“Hotel with a cultural flare”

Hotel Honduras Maya
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Tegucigalpa
“Hotel with a cultural flare”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed one night in this hotel and really enjoyed the local cultural experience. The service was excellent and the rooms were spacious and clean except for the carpet. It was horrible. They had a very good buffet breakfast which was included in the price of the room. The waiters were wonderful. The hotel was located in a good spot in the city with several other hotels in the same area. It wasn't overly fancy by US standards but the price was reasonable for the amenities. I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Hotel Maya is a great place to stay if you want to avoid chain hotels. On previous trips, I stayed at the Clarion or the Intercontinental because I was familiar with those chains. On a prior visit, a friend recommended this place and it I was not disappointed. This was a very nice change from the typical chain hotel. This hotel had excellent service, rooms with very nice views, a delicious breakfast buffet and a well maintained pool area. I would return!

Room Tip: Higher floors have nice views of the city.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed in this hotel in late June. Bedding and bathroom were clean but the carpets were dirty and very stained. I was extremely disappointed as the cost of the rooms were just under $200 USD.
I also ate at a celebratory banquet. The food was good with the exception of the beef. I have no idea as to how it was prepared (boiled) but it was chewy and not editable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Pat_Longwell
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I stayed one night at the Maya in June 2013 with a small group of friends. I have stayed in some of the other high end hotels in Tegucigalpa and although this one is a bit more dated, the local touches were really nice. They had Maya-inspired hardware on the furniture, Mayan art and sculptures throughout the hotel, and traditional Honduran food on the menu and breakfast buffet. The location was convenient for going out, as there are a number of fun options within walking distance.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
San Ignacio, Belize
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed hee in May of 2013 with a grup lf friends during a 3 day conference. For of us stayed in an apartment room which was rather nice and had most of the amenities we needed. The room was split into two. The top level having 2 beds, a balcony with a nice view, a tv, fridge, wash basin, closet, seating furniture and a table, phone, an AC which cooled the room very well, and other nice amenities. There is a staircase leading to the second room one level below. This room had 2 beds, another AC unit, a bathroom with hot/cold shower, a nice vanity with huge mirror, a safe box, and a few other amenties.
The hotel is nicely laid out with several rooms for hosting conferences, parties, and other events of the like. The swimming pool was nice although we didn't have the time to use it. Early mornig breakfast buffet was pretty convenient and the food was good.
The only downside of our stay was that on our last day we our shower wasnt working well with only a little stream of water coming out. I needed power for a trim one night but there was no outlet anywhere close to the wash basin.
After having left the hotel, and was half way back to my home in Belize, I was informed that I had left my sony slt camera inthe room. The staff was so kind to have submitted it to the head of security who then submitted it to the manager. After some calls and with the help of some local friends there I finally had my camera shipped home to me.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Reviewed June 25, 2013

It lies rather central, there are some bars just out the door. The hotel itself is safe, but outside you still should be careful. The rooms overlook the city and it can be really beautiful at night.
There are newer hotels around, but overall, it has aged rather gracefully.
The big pool is a definite plus.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I am posting this late but stayed at this hotel in Feb. 2010 and got a good deal on room. Hotel is nice with good security. When I go to Tegucigalpa again I will stay here. Having lived in Tegucigalpa for a couple years in 1998-2000 it was good to comeback to see old friends. I only used hotel to sleep shower and eat breakfast which was good. Otherwise I was out in the city visiting friends. This review only gave me limited options to choose from as far as when did I travel question. I put June of 2012 but I was there in 2010.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple