends